Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my father's sworn arch enemy......Andrew is now 89 I think.....he put this boat into service and raced his first race with it the year my father passed away...1998...I saw her go then and told my Dad....he wouldn't look at the pics in the paper or speak about it...LOL...he was 92 himself. Andrew repowered last year...original power was a V12 Mack rated at 1050 hp.......good power for a 36 footer. New power a mere 700 hp Volvo..... Andrew is still at the helm and racing....she still goes pretty good...but not like she did....

2018 Lobsterboat Races 368.JPG 2018 Lobsterboat Races 376.JPG

Big excitement around those boat races, havn`t heard of any lobster boat races up here for many years. The NSBRA still hold some races but they don`t run lobster boats.

Yeah I think it's mostly a Maine thing......they race up and down the coast in different ports from Jonesport-Beals to Portland.....12 races in all. This one was well attended but as I said there was only one boat that is a dedicated race boat all the rest were daily drivers......years back when the plastic boat builders were all in fierce competition they were pretty wild.....with dedicated race boats laid up real thin and powered by big blown/nitrous injected gas engines in the 700 plus cubic inch. Boats like Holland Bros "Red Barron" and the Young Bros "Sopwith Camel" and Duffy's VOOP really took it to a whole new level!!! Those were wild engines.....$30,000 -$50.000 each and were built like dragster engines but had run at MAX for like a minute rather than 7-8 seconds....

Here's an old grainy pic of the Camel at speed!!!
http://www.maine-lylobster.com/2017/06/the-history-of-maine-lobster-boat-racing.html

A few more....but I guess the files are to big so you'll have to click on them....

Attachments

• 2018 Lobsterboat Races 408.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 2018 Lobsterboat Races 403.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 2018 Lobsterboat Races 401.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 8
  • 2018 Lobsterboat Races 409.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 8
  • 2018 Lobsterboat Races 410.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 2018 Lobsterboat Races 423.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 8
This is the "Diesel Free for All"...... no limits for length or HP.....Just must run on oil...... so Cameron Crawford's "Wild Wild West" has no competition being 26 foot with a really zoomed up twin turbo, Isota V12 that was rated at 1050 hoss stock.....not a daily driver....strictly for doing this....you the smut around the black boat? That came out of Cameron's boat.......takes her about a quarter mile making thick black smoke before her turbos get hot enough to really get things moving......boy then she cleans up and really goes!!! This sequence of pics show what she does........mind you the rest of these Diesel craft in this race are doing 40mph or better!!!

Attachments

• 2018 Lobsterboat Races 427.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 10
  • 2018 Lobsterboat Races 428.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 2018 Lobsterboat Races 430.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 9
Thanks John.......here's another vid I dug up from years ago at the first ever Harpswell Lobster Boat Races.....pretty good vid overall but about the 8 mins mark has some real great footage of Richard Duffy's VOOP and you get to ride along in her in that race......if you like the sound of nasty big blocks really cranking turn the volume up!!!!! These boats get up around the 75 mph mark......the builders competition race boats, I mean like VOOP the Red Barron and the Camel I & Camel II etc. I knew Richard pretty well and my father and I finished off one of his 34' Duffys and then he wanted to use the entire top as a plug to take a mold off of so he could offer the hull and a nice drop on glass top for the 34s....I worked with his crew making the mold and getting it off our boat....we knew this going in so every thing was tilted in just a tad so as to release and real smooth......I did all the glass work and faring on the top as well as my share of the carpentry. 1978..........that's where the money came from to buy my 59 Harley....we used to call our paychecks "Fiberglass Dollars"

Dam.......just put in for vacation for the month of July next year.
Ain’t gonna miss them next year.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate......beauty day this year but sometimes it's rough, foggy or just plain raining or any combination of the above!!

Had a little time between conferring with the mason concerning the steps in the new chimney and cricket at the latest copper mine at put together Edwards reclaimed 562XP that was locked up but was actually only a broken clutch shoe. Made up a suitable clutch from two broken ones and installed it. Had to order a piston stop as I didn't have a 10MM one. Got it all together after grinding the bar rails and chain.....started right up and ran great.....Called Edward...said he'd be right over. So he shows up with another broked 562......this one was nice looking for one of Edwards saws....first they had the clutch cover off but the brake was on...finally got the lever retracted and put a B&C on it and tried to get it started.....felt pretty weak on compression but couldn't do a comp test as....again....no 10 adaptor but it failed the redneck comp test.....went right to the floor on the cord??? Pulled the muffler and no scoring and the ring could be depressed with a pick???? Sparkplug had a dull gray buildup on it.....ran out of time but I 'spect a broke ring or a hole melted in the piston.....nevah a dull moment with Edwards saws!! Edward said it was running and sounding funny.....it had only fit about 100 cord of firewood in 90 degree weather....!!! All good though... got an 8 cord load of hardwood on the way!!!

Latest posts

Back