swabish vs. distal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new Sherrill's catalogue has a nice illustration on page 18. Never tried either, but I can try them now that I see how to tie them.

i prefer the distal (clove family); better than the swabish (prusik family). They are two diffent machines, with diffrent characteristics. Just because the same elements are used in building a house; doesn't make them all the same.

Well, so far, I only have the Sherril spliced tenex for tieing the Schwabisch/distal. And so far, my prognosis is that the knots are Ok, but can slip on occasion, as well as bind up a bit under a heavy load, thus making them far less desirable than my Vt., the undisputed king of friction knots, at least in my book, and all my converted friends.

What other cordage are you guys using? Seems a stiffer material might be more likely to slip?

i think that material slippage in the same knot will be directly related to amount of contact (size of footprint on host) and flexability (ability to choke around host tightly).

Guess i'm going to have to retry this VT though!

Advanced Friction Hitch Cord

Guys!

Try New England T-900 8mm / $1.89 a foot at WestMarine.com. I have found this line works great with all the new advanced friction hitches. New England also has some Vectran cords and Kevlar cords that are bulletproof! I'm getting some samples to see if they are better than the T-900, I'll let you know how they preform!Check out neropes.com for Stats!
Here's a page with a variety of advanced hitches:http://community.webtv.net/acutabovetree/RopesSplicingKnots

Rigging it down,
X-man

Last edited:
I agree with rb that the vt. is the best of the new knots, though it has a tendancy to lose its "set" when pushed up by the slack tender on a long ascent. Swabisch has never done that (using Sherrill tenex), but tends to tighten up too much. I did'nt like the distal when I tried it.

Distal - Swaybish problem ???

I'm using Sherrill's yellow 12 strand eye-to-eye cord. It seems that after alot of use ( when the cord starts to get really supple and broken in ) the cord bites real good but doesn't release worth a darn. This is after sitting on it for a while. Has anyone else experienced this? Rich.

I've been using that 12 strand in a swaybish split tail, and thought I was the only one having a problem. When it was new it grabbed tight and released easy (to decend), but its gotten so sticky that I find I have to footlock the falling end,( to take the tension off the hitch) and break it loose. I think its made of a line called TENEX. If it continues I'll switch back to a blake's hitch.

You could try another knot configuration. Try adding wraps above or below the crossover.

You can go back in the archives and "maybe" find a link to X-man's page. He has generously posted pictures of almost all of the climbing hitches being used. I'd post his URL but I think that if I did, I might be joining my Cheesehead partner at a necktie party :)

Rather than going back to a Blake's you could try another accessory cord for your split tail. When I double crotch or don't have my Lock Jack along I use 3/8" New England double braid that I get from West Marine. It's cheap and opens up nicely.

Tom

Tom, I take it that is a soft double braid, but stiffer than the spliced tenex, now no longer hollow. Sounds good; think a 7/16 size would also work? I find the Tenex adequate, but a far cry from the Vt. But I use it a lot for a false crotch, or retrievable redirect.

i don't think anyone agrees with me, but i like the distall in 3strand, favoring NEsaf.Bl. HyVee, i go 1 down 3up, make em' and replace'em when needed; lanyards too. i try to have a newer lanyard/ older tail or reverse for more immediate recognition.

I got some 3/8 PS Ropes polyester double braid today, and will try that. My wholesale source had no 7/16 available, and will get some 1/2 inch soon. I think the 3/8 will be too small and bite too much, but we shall see. If I find the perfect combination, I might not be such as Vt addict.

I also saw their Vectran, which is even more expensive than Plasma. It was developed by Cortland Cable, which specializes in small lines. (They bought PS Ropes to be able to have the Plasma line). Vectran has almost 0 creep, and was first used for space shuttle tethering, as well as weather balloons and other giant balloons for moving cargo.

Anyone want to buy some 1.75 mm Zing It, I have over 600 feet more than I need, you can have it for 9 cents a foot, plus no more than a couple grand shipping.... or see me in Seattle.

I am using 8mm Sprectra on 13mm yale XTC with a 5 wrap french prussick, its sweet.Bits well and releasses easy.
Anyone else using Spectra?
My trainee will be using 10 mm Spectra.

Rob,

I'm sold on the 5/16th UltraTech for Vt, 6 or 7 wrap. Isnt the spectra softer? It also is not as heat or abrasion resistant as the Ultratech. I think 8 mm is close to 5/16 in size. I assume you are making your prussic shorter than the typical 23 inches (I think it is) for the 6-7 wrap- which is 3 or 4 wraps and three crossovers or weaves.

I also just got 600 feet of the new Samson Gold Streak, it is purty!! We have some retired Blue Streak for handlines, thus the gold stuff. Dan Kraus will help us splice 'em up!! We have some of the white 16 strand Yale, it is nice, tightly woven, just not as strong as the Samson. It is a bit on the small side too.

Rog

Greenery wil grow about anywhere here in the PNWet, as you can see:

I guess its that I can pick spectra up five minutes away at my local marine supplier. i have used altratech found it too stiff for my liking and, for me, hard to get hold of . My mate uses the 10mm Spectra as he uses a standard length pussick.It looks bulkier so thats why I will give it to my trainee,sometimes looks help when your learning.
Yeh my prussick length is shorter to compensate for the smaller diameter other wise it would bite to hard.

Rich,
The rope is not your problem, it's the hitch. The Distal and Swabisch are great knots to know if you are writing a history book of knots, or to impress freinds that you can tie many useless knots, but to actually climb on them, I don't know.

Back