Talk me into it.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercut469

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all. I fall and block my own firewood, about 5 full cords per year. It is a mixture of red maple, white birch, and some softwoods. The hard woods are mostly 8 inches and under and never more than 16 inches (and that may be say only 3 trees per year that big). Softwoods range but mostly 8 to 10 inches and under. Right now I use a Stihl MS250 I bought new this year. Very happy with this saw, I feel for the price it's high quality and it does the cutting I ask it to with no trouble at all. I also used it to help a good friend block 8 cords of roughly 8 inch softwood this fall.

But.... this is turning into a hobby/obscession and it seems like 1 saw just might not be enough for me. I'm saving money over the winter and hope to have something like 600-800$ in my savings account by spring to buy a new saw. Not a "I need saw" but a "I want saw".

I figure the MS250 has me covered for the 45cc range - yes I know it's not Pro but I take very good care of it (clean air filter every couple hours of cutting, file chain every couple of tanks, only use fresh fuel mix using Stihl oil, planning a new spark plug and fuel filter each spring) so I don't think it would be smart to buy another same sized saw. I feel my Stihl dealer gave really good service (not pressure on me when I was buying, slight discount below the stihl canadian flyer price, discounts on chains, files, and oil I buy there, checked saw with his tach for proper idle and open throttle RPM) so I probably will buy my next saw from him because of his customer service.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a MS361. I know this would be a big step up in power for me and put a stupid smile on my face. Couple questions:

1) What size bar should I get for it, assuming at first my budget only allows 1 bar the first year? 16 on my MS250 is big enough, but maybe a 18 or 20 would save some bending over a bit. Would I lose my horsepower to drag going 18 or 20?

2) Is there any way I should consider the MS390 to save about $100-$150? It seems to be almost as much power, a little heavier. I am NOT a 8 hour day 5 day a week cutter, so should I look at this saw instead? I once spoke to a husqvarna dealer in another area who told me a homeowner-type user like myself had no business buying a pro saw because "the way it's made, if it's not running right you'll burn it up worse/quicker than if it was an older design saw" (said specifically about a 357XP vs. a 359). That made no sense to me, and I think that guy was off his rocker.

3) Husky is the only other dealer within a reasonable distance of where I live. The dealer seems good but never having bought from him I can't say for sure. When I've had such good experience with my Stihl guy I don't know if I should even consider buying from someone else? Saws I would look at here would be the 357XP or the 359, maybe the 460.

For what it's worth to you all where I live I can get the MS361 for about $700+tax (15.5%) or the 357XP for about 780$+tax.

I'd say that since you have the 16" bar covered, 20" would be logical. You're right about that Husky dealer... he's nuts.

Ian

If you never cut more than 16" I would get (I did get) an 18" bar. You really can feel a difference in balance with a 361 with an 18 over a 20. Go to the shop and handle both. The nose is noticeably heavier on the 20" whereas the 18" balances better when hanging from the front handle. If you handle both and don't feel a difference, then by all means go for the 20". That said, anything that I cut cut with an 18" is all that I want to heft onto the splitter.

I'd save your money and wear out the saw you now have. That is unless you just want a new saw. Buy yourself a couple of new bars and chain, oil, etc. Long term food-storage is a good investment. By the time your saw gives out, there might actually be a saw that cures cancer.

For the size of your trees, you don't need a bigger saw, but they are fun! There are dumber ways to spend $800.
I think what the husky dealer meant by trying to talk you out of a pro saw, is that they are tuned closer to the "edge". Higher compression, more advanced spark, higher rpm, etc...
Probably a 359 would last longer running 2 year old mix with a tear in the intake boot than a 357xp... You don't sound like that kind of owner at all so get whatever you want. I have a 372 which pulls a 20" bar in anything you can bury it in, maybe a 361 can do the same too, never seen one run.

I also split with a maul so sometimes I rip a starter cut in rounds that I can't split, 24" white oak crotches, etc, or almost any fence line hardwood have a few big rounds that I need some help with. I'm assuming a 372 is bit better for this.
Anyways, you won't regret getting a pro saw, after a couple days of cutting the price difference seems like a great deal!
Ian

For what's it worth....

When I was at the Stihl dealership for some odd stuff I went and picked up a 361. It did feel nose heavy. I didn't check what size bar was on it. The chain was really sharp!:) I didn't see any warning signs saying be careful of the sharp chains. I guess they figured people were going to use common sense!

I like the warning sign I've seen a few places that have machines that could be dangerous:

This machine has no brain of it's own, so you may have to use your own!

I'm not sure how I got that side tracked.... oh well.

Dan

have you thought about dolmar ps 6400-7300-7900?

Yes, but with the nearest Dolmar dealer about 90 minutes drive away and Stihl and Husky within 15 minutes of my regular travels, I am not considering the Dolmar dealer.

too bad because dolmar would fit the bill easily! I also think the 5100 would be the ticket for you! However on the husky side for that small of stuff how about a 346xp! Or Jonsered 2153! Maybe a 260pro stihl

Buy the 361 is what I would do. 50cc would be way to close to what you already have. 59cc (361) would be perfect and it would match the other saw you have as far as gas/oil mixture not to mention your dealer. JMO:givebeer:

Definitely go with the better dealer. Gotta keep the good dealers going. Nothing ticks me off when I have money to spend and I am told what do you want that for you don't need it no one around here uses that:chainsaw:

That aside even though I mainly run Jonsereds. I bought a MS360pro in 2002 and it has been a good dependable saw. Other than having to replace the oil cap I have never had a problem with it. I run a 20" bar on it because I do not have to lean over much to cut something on the ground.

Billy

Latest posts

Back