Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us know the ring end gap when you fit the rings to the new pistons.

Yep...really need to know that......if the other ring was to tight and the saw got hot enough and the ring ends butted up.....no place to go except the exhaust port.......I always check end gap.....from my 4 cycle days......don't remember ever having to file a ring end on a saw......but I still check...

Yep...really need to know that......if the other ring was to tight and the saw got hot enough and the ring ends butted up.....no place to go except the exhaust port.......I always check end gap.....from my 4 cycle days......don't remember ever having to file a ring end on a saw......but I still check...
I always check the end gap , don't member what it was now ? So I am very sure that didn't do it . The old ring pieces is in the trash . LOL

I always check the end gap , don't member what it was now ? So I am very sure that didn't do it . The old ring pieces is in the trash . LOL

Good......probably not that then.......I wish I was clever enough to write that kind of thing down and keep a record when building a saw......be handy in case of problems........

Good......probably not that then.......I wish I was clever enough to write that kind of thing down and keep a record when building a saw......be handy in case of problems........

Always keep a ledger on ported saws, usually give it to the new owner, include all pertinent info including all changes from stock settings, new parts, OEM or AM, port timings, firing advance degrees, compression etc.

Yes , you and Ron both did ! LOL

The few Cabers I have used were a tad looser in the ring gap than OEM rings in the same bore, see I always check this stuff out. I usually have OEM rings on hand for my rebuilds and like to check the bores out with a new OEM ring first, take measurements at the 3 common places. Then I will check the same with the AM rings, some are tighter and some looser but very seldom do I ever have to file ring ends in modern saws.

The few Cabers I have used were a tad looser in the ring gap than OEM rings in the same bore, see I always check this stuff out. I usually have OEM rings on hand for my rebuilds and like to check the bores out with a new OEM ring first, take measurements at the 3 common places. Then I will check the same with the AM rings, some are tighter and some looser but very seldom do I ever have to file ring ends in modern saws.
Only time I member filing one was making one to big fit a smaller bore . LOL Even worked ! LOL

Always keep a ledger on ported saws, usually give it to the new owner, include all pertinent info including all changes from stock settings, new parts, OEM or AM, port timings, firing advance degrees, compression etc.
I got one with my MM 064 ! Its here some place ? Know right where the saw is ! LOL Should get it out and fire it up , been a good while sitting on that shelf !

With some of the older saws having square end rings, where they had no ring end pins in the piston I have had to file those rings to fit. Always figured that a lot of the replacement rings were purposely made a little oversize, highly recommended to always check the gap on square ended rings.

I must have missed sumpin.

hsell and I were just talkin nice finally.

That thread got way too far off topic and once the name calling started up again it was time for it to be shut down, this is a chainsaw forum after all. That gun fight can be taken over to the off topic forum, if it continues over there minus the name calling I am sure the moderators would let it run.

That thread got way too far off topic and once the name calling started up again it was time for it to be shut down, this is a chainsaw forum after all. That gun fight can be taken over to the off topic forum, if it continues over there minus the name calling I am sure the moderators would let it run.
Oh yeah. The name calling was stupid.

Hey jerry.

Latest posts

Back