Tach/compression testor/other tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moronmountain

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First off, is this a good tachometer? Bailey's - SenDEC STS-5000 Shop Tachometer If not/so, is there something better for the money, or do I need to spend more? I'm looking for something that is easy to use, but good quality and accurate. I am also looking for the same qualities in a compression tester. I really want one that is specifically good for chain saws and maybe other small, single cylinder motors like dirt bikes, mowers, etc. Lastly, can someone also recommend a good case splitter that will work on Husqvarna and maybe Stihl as well?

These are 3 tools that I've identified, that I think I need to keep working on my saws, but I am open to recommendations for other tools that are useful.

I have tons of professional quality hand tools (Snap-0n, Cornwell, etc.), so I understand the value of a good tool.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited:
Most folks on this site use the FAST-TACH - handheld and wireless.

Very good quality and accurate..also you can replace the battery.

You can order from "Edge and Engine" a site sponsor here.
:cheers:
J2F

First off, is this a good tachometer? Bailey's - SenDEC STS-5000 Shop Tachometer If not/so, is there something better for the money, or do I need to spend more? I'm looking for something that is easy to use, but good quality and accurate. I am also looking for the same qualities in a compression tester. I really want one that is specifically good for chain saws and maybe other small, single cylinder motors like dirt bikes, mowers, etc. Lastly, can someone also recommend a good case splitter that will work on Husqvarna and maybe Stihl as well?

These are 3 tools that I've identified, that I think I need to keep working on my saws, but I am open to recommendations for other tools that are useful.

I have tons of professional quality hand tools (Snap-0n, Cornwell, etc.), so I understand the value of a good tool.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I have the Sendec and like it for the small size, conversely this works against the digits being seen if you are trying to watch your RPM in the cut (you can attach the unit to the handlebar), and so if I bought another it would be the larger unit mentioned. Ideal to have both to cover all situations.

Yeah I did search and came up with the same nothing your links did lol!

I guess it only works for the person who did the search. I click on them and they work fine. The 1st one has 17 pages of Tach threads (with "tach" in the title). The 2nd one has 3 pages of compression tester threads (with "compression tester" in the title). Sorry it didn't work for you.

I guess it only works for the person who did the search. I click on them and they work fine. The 1st one has 17 pages of Tach threads (with "tach" in the title). The 2nd one has 3 pages of compression tester threads (with "compression tester" in the title). Sorry it didn't work for you.

It's cool. My main reason for a new thread was that I had multiple questions.

First specific tool I ever bought was a compression tester, unfortunately I bought one of those with the rubber end that are intended for car engines, so pretty worthless unless two people are involved (try cranking a chainsaw whilst holding one of those tight on the spark plug hole). To be honest, I've never really felt the need for a compression tested anyway, pulling the exhaust muffler usually tells me all I need to know.

I then bought a set of what we call obstruction spanners, you probably call them obstruction wrenches. Little spanners that can be used at awkward angles.

I'm pretty biased these days as I chose to stick with Stihls so I have acquired various Stihl specific sleeves and pullers, but the major acquisitions have been my EDT5 tach which I bought cheap (and don't see why the later EDT6, 7 et al, are any better at the job) My ZS tool which splits and reassembles everything I've needed to work on since (Stihl only) since I bought it and hopefully... if the guy really has posted it, my most expensive addition, the Stihl pressure/vac test kit.

Oh, and my arbor press, seldom used, but good to have when you need it.

Last edited:
First specific tool I ever bought was a compression tester, unfortunately I bought one of those with the rubber end that are intended for car engines, so pretty worthless unless two people are involved (try cranking a chainsaw whilst holding one of those tight on the spark plug hole). To be honest, I've never really felt the need for a compression tested anyway, pulling the exhaust muffler usually tells me all I need to know.

I then bought a set of what we call obstruction spanners, you probably call them obstruction wrenches. Little spanners that can be used at awkward angles.

I'm pretty biased these days as I chose to stick with Stihls so I have acquired various Stihl specific sleeves and pullers, but the major acquisitions have been my EDT5 tach which I bought cheap (and don't see why the later EDT6, 7 et al, are any better at the job) My ZS tool which splits and reassembles everything I've needed to work on since (Stihl only) since I bought it and hopefully... if the guy really has posted it, my most expensive addition, the Stihl pressure/vac test kit.

Absolutely!! Trying to use a regular bench vise as an arbor press is an exercise in frustration.

Laser Tach

I have a nearly new, used three times to tune two new saws, Neiko Laser Photo Tachometer listed on the 'bay right now if anyone is interested.

I see these quite often, they're nice, easy to use, hand-held, can be used on most anything that rotates. I like it but just don't have enough use for it. It's been sitting in it's original packaging, on a shelf in my warm, dry office for two years....time for someone else to use & enjoy it.....:)

Check it out, do a search for "Laser Tach", it should come up. Same user name as this forum....Fred482

The EDT7 replaces the 5. The EDT8 will be needed for the "C-M" models. Not sure what a 6 is.

Latest posts

Back