Take that, you f%$!!**g chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We have all had saws that taxed our frustration to the limit and made us want to reach for a big hammer and end the misery. What is the most extreme thing you have done to a chainsaw to kill it? I have a friend who had a Skilsaw 1629 that quit and wouldn't start once too often so he walked it down to the lake and threw it in. Claimed he got it 20' out from shore.

When i was a little dumber and impatient I launched my old ryobi saw across the back yard at our cabin. I think it flew about 40 ft then bounced and rolled another 15. It barely got scratched and I still use the damn thing 6 years later. You know you have cad when you buy a 140$ part for a saw that cost 120 new just. Dealer said i was nuts.

As said a chainsaw is toward the simple end of "infernal combustion" engineering so if all components are present & occur at the correct time it can't help but go.Also if I had a saw that for some reason I hadn't fathomed, wouldn't go/run properly I wouldn't smash it I would set it aside & use parts for spares more so if the parts for it are hard to source Having a "Hissy" fit won't solve any of the problems & possibly regret later.

Maybe its just me but I havn`t ever let a machine beat me/stump me yet no matter how big or small they are just machines designed and built by humans. When I was first learning how machines worked there were times that they had to come apart multiple times but I was stubborn enough to fix them right even when I was told they couldn`t be fixed I would just scoff at that . After fixing so many of them I developed a knack of knowing just what to look for in a chainsaw , a whole lot of info can be gleaned just by slowly pulling a recoil out and feeling plus listening to the moving parts, then the visual inspection begins with the tear down. Have never to date needed to toss or beat a saw out of frustration, to me that would be admitting defeat....LOL

Chainsaws are really simple machines, if they don`t start easily and run 100% then they need attention from someone with the experience necessary to fix them correctly.
And some are really poor designs like the homelite 410. Always something different wrong with it. I can fix just about anything except a poorly designed product! That one needed to go under the dozer track! CJ

As said a chainsaw is toward the simple end of "infernal combustion" engineering so if all components are present & occur at the correct time it can't help but go.Also if I had a saw that for some reason I hadn't fathomed, wouldn't go/run properly I wouldn't smash it I would set it aside & use parts for spares more so if the parts for it are hard to source Having a "Hissy" fit won't solve any of the problems & possibly regret later.

A saw doesn't have a will or a mind of its own - if all the components are right, it HAS to run. I keep telling myself that . . .

You have those saws that no matter what you do they won't run... Check the plug its dry and getting spark, its getting fuel and not flooding, screen is clean, you work on it for hours then let it sit overnight and it starts three pulls the next day runs great!!!

Back