T/F Copper nails?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammering copper nails into a tree will kill it.

• Total voters
Im not a pro so I cant speak for sure, but I can tell you this, there was a plum tree next to my driveway that had to come out, so when I put the saw to it, it got its revenge inside the stump was a steel rod covered in copper (about 3/4" round, a foot out of the ground and I would say 2 foot into the ground) needless to say I was getting a new chain after that, but the tree was doing alright with it in it, it was about 4" inside the tree completely covered over by the tree.

who knows who thinks of these things. customers beleive anything someone will tell them that they dont know about. then when you show up there they know it all, even if its wrong. i hear about that copper nail thing a few times a year.

fubar2 said:
I cant imagine trying to drive something as soft as copper into a tree tho.

I believe the copper nails are some type of alloy, not pure copper.

I've never heard that putting copper nails in the tree will kill it, but I have heard that many copper spikes or tubing put in the ground around the tree will kill it slowly. I don't know if there is any truth to it or not??

Ive heard it only works on walnuts. Ive cut a couple copper nails in trees before. NIce thing is it doesnt do as much damage as a steel nail.

yes, copper can kills trees IF it oxidizes and is absorbed by the tree

i just checked the mythbusters fan site and there are a ton of posts on this subject and most beleav it is true, one guy thinks the wond from the nail would alow an infection bad enough to kill the tree, another clames a frend actuly did it buy puting an iron nail in the tree next to the copper one

What is missing is scientific or documented real proof.

There's also plenty of people believe they saw aliens or got a ride but it doesn't make it true.

Anyone got links to some valid facts like a uni test etc?

I didn't quite find the 'scientific' evidence but did find bazillions of sites, forums, blogs, etc. where arborists and foresters eye-witnessed copper nails NOT kill trees. I hear homeowners 'recommend' this practice to other homeowners fairly often as well. Some say driving them into stumps will speed decay...likely another myth. In one forum our city arborist Nolan Rundquist is even quoted saying the copper thing is false based on his field experience.

Anyone with an understanding of the biological processes within a tree knows exactly how to kill a tree...many with a simple pocket knife...but I'll leave it at that so as to not give the visiting homeowner any ideas.:confused:

Latest posts

Back