Sweet gum treating me right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bert the turtle

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a fair number of sweet gums that needed to come down. When I first got my land and needed to clear some initial areas, it all just got cut and thrown on the burn pile. I didn't have a splitter or anywhere to put it and it had to go.

A year or two ago, I had a few that I needed to clear and I had some space in the barn, so I cut them into 2 or 4 foot logs depending on diameter (it is plenty heavy when green) and just stacked it up to see what happened. No chance on earth I could split it other than for fun/workout. I also had small stack of 1 foot rounds.

I've finally got the house built and the wood stove in and I don't yet have a great supply of wood laid in. The one foot lengths of gum were nice and checked and looked pretty dry, so I threw them on a bed of coals, and they did a great job for the last month as overnight logs.

This weekend I went out to see how the longer lengths were doing. They two foot lengths looked reasonably checked while the four foot lengths had a bit of mold on the ends and didn't look so dry.

Much to my surprise, when I cut them to 16 inches for my stove, they were not at all difficult to split. Slabbed off as easy as oak!

The 6 inch remnants were even easier to split and I just gave them a single whack and split them clear in two. I popped 4 of the 6 inch halves in 3 or 4 hours ago and I've got a tasty bed of coals, the glass is clean as can be and nothing but heat waves coming out the chimney.

I know sweet gum is a reviled firewood due to the difficulty of splitting. Looks like in my climate, all I need to do is cut it to length and stack it for a year or two in the barn. Then it splits easy as can be and burns just fine. My house is very well insulated so gum heated the whole place very comfortably even in the unusually cold weather we've been having. It is extremely available and regrows quickly from the stumps. It may be an odd choice of firewood, but preliminary indications are that could be a mainstay for me.SweetGum Fire.jpgSweetGum Fire.jpgSweetGum Fire.jpg

I thought the gum I split and stacked ended up drying very light - like balsawood. it burned really fast and did not last.

hey, good for you and what a pretty stove!

Yep, let em sit in the round until well and deeply checked, they become tolerable to split.

I take it sweet gum is a tree?

Very common around here. It ain't bad burning, just sucks to split green, stringy as an over mozzarelled pizza, and more twisted than lady gagme.

I have a lightning struck big triple leader in the yard I have to do this spring, already got big widowmakers hung up, up top. It got hit with lightning same as those big oaks I did previously. My this years stack was leaning on it and just the other day finished getting the wood out. Going to rope that one up and wedge it good, it has to go one way and one way only when it comes down.

That one I am bucking to twelve inch, not my normal 16. I'll get a few pics when I do it. I *think* a dude up the street wants it, and he wants small rounds and splits anyway, we'll see on that. Either way, short rounds. The logs would be sellable if not for being a yard tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidambar_styraciflua

Use Yahoo - type in Sweetgum Maple Tree. Look at the third item down -- lots of pictures under the heading of Sweetgum Maple Tree.

Got one of them in my yard that I just cut down last month - it died from the drought of 2013. I guess if it is yours (mine) I can call it a pine if I want to. :)

Here is one photo from Yahoo's site under the heading
Sweet Gum Maple Tree.
Use Yahoo - type in Sweetgum Maple Tree. Look at the third item down -- lots of pictures under the heading of Sweetgum Maple Tree.

Got one of them in my yard that I just cut down last month - it died from the drought of 2013. I guess if it is yours (mine) I can call it a pine if I want to. :)

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 13
Here is one photo from Yahoo's site under the heading
Sweet Gum Maple Tree.

That's just plain vanilla sweetgum. I'll show ya (just did this) use the same yahoo search, just put in sweetgum, nothing else, third link down like before to the images

About all I burn anymore is sweetgum(liquidambar styrociflua) Nobody will buy it and I get lots of it. To me it burns as good as any wood would, but I try not to get too scientific with my wood heater.I fill it up about 4 time a day be it oak, hickory or sweetgum. The fire produced is sufficient to keep the house warm, good enough for me. But it's not a maple.

Latest posts

Back