Synthetic winch rope question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'll take your word for it. All of the rigging ropes I have and have looked at are dynamic. I could see where there would be uses for static rope...but I just haven't shopped for that - I don't do a lot of big rigging as we don't focus on big removals.

Mustang71

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
So is the double braid polyester rope real stretchy? It's a 16 strand. I say some stretch is ok but not a lot because the come along cable is only so long. With my crappy rope I have you can use the while come along cable up before it's done stretching.

I'm sort of stuck deciding between the double braid and the synthetic winch cable. Obviously I'm not an arborist and most trees i cut are in the woods so I don't need a rope. This one is in my yard and an ash tree and I'm noticing that all the other ash trees are starting to die so I want to take this one down before it falls down.

greengreer

greengreer

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
16 strand is not really a double braid, even thought it has a core/cover. The core is merely to help hold roundness under load.
It will be stretchy given the construction compared to a double braid of the same material.

Like jeff posted (in a most extreme and awesome situation) you can preload some stretch into the rope and the peice will follow the stretch as it goes.
For the come along I would look at the stable braid, staset or similar.

Mustang71

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Ok so now I'm confused lol. If I search pulling rope the double braid polyester is what comes up as low stretch rope. Also the synthetic winch cable says low stretch but that's not a double braid.

I'm thinking that if electricians are using double braid polyester for pulling wires with winches then it should work for me.

Jakers

Jakers

Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC
winch line will be the most firm rope youll be able to buy. it may stretch a bit but it doesnt store that energy. its just tightening the strands in the rope to a certain point. happens every time you release load and handle the rope but not if you load it, release the load, then reload it without messing with the rope to loosen the strands again.

next would be a double braid rope like stable braid or sta-set.

if you want a bit of stretch but not near as much as your old rope gave you, look at the dynamic ropes like Yale dynasorb.

For the record, even cable and chain stretch... why do you suppose they are so dangerous when they break

Mustang71

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I smashed my tail gate when I was a kid with a tow cable they are scary. I got a double braid polyester rope coming 150 feet. Being in the construction trade knowing that they use them to pull wires I was sold. I'd still like to get a synthetic winch cable this is the first I've herd of such thing so I was on the fence about such a small rope with such strength.

Jakers

Jakers

Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC
should check out the More Power Puller at tree stuff. its a come-a-long on steroids....

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=1924&item=1856

1856.jpg

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The maasdam puller, which many use, uses 3 strand rope.

If you are attaching your come along to your pull rope, use a prussic loop on the end of the come along cable. Then you will be able to capture any slack in the system and extend your come along out to its fullest.

gemniii

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite

Latest posts