Take down with no safety line available

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cntrybo2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am by no means an experienced climber, just starting out. I am looking at taking down a tree that is dead. It is not rotting yet just has not leafed out at all this year and is obviously on its last let. The problem is this; there are no trees near by that I can run a safety line to incase the tree fails. This means no place to bail out if all goes bad. Anyone have any guidance on this issue? i am looking for the grey haired advice on this one, you guys didnt get old by being dumb. help me out!!

The first thing you can do is approach the tree with a good plan on how to get it down in the safest way possible for you, for any hazards, and any property that it may damage in the process.The second best thing you can do would be to get us some pics of the tree, top to bottom, and the surrounding area it is in. Dead or dying trees are very dangerous to climb and without a good tree nearby for a safety I would STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST CLIMBING it. You get 20' or more up a seemingly strong limb with about 150# plus of climber and gear; the last thing you want to hear is that loud CRACK when the whole brittle thing gives way. Making the determination on the soundness of a dead tree takes experience. How brittle are the branches? How brittle are the limbs? Toss a throwline with a weight up in them and give it some good heavy pulls( WEAR A HARDHAT w/ SCREEN) You can take a lot out of a dead tree this way without even climbing it! Thump the trunk, remove the bark, and probe it with a long screwdriver to see how solid it is. You can use a ladder tied securely to the main limb if it is strong enough and, after setting a pull line, cut each limb near the trunk, and have your groundie pull them down and away from property into a safe landing zone. If it is too big to reach the higher limbs this way then you need a bucket truck. Remember this above all else... the more trees you do, the more experience you gain, if you do not have enough experience to tackle any given tree then do not risk your life in the attempt. There will always be other trees to do and in time gain the experience to do one you could not in the past. I hope this has helped, now if you will excuse me I have to go look at a used bucket truck for sale:biggrinbounce2:

Minimum 3 guy ropes on it, if no other trees to anchor the guy ropes to, then stake them.

Also this gives you the ability to stability test the tree.

Upon climbing try knocking off as much weight as possible on the ascent. Natural crotch rig as much as you can to reduce the 2X factor at the pulley. Nice easy does it style.

Pics would be good, when your finished.:D

I don't have to many gray hairs yet but have been doing this long enough (20+ years) to advise if you are not sure what you are doing, sub it out and watch and learn or walk away. This type of work does not allow for any second chances, probably not what you want to hear, and the truth hurts, but it won't get you killed like a bad decision in a tree. Be careful.

Last edited:
I don't have to many gray hairs yet but have been doing this long enough (20+ years) to advise if you are not sure what you are doing, sub it out and watch and learn or walk away. This type of work does not allow for any second chances, probably not what you want to hear, and the truth hurts, but it won't get you killed like a bad decision in a tree. Be careful.

I'll second Dadatwins on this. If you are doubtful it is not worth the risk.

What kind of tree is it?? Some trees fail from the top down, others will look solid but will fail at the stump. Elms for example have good strong wood years after they are dead but will break off right at the root flare and are not safe to climb in as little as 2 years after dieing. There are others that fall into this category and some such as cottonwoods almost (I said almost) seem safer to climb when dead because no leaves equal a lot less weight on brittle wood. Take care and be safe and like others said if you are not sure don't climb.

you never know

be carefull this is dangerous work and without seeing the tree i cant make a judgment but there are always other options than climbing it sub it, rent a lift, call in a veteran climber and pay the man what he is worth ect. just remember healthy trees uproot all the time and dead ones sometimes stand for years and vice versa. you never know how strong something is so unless your 100% sure dont do it.

face cut back cut :D no tree is worth getting injured over you can fix the land scape allot easer if you do not get injured when it falls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want intelligent advice?

If you want advice on removing a hazard tree with the potential of killing you, take it seriously enough to post a good enough variety of pics so that intelligent advice can be given on the best way to get it safely on the ground.

Buy a cheap digital disposable camera, have it put on a CD and upload it on your post.

It's your life.

jomoco

Let me be frank.

If you are neither an experienced climber, or experienced at rigging dead wood from a lift... take a pass on this one, or get someone who is to do it with you.

Trees like this are full of all kinds of nasty little surprises. Hinges that don't hold. Rotted wood where there shouldn't be. Shock loads that sent branches crashing all over. Water can pool in voids and freeze, creating fracture zones.

You wanted some experienced expert hazard tree advice... there it is.

=)

Erik
www.netree.org

Last edited:
I am by no means an experienced climber, just starting out. I am looking at taking down a tree that is dead. It is not rotting yet just has not leafed out at all this year and is obviously on its last let. The problem is this; there are no trees near by that I can run a safety line to incase the tree fails. This means no place to bail out if all goes bad. Anyone have any guidance on this issue? i am looking for the grey haired advice on this one, you guys didnt get old by being dumb. help me out!!

A Tan Oak that had been dead for 2 years that I dropped scared me a lot. The trunk was solid, but it broke into three sections when it started to go over. The very top 15' came straight down and landed about 12' from the stump and stuck in the ground . The 20' middle section went over for half way and then broke away from the trunk section. The trunk section went where I thought it should go. This was about a 24" diameter tree.

Get someone with experience to ATLEAST be there to help you through it. I've been climbing since 1990 minus 4 years in the Marines and I HATE climbing dead trees! DANGEROUS! Nothing wrong with walking away or getting someone more experienced to either do it or walk you through it.

Oops! I don't have any grays yet......I don't think......but that's my advice anyway.

Last edited:
Take down

What is around the tree? How big?
What kind. Got to have more info!!

I'm also a rookie (climbed when I was younger), but I'm back at the
rookie stage for now.

DGDrls

Back