Swingin round with ropes like monkeys! VS metal and leather!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you folks noticed how good some people are at BAITING others in the discussions? I guess we all have to be MASTERS at something!!

okay. i cant resist this one. too perfect. let's see here. i have heard of a master conductor, master head chef, a master arborist... so what do you suppose a persons title might be if he were a master of baiting?

metal and leather!

Sounds like your talking about your night life, the Freddy Mercury, Rob Halford way! hahaha

Trignog that is a hilarious post. On a serious note, one of the worst moments in rock was when Rob Halford came out. I can never listen to rockin after midnight again the same, ruined a good song. Rockin after midnight till the dawn.... yeah with some guy Rob, you homo.

jason j ladue said:
we have been engaged in a bit of...well, let's call it "an exchange of opinion" via PM- and suffice it to say- this is not an adult. what we have here is a (typically) excitable teen. , he sent me a PM this morning that makes me think there may be hope for him ...good job kid, keep it up.
Good job by you, Jason, hearing someone, who is still developing, until their head levels out. The rest of you guys who are so quick to beat down someone who obviously wants and needs to learn--apply a little patience, tolerate a little bravado while you beat the anti-spike drum. I'm on my 3rd and 4th teenagers in the house and have learned that if you have no tolerance you will get nothing but rebellion.

Re lethal yellowing, I'm no palm guy but even if insect-frond vectors have been identified, that does not mean that spikes definitely cannot spread disease. Plus they do make palm trunks ugly.

Re spike damage in gereral, I'll again attach this documentation of a 50" oak's death due to spikes:

The second oak majestically defined the edge of the historic district in Fuquay-Varina. Two years before, the Capital Trees Program had given it an Historic Tree Award. The lightning damage seemed just slightly wider than the first, so the arborist started treating the wound as before.

**Below some old pruning cuts halfway down, a portion of bark over 4’ square was detached. Curiously, it wasn’t near the lightning wound! Insects had entered wounds made by climbing spikes and eaten away the cambium.**

That climber must have dug in his spikes to keep his balance as he cut, with Great Expectations that those little holes couldn’t possibly hurt that great big tree.

Added to the lightning wound, this human-made injury put the total dead bark area over one-third of the circumference. Despite insect control, fertilization, and, belatedly, mulch, the prognosis was poor. Little scar tissue grows, and half the crown is pale. The tree’s useful years were over, clearly due to the use of climbing spikes.

(The tree was taken down a year later. AC bill went way up after that.)

Last edited:
I'm no homophobe MB. Just lookin over some old Priest titles, they have a whole new meaning now. "You've got another thing coming"! hahaha no kidding!

056kid, you need a job this Summer? We could talk about the duties and responsibilities, but using spikes will be a minor component of the climbing. If you ever wish to have a job with any company, other than Flintstones Tree Care, it will likely be the same. We'd all really like to see you performing to your full potential. Your skill will stagnate if your climbing future remains dependant on using spikes.

Becoming a good climber on spikes is not very difficult, like riding a bike with training wheels, and it imposes technical limitations (per JP, jumping from stem to stem, or footlocking). Have you ever done a long limbwalk with just a leather strap and spikes? Doubtful. Man, you will love the freedom. It's not harder to climb spikeless, except in the beginning, and only then because you naturally want to default to methods you used with spikes. Once you get over that, there's a whole new climbing world ahead, and a far wider potential to be hired by other companies.

You are the first one who has actually made using ropes sound ok. Most others brag upon it like they are going to sell the equiptment which has been smelted from "old school" spikes to make beaners and fancy gadgets. I am by all means willing to try new things

I know all the jazz about safe and harmless tree climbing, but letting all your weight sit on a harness and a rope is just a bit over the top. There is no skill or talent involved with climbing any more. I climb with gaffs and a safty belt. How many folks still climb like that? How many have even done it at all?

if youve never done it who are you to say that there is no talent in it? not many people still climb with gaffs and safty belts because they know there are more effective ways of doing it.. which will be faster, safer for both the climber and the tree. i would like to see you do an arial rescue with your spikes and belt. What would you do go up there cut their belt and toss them out of the tree?
if i were you i would give some serious thought to learning new ways . allot of people are catching on to the idea of modern arbor culture.. and once home owners see that they have choices , either the guy who puts little holes all the way up every lead of a tree , and takes 8 hours to deadwood it . or the guy who can do it with no holes at all in allot less time and even gets into the tips to get all of the deadwood and not just what can be walked out on with gaffs.

ohh and look at MCpeaks site. click on the firewood part to find out why his wood costs more then the rest of the worlds. *lol its not as good as his other section .. but it got a chuckle out of me. maybe I'm just easily amused. :dizzy:

arborman said:
...not many people still climb with gaffs and safty belts

Unfortunately this is simply not true. We here at arboristsite are NOT in the majority...yet.

love
nick

yea your right on that one nick. I just needed to think outside the box for a min there *lol . in my mind though when i think of an arborist i think of people who know trees and know them well. And who are always changing ways with the times to keep up with the latest and greatest in the industry.
but i do realize that what i think of and what really is could be very different.

056 kid do things the way you want to do them. Just keep in mind that working aloft can be dangerous and all it takes is one misshap for someone to get seriously injured up in a tree. and someday you may be the only one there to get them down. you should have a plan to put into action one way or another.

will do. To me honest one of the biggest thing that keeps me from getting into the new shcool more is money! I have been climbing with pole spikes for crying out loud!

056 kid said:
will do. To me honest one of the biggest thing that keeps me from getting into the new shcool more is money! I have been climbing with pole spikes for crying out loud!
If you're not making enough to buy basic gear then you are either underpaid or...

056-I spent most of my money on booze, broads and gambling-the rest I just wasted. Get a hardhat with a mesh screen and earmuffs, decent belt and spurs, steelcore lanyard and a couple of new ropes. And some sawpants for when you are back on the ground.

Latest posts

Back