Synthetic winch lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrataTree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My employer has a couple Morbark chippers with cable winch line. He is getting ready to replace the cable. I'm curious if any of you guys have much experience with the synthetic lines that are available and what you think of Them. I'm tired of gettin those damn barbs from the cable embedded into my fingers !?!? Any input is welcome, thanks!

Amstel Blue

All the chippers that are at the office I work at have the amstel or amsteel however its spelled blue line and they are really nice. They are lighter and I think (ymmv) easier to pull out of the spool. It is hard to believe that they are as strong or stronger than steel cable but with the new synthetics they really are. you wont get barbs in your hands but i would still wear gloves because as the line gets older the outer will start to wear and it will cut your hand sometimes

Ive used both morbark and bandit 1890 chippers both with steel winch cables and amsteel. once you use amsteel, you will never go back. its amazing the stuff that it will pull, its light weight, has no memory, and the best part is, you wont get stuck with steel barbs in your hands. We never broke an amsteel winch line, but broke several steel cables. its also nice when you have to set up a re-direct pulley or carabiner to route around an object or something. the steel cables always worried me running through a pulley, and i would never let one rub against a carbiner, but with the amsteel, its never a problem.

The Amsteel is okay just dont beat up the working end by hooking back around itself. Brush or logs or whatever your dragging with it use old sections of rope or slings to hook it up... and dangnabit if it breaks take the time to splice the end and not tie a frikken bowline in it! **** ain't cheap.....

Latest posts

Back