Swelled Cylinder ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before buying a ring set, have a machine shop ACCURATELY measure your cylinder bore. They should measure six places to determine taper and out-of-round. Hundredths of an inch is not accurate enough to determine if your rings are worn or the cylinder is worn. If you measure the ring end gap in different parts along the piston stroke, you may be able to find some taper in the bore.

3) multiplying your measured ring end gap by the rough diameter of the bore is unneeded information.

Measured ring end gap is dependent on a good bore. Remember that ring end gap increases .003" for every .001" increase in bore size.

Good info from everyone...thanks again for the tech help.

Last tidbit, if you will ................

You need to slide the rings down to where they wear against the cylinger wall to accurately measure the gap.

The lower part of the cylinder does not have the rings scraping against the wall, so it wont be worn there, best to get the ring(s) down into the bore with the piston deep enough to see the gap where the wear is the most.

Bet you if you measured too close to the bottom of the cylinder, when you put the ring(s) down further into the bore, the gap increases !!

Good math ...........

Last tidbit, if you will ................

You need to slide the rings down to where they wear against the cylinger wall to accurately measure the gap.

The lower part of the cylinder does not have the rings scraping against the wall, so it wont be worn there, best to get the ring(s) down into the bore with the piston deep enough to see the gap where the wear is the most.

Bet you if you measured too close to the bottom of the cylinder, when you put the ring(s) down further into the bore, the gap increases !!

Good math ...........

Good point. I only slid the rings into the bore approx 2". To be honest...I don't think I can get my hand into a cylinder that has a radius of 1.3 inches:D If I just had a pet spider monkey that could read a feeler gauge;). I have built radio controlled model planes w/ motors bigger than this blower.

Good point. I only slid the rings into the bore approx 2". To be honest...I don't think I can get my hand into a cylinder that has a radius of 1.3 inches:D If I just had a pet spider monkey that could read a feeler gauge;). I have built radio controlled model planes w/ motors bigger than this blower.

I use the piston to push the ring down into the bore.
When I open any of my feeler gauges, I dont need to put any fingers down into the bore
you just need to see if your feeler gauge has a slight drag to it as you pass it through the ring gap, not necessary to reach down into bore with hand or fingers.

Latest posts

Back