talk me out of a top handle.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the hardware store getting some gloves and they had a MS193T for 339 I picked it up and it had a 16 inch bar on it , felt front heavy much bar for a the saw could probably cut half a pound off just in bar , the CS-271t 12 inch seemed a lot lighter it was 299 at farm and fleet .

The little 271 has been a nice saw.

Two years back I was helping a tree removal company knock down a big elm tree. The climber was up high using a top handle saw to trim off the high branches. He finally got down to where he had to remove some of the trunk that was 40 feet up before they could drop it. He yelled to the boss, "This top handle saw is a toy. Give me a saw with guts that I can use to get the job done."

I said to the boss, "Let him try this one." I gave the boss my Stihl MS 361 with a sharp chain and they hoisted it up on a rope. I was a bit nervous, to say the least, but the next larger saw that they had was an 046 Mag with a 32" bar on board that they were planning to use for the final drop.

He started it, ran it, and yelled back, "Now that is one helluva chain saw! Holy Toledo!"

The climber and the staff took the rest of the tree down with my 361. Nuff said.

Two years back I was helping a tree removal company knock down a big elm tree. The climber was up high using a top handle saw to trim off the high branches. He finally got down to where he had to remove some of the trunk that was 40 feet up before they could drop it. He yelled to the boss, "This top handle saw is a toy. Give me a saw with guts that I can use to get the job done."

I said to the boss, "Let him try this one." I gave the boss my Stihl MS 361 with a sharp chain and they hoisted it up on a rope. I was a bit nervous, to say the least, but the next larger saw that they had was an 046 Mag with a 32" bar on board that they were planning to use for the final drop.

He started it, ran it, and yelled back, "Now that is one helluva chain saw! Holy Toledo!"

The climber and the staff took the rest of the tree down with my 361. Nuff said.
Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 9.27.20 PM.png

A helluva saw, for a helluva story!!! You should have been a fiction writer for Playboy magazine with tales like that.

:laugh:

A helluva saw, for a helluva story!!! You should have been a fiction writer for Playboy magazine with tales like that.

:laugh:
The only thing is, this is a true story. It actually happened. So, make it a nonfiction writer and I would have accepted the job from Hefner if he were still alive.

About three weeks later the boss of that same crew asked me to find him an MS361 or an MS440. I ordered the latter from Lone Wolf on our Tradin' Post and Wolfie shipped it the next day. It's still in service. That's also a true story.

Latest posts

Back