SUV questions which one to get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you said no foreign stuff, but for family SUVs it doesn't get better than a Honda Pilot. When we had our 3rd child (2004), we decided that we needed the third row. I drove absolutely everything, so I could make a sound choice. I've never been happier. The 3.5 has 270 HP, yet still gets at least 5-10 mpg more than the trucks you're talking about. Absolutely solid handling, independent AWD, can't say enough good about it. Great on the highway, very sound in light off-road stuff, pulls a decent trailer very well. Just have a look, that's all I'm saying.

good luck, Matt

Wife has a Toy Sequoia now but had a suburban a few years ago. I wish we didn't get rid of the burban. Stay away from the Sequoia if you are worried about repair costs. Nothing cheap on it to fix. The suburban ran great with 180,000 miles on it and had more room than anything else.

I am also a Ford man, but I am very impressed with the Tahoe and Suburban. I can't afford to have a truck and a big family car, so my family currently gets by with an Escape and will upgrade down the road to a bigger SUV with a 3rd row. I know that it is out of the OP price range, but the newer model Z71 Tahoe has a locking rear differential. That would make a big difference in the slick stuff. That is almost enough to make me want to buy a Chevy! I love the Expedition, but the IRS is not as tough, although it does give a smoother ride.

As for the OP, consider getting a 4x4 SUV. If you are hauling firewood with it, I bet that you will run into situations where you need the extra traction.

I can't afford to have a truck and a big family car

My 02 Dodge 2500 is both my firewood hauler and my family car. Can't see doing it any other way. Much easier and cheaper to maintain 1 vehicle. I have no complaints from wife and 3 kids on raod trips and I get to drive my truck all the time. Recently beefed it up with custom exhaust, cold air intake, and Edge chip. Much more fun now !

I'm a Ford truck guy, but I'd buy a Suburban as a SUV, I like them better then the Expedition and a LOT better then the Explorer. A Tahoe is nice too, but you really don't gain anything and lose a lot of space buying the shorter vehicle.

As much as I love the Cummins engine, I don't think Dodge trucks (especially light duty and SUVs are very good with these newer engines)

I am a ford man but i have a soft spot for sunurbans:blush:. I would look for a '02 to '05 with a 5.7 vortec. They have great power and have 3 rows of seats.

I am a ford man but i have a soft spot for sunurbans:blush:. I would look for a '02 to '05 with a 5.7 vortec. They have great power and have 3 rows of seats.

I sell far more used 5.7's than I do 5.3's and the 5.3 will cost you half as much to replace. I was a real big fan of the 5.7 until the 5.3 proved itself.

I sell far more used 5.7's than I do 5.3's and the 5.3 will cost you half as much to replace. I was a real big fan of the 5.7 until the 5.3 proved itself.

i have no experience witha 5.3 but i have seen a 5.7 equppiped burban tow a 20' car trailer with a full sized chevy c20 through the mountains of wv with out a problem. Looking at the 5.3 (i assume the 305) it looks like a awesome engine. I said the 5.7 out of experience

This. My 02 Pathfinder has 189k on it and I havent had any prolems. Original struts, original lights all the way around, original everything. And it doesnt sound like its going to crack into a million pieces
160K on my 00 Truck
110K on my daughters 01X
24K on my wifes 06X
You might say Ive had good results out of nissans.

I like my '03 Pathfinder. but.. the 3.5's are known to spit screws from the intake butterfly valves into the block and grenade it, and a baffle at the pcv valve tends to clog, causing excessive oil consumption. Any rig has it's weak points, if you know 'em you can often remedy it. Saw a good fix thread somewhere, here is a start:

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/953-2002-pathfinder-severe-engine-damage.html

Though at 189,000 miles I think you're safe.

Something to consider, uni-body -vs- body on frame. The uni-body typically gives you a better highway ride, while body on frame is a more rugged set-up. Kinda wish I went with the 4-runner for that reason sometimes. I do like the styling of the Durango, and looked at them..but..didn't buy.

Edmunds reviews are pretty good.

the 3.5 is a VQ engine isn't it?

Nissans do have another weak point. The interiors have a cheap look and feel to them. they hold up, just dont look like quality.

This. My 02 Pathfinder has 189k on it and I havent had any prolems. Original struts, original lights all the way around, original everything. And it doesnt sound like its going to crack into a million pieces

those pathfinders are great suv's
theyve been known to soak up jumps on the turnpike at 70mph with no problem

i have no experience witha 5.3 but i have seen a 5.7 equppiped burban tow a 20' car trailer with a full sized chevy c20 through the mountains of wv with out a problem. Looking at the 5.3 (i assume the 305) it looks like a awesome engine. I said the 5.7 out of experience

nope,the 5.3 is the 327.tried and true solid engine.mine sports 325hpand gets avg 18mpg .

must be some flat roads and a real light foot to average 18mpg with a 327cubic inch motor!
or did you mean you get 18mpg on the highway on average?

nope,the 5.3 is the 327.tried and true solid engine.mine sports 325hpand gets avg 18mpg .

Actually, the 5.3 is a 325.1 cu in motor. Complete different design than the old 327. Hp(unless juiced up :) ) is 285/295 and 325 ft lb torque. Yes, they get good milage for a v-8.

Of the 2 the OP mentioned, Id go with the durango. Theres nothing wrong with the 4.7 motor. Newer and better design than the 5.2(318) or the 5.9(360). The 4.7 is a Mercedes design and build.

2000 durango

Our experience with our Durango has been good. No major problems, routine maintenance and that's about it. Not great mpg though, approx. 15-16 hwy. 170,000 miles and runs good still plenty of towing power. 3rd. row seating gives all the kids room to spread out too. MHO Scott

You may want to take a look at this one of many negative reports regarding 4.7's....

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/dodge_dur_oil.html

I sell used engines, and a 4.7 is notorious for premature failure.

I scaned through them. Seems that most of the years listed would have been pre-4.7. Not saying there a great, but id opt for a 4.7 over the 5.2 or 5.9. My wife had a 01 with the 4.7 and had 140 something thousand on it when we traded it in. The ONLY thing ever done to it was the power steering pressure sensor since it was new. It may be locked up by now though.

My personal perfrance for a suv would be a tahoe with the 5.3, but it wasnt a choice. BTW, Nice avatar :D.

Latest posts

Back