Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some long needed repairs on the island camp over Thanksgiving week....replaced the old skirting that was in very rough shape. Base skirting is very necessary here.....high run tides with a good blow can put a floating tree/log in under the camp and can knock the posts right out. So I tore off the old and replaced with some good used 5/4" X 6" pressure treated I had kicking around.....got two most important sides done....damn rocks were crooked.....still have one end yet to do.....need a few more pieces of 5/4...next spring I hope...

View attachment 465865 View attachment 465868 View attachment 465870 View attachment 465874 View attachment 465875 View attachment 465879

Real nice scribing job ya done there Robin! Your camp is very close to the water....LOL

Real nice scribing job ya done there Robin! Your camp is very close to the water....LOL

Thanks.......I had the time...as you know, doing such work, you strike a level of work and it has to stay that level all the way through.........my highland ancestors would have been proud too.......did the whole thing on one sabre saw blade!!!!!

Oh yeah....folks don't believe me when I say that waves can and do break right over the ledge and camp and up into the woods behind at times........like someone tossing a 5 gal pail of water against the kitchen windows every 2-3 minutes......has to blow due west about 40knts to get that effect at high tide......

Thanks.......I had the time...as you know, doing such work, you strike a level of work and it has to stay that level all the way through.........my highland ancestors would have been proud too.......did the whole thing on one sabre saw blade!!!!!

Oh yeah....folks don't believe me when I say that waves can and do break right over the ledge and camp and up into the woods behind at times........like someone tossing a 5 gal pail of water against the kitchen windows every 2-3 minutes......has to blow due west about 40knts to get that effect at high tide......
Making a lil bit/blade go a long way....yep!

Slipped down to page 3 again, everyone gone off to the Hooskie conventions, no wonder its so quiet in here.
Yeah...well...ya know....Sthil guys ain't got that much to brag about...so it gets quiet now and then if the others go away...I meen...you know how it is....

No braggin but still getting stuff done up before winter sets in. At least got all the firewood I need piled under cover of the woodhouse. Bayliner all dry n snugly wrapped up, winterized for this year. May still make another camp run this coming weekend, still hauling stuff up there for next seasons renovations.

No braggin but still getting stuff done up before winter sets in. At least got all the firewood I need piled under cover of the woodhouse. Bayliner all dry n snugly wrapped up, winterized for this year. May still make another camp run this coming weekend, still hauling stuff up there for next seasons renovations.

Yeah.....all done with camp for 2015........weather is looking good the next week or so but the Seaway is in the process of fluid changes etc..headed back home to flush the drive and heat exchanger...then into the boathouse for the winter......wish the Glastron was good to go...might be tempted but that is another project....perhaps by spring...

I can run the Princecraft Starfish with the 45 tiller up to the camp until the lake freezes over, its as fast as the Bayliner but no where as comfortable but then again its only a 15 min run if the wind is not kicking up too badly.

Yep...used the 15 foot Glastron with first a 55 Johnson and later a 70 Johnson for 10-12 years before I got the Seaway.....used to be about the same speed but since the new 225 Hoss MPI 4.3 install the Seaway is about 10 mph faster. Like the Glastron as it's quick and easy to use plus I can land it on the beach to load and unload.......but this time of year the Seaway is a much safer and more comfortable choice. Only two types of sea conditions here this time of year.........flat calm....or downright snotty.....generally the latter. Damn tilt tube on the Johnson is made of steel and keeps rusting inside which pinches the steering shaft which passes through the tube.....they make a nut with a grease fitting and seal which keeps the water out and grease in...had one on the 55 but some Bozo cut the threaded part of the tilt tube off flush on the port side of the 70 so no place for the nut to be. Trying to get a sharper steering angle I guess. Anyway there is a guy who sells a new stainless tilt tube for around $70.00....gotta pick one up I guess....steering stuck tight right now....

Nice option to have steering, don`t think I would leave home without it...LOL
Those tilt pins should be ss from the outset, no place for regular steel around saltwater anyway. I keep all mine greased heavily and they all tilt but have seen plenty seized up from no grease and not being used.

Nice option to have steering, don`t think I would leave home without it...LOL
Those tilt pins should be ss from the outset, no place for regular steel around saltwater anyway. I keep all mine greased heavily and they all tilt but have seen plenty seized up from no grease and not being used.

This one tilts fine as it has grease fittings on the outside but the inside "grows" rust and pinches the Teleflex steering shaft....which is stainless...but your right why not just use stainless for the tube to start with? The nut and seal deal worked great...keep the water out and the inside flooded with lube all the time...but as I said when I changed to the 70 someone had cut the treaded end of the tube off flush with the locknut.....of course I didn't notice that when I bought it.....and being a fresh water motor it wasn't an issue then......I don't think I've evah , evah run that motor in fresh water...

IMG_20151205_130546.jpg

Stihl the best .
Have a good run Jerry !

Yep....have a good run Jerry....I flushed the engine, heat exchanger and drive unit, sucked the warm oil out, changed the filter and put the Seaway in it's boat house today...no more camp runs for me until spring. Beautiful day here...clear, calm 45 degrees 'Merican ...got a lot done. However it's a "Dark and Stormy" night here......though the weather is clear and fine.....

Back