Support your local dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lambs

Stihl crazy after all these years
Reaction score
I use one Stihl dealer more than the other two in my area. They are in the middle of downtown, have been in business over 40 years, have no AC in their shop, and know what they are talking about. They have given me great service and advice and only once done something that caused me heartburn....and they promptly corrected that situation. They also supply demo "loaner" saws (MS250s) to our local heating assistance volunteer program and then sell them as used saws at the end of each season.

I have never bought a saw from them, in fact I've only bought one new saw in my life, but I've always expected I would one day buy something other than parts. So my 17 year old Honda mower's tranny failed last week after years of excellent service. I went down to my dealer today and bought a new Honda mower to replace it, and while there I thanked him for years of support and for the support in the years to come to help us provide heat to those less fortunate than we. And it's not just him who deserves a shout out, so AS subscribers, especially dealers, thanks for all you do too. I've learned a TON from this site and from all of you on it.

Good post. It is a good thing to keep business local when we can. I don't 100% of the time, but do quite a bit- and like to think it comes back around my way when I do. :rock:

I support local saw dealers, they are just not local to me. I get alot of parts from Frawley's Saw Shop in Wisconsin, also BG's Small Engine in Pennsylvania. My local Echo dealer keeps very little parts in stock, they mostly just do sales of new machines. They are nice folks but I really don't get the impression they are interested in selling parts. It's actually easier and faster to order from a dealer out of state so that's what I do.

I support local saw dealers, they are just not local to me. I get a lot of parts from Frawley's Saw Shop in Wisconsin... [SNIP]
It's actually easier and faster to order from a dealer out of state so that's what I do.

Just placed a small order with Jim and Mary @ Frawley's last night. I called first thing this morning to delete one item from the order (trying to help out a friend--no good deed goes unpunished). Jim and Mary were both just as pleasant as could be. I gave them greetings on behalf of all AS members everywhere.

I don't have a local dealer. The Stihl seller is a small section of Ace Harware but there is no service dept. Warranty and service is farmed out to an small engine repair shop in another town. I would prefer to support the dealers/sponsors on this forum who provide valuable information on how to fix/service my saws.

Wish I had an ethical dealer near me, in the "Tri-State" area. At least I've not found one. A few questionable characters, yes.
I'll go with Husqy dealer in the Catskills, and Dolmar dealer in Greenwich NY. It's not like those saws need a lot of hand-holding. :happybanana:

They both convene some serious GTGs besides. Hand-holding goes on the ale at quitting-time. :cheers:

Another option: buy from VMInnovations-dot-com and DIY repairs, for cheapie saws.

I've found dedicated Stihl dealers to be more expensive and want payment upfront before they order any parts.

I order all my OEM Stihl parts from a local ACE Hardware. Their parts pricing is more fair and they don't require a deposit or full payment in advance. I've called them on the phone with the part description and part number, and that's all they need. No credit card number or saying that I need to come in and pay first, before they place the order.

They'll even give me 10% off MSRP on a machine if I decide to buy from them. I've yet to see a dedicated Stihl dealer do that. Their prices are more or less tattooed on their foreheads and can't be changed. :nofunny:

I can't complain about my local dealer, they cut me a break on price and know me by name. Also a small ace so I can get more then just saw stuff there. Plus the wife like their little knick knacs

Latest posts

Back