Tachometers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you guys use tachs to tune the saw? or is there another reason to get one?
I tune by ear or tach, but with a rebuild I tend to tach on a rebuild so I can set it a bit rich, or if I'm doing the idle on the older saws with the low-rpm clutches, but a quick tweak I'll do by ear, especially on a brushcutter, switching between blades and line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a comment about tuning by ear. Like a lot of us, my high frequency hearing started going in my teens. Race cars and rock-n-roll! Shooting with no hearing protection too as well as chronic ear infections at a very young age. Bottom line, I never know for sure what I ain't hearing. A tach is a needed tuning crutch for me. Got a few other priorities between now and New Years but then I'll score a tach. I'm sure once I have it I'll find other uses for it.

Hu

Just a comment about tuning by ear. Like a lot of us, my high frequency hearing started going in my teens. Race cars and rock-n-roll! Shooting with no hearing protection too as well as chronic ear infections at a very young age. Bottom line, I never know for sure what I ain't hearing. A tach is a needed tuning crutch for me. Got a few other priorities between now and New Years but then I'll score a tach. I'm sure once I have it I'll find other uses for it.

Hu

Same here. Thing is, I rarely use a tac. The same tuning when you were 14 is still the same tune now. Your hands should feel what your ears can't hear. Most tuners know when a rev-limiter is present or a problem exist. You can quote me on that. I feel bearings going but rarely ever hear them till it's too late and they bang and/or grind away.

Ask the the guys who fell day in day out. They know right away when something is going south in their saws. I tune almost lean and run-um hard. Almost ever day the past two months has required a daily tuneup. The price you pay for living on the edge. If you were almost def I see the constant need for a tac. If your totally def your feeling would be so "tuned" I don't think you'd need one. If your blind I just wana watch :) and learn some good tips for cutting.

Same here. Thing is, I rarely use a tac. The same tuning when you were 14 is still the same tune now. Your hands should feel what your ears can't hear. Most tuners know when a rev-limiter is present or a problem exist. You can quote me on that. I feel bearings going but rarely ever hear them till it's too late and they bang and/or grind away.

Ask the the guys who fell day in day out. They know right away when something is going south in their saws. I tune almost lean and run-um hard. Almost ever day the past two months has required a daily tuneup. The price you pay for living on the edge. If you were almost def I see the constant need for a tac. If your totally def your feeling would be so "tuned" I don't think you'd need one. If your blind I just wana watch :) and learn some good tips for cutting.
I couldn't agree more!! If I even so much as slow down in the cut I'm looking for the reason!!

Chainsaws might be a bit much but there is a program to teach the blind how to turn wood on a lathe, pretty amazing. I hear some of the sightless are really good.

It's been twenty years or so since I tested my hearing. Some areas were 75% good, some 75% gone, some gone. Not much between 75% good and 75% gone. Even twenty-five years ago folks got a chuckle when they brought a car in with a problem. I'd get my wife from the front desk. "OK, girl, I hear it knocking, but is it dull or sharp. Does it sound like tic tic tic or ticka ticka ticka?" Believe it or not we had diagnosed enough engines together that I don't recall ever missing a call.

Now when I'm running my lawn tractor or diesel tractor they sound completely different depending on if the wind is blowing or not, and which way the wind is blowing compared to the direction I am driving. Running something daily I am pretty comfortable. I haven't ran the saw enough and won't be running it daily anyway, so I need a crutch to back up what I think I am hearing and feeling. Way back when I could tell when a circle track car lost fifty RPM without a tach. My last sprint car had a tattle tale tach mounted outside the cockpit down low. When people noticed the tach down there they asked how the heck I read it down there. "Not a problem, I step out, check the maximum RPM I turned, and reset it. I can't change rear gears while I am on the track so I don't care what I am turning." I might not hear open exhaust perfectly but I could certainly tell when it was hitting the right note!

If I run the chainsaw much with the tach to back me up at first I will probably get there with it where I recognize the song it should be singing. I only have one saw and a toy now, couldn't run them for a lot of years up till a couple months ago, so I'm the one that is most out of tune! Can't afford to burn up my one saw.

Hu

I use a echo branded oppama tach although I also have a wireless Stihl tach as well. Just like the wireless oppama the best, I have large hands and the Stihl is just to little.
I believe a tach is invaluable no matter how good your ear is, no one is capable of determining a couple hundred rpm on the newest generation out there. We notate the tach readings on a customers saw when it comes in and then after it is tuned before going out, it creates a nice paper trail when it goes out on spec and lil Johnny then takes a screwdriver out and leans their saw out and fries it then comes back in crying the blues.

The tach is very handy in determining if clutch springs are weak or if the idle is too fast. 100 rpm does make a difference on the clutch engage, especially on certain clutches as was stated in a previous post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back