Super Split w/ Hyd. log lift idea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildmyown

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The clutch on my SS has seen better days so i was looking around the net for a replacement before calling Paul. Well I came across this Welcome To Jerry's Small Engine Supply Online Catalog. Start Your Savings $$$ Today... if you scroll down you will see some have 2 pulleys. Then the wheels got turning i have seen people use GM power steering pumps to drive acc. on garden tractors just happen to have a pump setup kicking around in the garage. For the valve i was thinking something like this Prince Log Splitter Detent Valve | Hydraulic Valves | Northern Tool + Equipment. The only part that im unsure of is the cylinder I do have a few extra angle plow cylinders kicking around they are only power one way so i was thinking of using it in a gravity down with a return spring setup to keep everything kinda simple. For the lift and frame work it would all hang under the beam and be held with hitch type pins so it could easily be switched around for left or right hand operation, or removed all together if not needed.

So what do you guys think waste of time or im i onto something here that maybe i should persue and do a sketch of.

Its certainly worth looking into if the machine can be made stable enough. Those kinetics have kinda a small foot print don't they? I'd be afraid the added weight off the side, especially with a large round, would make it rather tippy.

Its certainly worth looking into if the machine can be made stable enough. Those kinetics have kinda a small foot print don't they? I'd be afraid the added weight off the side, especially with a large round, would make it rather tippy.

Good point forgot that in my original post but was also thinking of adding 4 hinged out riggers of sorts.

I don't do fabricating so take this with a huge grain of salt...if your idea of a belt driven pump isn't practical, what about an electric snowplow pump and a set of heavy duty jumper cables to hook it up to a nearby pickup battery??? Wire up the splitter side permanently so it looks nice, maybe even a plug for disconnecting the power cable.

Build it! then put it to work and share!
I like the capsian winch put on Logrights SS creation. I wish thay would sell that part seperately and I would buy it

Id be affraid of a spring heavy enough to pull the lift back down...if it pops thats a lot of unrestrained energy. Outriggers, Im thinking are a must (heck, my tw-6 has a drop down foot for stability and that thing weighs a ton!).

As far as the angle cylinders go,why not mount both? Just have them oppose each other like originally mounted on the plow. Also, an electric pump set up as mentioned before like a fisher insta-act could make for a reasonably easy repurposing.

Going to try and touch on everything at once. I had thought about going with an elec/hyd setup and use the truck to power it but i want to be able to use this in areas where i might not always have truck access. Those units also use a ton of power so going with an external battery mounted on the splitter would be out of the question.

As for using the cylinders i have and a spring throw that idea out Northern has double acting cylinders that would or should work for about $100.

One problem i thought of today at work while day dreaming im now thing thinking that the motor and pulley size is going to spin the P/S pump to slow. Then i had the idea to drive the pump off the fly wheels vs the motor. I need to read up on my hyd. and get a better understanding.

Actually, if all your gonna run is a log lift, a slower pump speed may be a good thing...
Lifts run off the hydraulics of a regular splitter have to throttled/restricted considerably...

Actually, if all your gonna run is a log lift, a slower pump speed may be a good thing...
Lifts run off the hydraulics of a regular splitter have to throttled/restricted considerably...

Found this out the hard way...a friend built a lift for his and when we went to test it out, the chunk we had on there got tossed right over the machine. Solution was a spacer with a smaller hole drilled in it to restrict flow. A slower turning p/s pump might be just the ticket.

Good Point

Logrite Splitter and Processor - YouTube

I'm sure some of you guys can modify the supersplit for rounds checkout 3:36 of the vid.

I like that machine a lot but i like the small compact nature of the SS that allows it to go just aobut anywhere by hand.

Found this out the hard way...a friend built a lift for his and when we went to test it out, the chunk we had on there got tossed right over the machine. Solution was a spacer with a smaller hole drilled in it to restrict flow. A slower turning p/s pump might be just the ticket.

Good to know

The least expensive log lift for a SS would be a 12 volt winch operated with a stand alone lift. The 2000# cap. winches are on sale at Harbor freight for $50.

Ok, Switching gears a little here. How long do you think a regular or deep cycle battery will last running one of these? New idea using the winch and a good battery mounted down low and a GM one wire alternator driven by the other flywheel to keep the battery charged.

The lift part in my head is the easy part in my head i can picture the brackets piviot points and some of the geometry of it. the hard part is trying to fiqure out how to power it.

How long a battery lasts on a charge will vary as to battery size, condition, and temperature. Considering the short burst of use and light strain the battery should last most of a day on a single charge.
Shari B (Wife'n'Hubby) has been using her electric lift for awhile maybe she will chime in.

100 0123 - YouTube

I like the winch Idea with a deep cycle battery, if the battery doesn't last all day you can look into an alternator or even a solar panel to charge it. The winch can also be used for skidding out some logs if you can mount it to something solid, truck frame or tractor. As for how big a winch for skidding I don't know but I'm looking into that myself.

Back