Synthetic in small engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built my splitter with a used 8 hp Briggs in 1990.Use cheap Walmart 10w30.18 years without any problems.Change oil at beginning of splitting season,and add Stabil at the end of season.Usually starts after 3 or 4 pulls.2 years ago after sitting for about 7 months it started on 1st pull.If I had a more expensive engine I would maybe use a better oil.Also my hydro tank leaks some and I have always used Walmart auto tranny fluid.$6.98/gallon

I have Mobil1 in all my little engines.
I think the snowblower starts easier in cold weather.
For automotive, it's probably best to follow the mfr's recommendation.
For example, the newer VW diesels require a special oil because if not, the cam lobes that drive the unit injectors fail.
On my older VW diesel, I've used Mobil Delvac1 every 10k miles for the life of the car, which is 212k miles now.

Last edited:
Pro would be good lube qualities, cleaner engine...Con would be price.

+1.
I run Mobil 1 synthetic in all my small engines (tractor, splitter, snowblower) You only have to change it once a year, most people don't do it that often. I can do all three of mine with 3 1/2 quarts, which equals $12/year in oil for them. And I have a 1/2 quart extra to put in the tractor, as it burns about that much over the summer.

I've ran Amsoil Synthetic oil products and filters since the mid-1980's. I used regular oil in them until just after the break-in period and then switched it over to synthetic. I still use it today. I ran two identical weedeaters as a test. Both were Greenmachine Blackwidow weedeaters. One was ran with the Amsoil 100:1 oil and the other with the manufacturers recommened 2-cycle oil. The one ran on the standard 2-cycle oil lasted me 11 years before it crapped out. The other that was ran on the Amsoil 100:1 full synthetic oil last me almost 23 years before it crapped out. Both weedeaters were used to the full extent of seasonal labor, serviced the same time, and attempted to keep it all as fair tested as possible.

All I know is the results I got....your mileage may vary. :)

Latest posts

Back