Swingin round with ropes like monkeys! VS metal and leather!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to go back once you use Smurfies, ESPECIALLY if you enjoy climbing in the rain. When your hands are soaked for hours, they're really soft and susceptible to injury. Smurfs help a lot. On the backside is cotton, so they breath well when the weather is hot.

The Sherrill catalog has had the same testimonial from the same cat going on almost 7 years (p 48) that pretty much says it all. ;)

treeseer said:
I got 2-4 but rarely need them.
then there are the tools of the Older School of spikeless climbing:
1. 32', or better, 40' Ladder
2. Polesaw

Climb to the top of the ladder, tie in w lanyard.
TIe snap end of rope into monkeyfiist, toss to a good branch. Or if branches are too thick to toss, push up knot with polesaw.
Pull monkeyfist down with poesaw, tie in.
Bodythrust up.
Repeat.

Bro that sound like a bit of a mission!
You ever cut your rope with the pole saw?

Heres a idea, get a small karabina and clip your throw ball to the end of your climbing line knot throw that for the branch. Its even easer if you have a spliced rope

Do you use the pole-saw when climbing?

What happens if you cant get the work truck anywhere near the work site, you have to carry the ladder, pole-saw...

Most defiantly the 'Harrison rocket' throw ball is the best

Last edited:
Who me? Na mate i don't use a pole saw, was asking treeseer about it, and advising him about the rope-throwball method.

Bro that sound like a bit of a mission!
*It's routine once you get used to it, and faster on many trees.

You ever cut your rope with the pole saw?
* Never. Grab the knot/biner with the hook, not the blade. :rolleyes:

Heres a idea, get a small karabina and clip your throw ball to the end of your climbing line knot throw that for the branch. Its even easer if you have a spliced rope
*Great idea, I often do that.

Do you use the pole-saw when climbing?
* on most trees it saves time and effort and makes cuts that ar eimpossible to reach. Also use it to pull branches to within handsaw or secateur range. I'd rarely use a polesaw if it didn't have a telescoping handle.

What happens if you cant get the work truck anywhere near the work site, you have to carry the ladder
*Then it's time for the bigshot, or fling like TreeCo.

bumping the thread up, just for sh;) ts and giggles.........

i dont climb with spurs OR rope!!!! i use an ancient west indies technique of humming loudly, until i can elevate myself upwards......

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

as clearance said at the start live and let live wot eva you have to do to get the job done.fair play to you for telling us how you work.

i admit i dont fancy 110 foot poplar no rope all credit to you. i am not saying i agree with your ways. each to there own. :greenchainsaw: all the best mate.

????ing idiot

056 Kid you are fighting scientifically proven evidence. Wait maybe you dont know what scientifically proven is, your small brain cant comprehend scientific. Regardless you are an idiot that all I have to say:spam:

Good luck with Asplundh. They are a lot of old school guys atleast around here. Most of them are rough characters that have been through a lot of divorces and are missing teeth. I don't condone spiking on prune jobs but i've seen it done and spiking a tree leaves openings for pests and diseases that would otherwise not be able to penetrate the deep enough into the tree to do damage without an opening.

John Paul Sanborn said:
Come with me sir, you are being charged with aiding and abetting a troll

Na, let them go hard JP. Let this be a off topic thread with no relevance, a thread for people to argue freely with out ruining other good threads.

Just make sure you guys that have nothing worthwhile to say post in this thread ONLY!

:deadhorse:

Back