Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad day today building my saws. Carbs bad on the 044. Seems like the L is staying open after WOT.

The 440 I replaced the elastostart got it set good. Put on the saw. Was dying to start it. After a few pulls started up. Was too rich on idle so it stalled out. Adjusted. Went to start again and pulled.... no resistance what so ever. The Flywheel is moving but not moving the piston... sheared Flywheel key maybe?

Carb kit is gonna get bought this weekend and new key installed on the 440. Thanks for the tips on making sure everything is clean clean clean. Do you use a torque

I have the torque wrenches, all of them but I really don`t need one now, I can set the nut close to 25 lbs every time with just the shallow socket on a 3/8" ratchet. I use that same ratchet every time, that`s important because a longer handle would increase the leverage and I would over torque the nut. The stihl nut on a Stihl crank can withstand over 60 ft lbs, I have tried it with a 3/8" drive torque wrench on an old beat out crank. I used a torque wrench a few times to get a feel for the torque but now I have that feel and don`t need it any more.

I couldn`t even begin to count the times I have tightened the nuts down on chainsaw flywheels. Do the same on outboards but have been turning wrenches on mechanicals since the mid 60`s, anything on wheels,tracks or skies, even things that flies, prop driven so the arm gets used to how tight some things need to be. I always use torque wrenches on engines, especially cylinder heads.

I have the torque wrenches, all of them but I really don`t need one now, I can set the nut close to 25 lbs every time with just the shallow socket on a 3/8" ratchet. I use that same ratchet every time, that`s important because a longer handle would increase the leverage and I would over torque the nut. The stihl nut on a Stihl crank can withstand over 60 ft lbs, I have tried it with a 3/8" drive torque wrench on an old beat out crank. I used a torque wrench a few times to get a feel for the torque but now I have that feel and don`t need it any more.

Very true Jerry.......if you notice...most Euro cars come with a rather short handled wheel wrench......this is designed for the average person to torque the wheel lug to correct torque using max effort. Harley shovel heads and pan heads have a similar rig to torque head bolts.....looks like a 12" wide staple with 3"long legs...which are actually for 3/8" drive sockets.....one leg has the flats parallel to the length......the other end...the drive flats are 45 degrees to the length........when braced off you can, rather accurately torque the head bolts by pulling to near wrench failure...you can tell when it starts to give....no room for a conventional torque wrench....

I'm always trying to have our local mechanic let me get a torque wrench and he says no, he says he just sets his wrist angle and it pops at the right setting.

Back