Talked to Husqvarna factory service tech today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just surfin' natural gas is the primary source. It is in short supply also, and it takes twice as much energy to produce the hydrogen as is returned.

windpower? seapower? solarpower? fossile fuels arent the only thing that can be used to produce hydrogen from water...

Can be used to create hydrogen from water, Hydrogen returns 70% of the energy expended to create it.

NO FREE LUNCH!

does it matter when its created with "waste energy", didnt think so...

You and I should chat across a chess board. :hmm3grin2orange:
If power produced is not going to be consumed then it is economically feasible to divert it to hydrogen production. Maybe fantastic way to store excess solar power. There is no excess solar, wind, thermal power produced. All that is produced just reduces the total amount of power required to be produced by other methods.

Last edited:
I think if you research you'll find MOST hydrogen in the US today comes from oil. Cheaper and easier to produce than from water.
Sorry for being misinformed Lou, you're mostly correct, accordingly I offer apologies :) They claim 80% recovery from natural gas, hm, seems like a waste of time and resources to me. Just done ma learning curve for the day, here is an informed read on the subject with the basic formulas and some interesting pics too>
http://www.answers.com/hydrogen production

:cheers: *passes Lou a cold one* :rockn:

I live in a glass house and TRY not to throw stones. My military background and lack of tact make me appear a trifle combative. I am ALWAYS willing to learn something and while you may have to strike me with a LARGE lumber framing member to get my attention, I'll back down once convinced I'm wrong. I'm a teddy bear in reality; just come across as very strong.

Thanks Sprig for frosty beverage. Offers return in kind.

Last edited:
The only way I see of making Hydrogen without adding carbon to the mix is solar or wind. I am NOT an expert by any stretch of the imagination. What I hope is that someone will figure out something totally different in the approach to creating energy. The higher the price of fuel, the more likely that will happen. You have to see the potential for good with the bad in the fuel prices.

Plants already break the water molecule (H²O) but consume the hydrogen and release the oxygen. We need something that does the same but consumes the oxygen. I think the current direction is toward bacteria that release hydrogen as a waste product. We haven't found anything occurring naturally and requires man screw with some of God's creations. We ALL know how successful that has been.

Science lesson over! Back to Vap and the trouble with keeping fuels containing alcohol properly mixed with oil.

One more off the topic tidbit... Wikipedia is a TERRIBLE source for a discussion. College students are failing because they cite this as a source. Anyone including Sprig and I can edit Wikipedia. My credentials don't carry much weight with todays professors!
Still sipping that beverage. Thanks again Sprig.

Last edited:
Brazil's ethanol comes from sugar cane, which is far far far more efficient in producing ethanol than corn. We don't have the resources to grow as much sugar cane as they do, however. Parts of the coastal south are the only places in the US that grow any amounts of it at all as far as I know, and it takes a fairly large environmental toll to grow it even in those areas.

I agree fully with you, though...the current scheme here in the US was designed solely to keep midwestern congressmen in office, and pump subsidies into agribusiness. It is a joke, and it isn't funny.

The other issue with Brazil and ethanol is that they still have fully adjustable carburetors there, no limiter caps like we have.

Ah ha!.... found me some ethanol free fuel... and just a few miles down the road. It seems like the ethanol fuel around here is pushed on citizens by un-caring or otherwise, un-informed politicians based on population centers. The "counties" don't fall into the same population centers as the "cities" do... thus the ethanol free loop hole. If I ever get my expensive, shop loving Husqvarna 359 back, I'm only going to burn ethanol free fuel in her! In the meantime, my trusty Poulan 2100 seems to burn the ethanol added fuel with no problems. On another note, a friend brought me her Troy Built string trimmer over to fix a no start situation. I asked her how old the fuel was and her reply was "about a year old" I just laughed and shook my head.

I'd noticed a Union station that sells "Trick Racing Gasoline" (Auburn, WA), stopped in today and talked with folks who sent me on to the bulk plant. According to the gent that does the mixing they never add ethanol. He recommended 101 (octane) unleaded fuel. the link connects to the "Trick" web site for more information, or 800-444-1449 (M-F, 9-5 PST) will find the nearest dealer.

Last edited:
Making hydrogen, while not being very cost effective, is not the primary problem with hydrogen. I work for a company that makes it as a reagent for other chemical processes at an industrial scale and have spoken with some engineers that have some experience in handling hydrogen. The true problem is safe storage. "Safe storage" is actually 2 problems. Storage is really hard, because hydrogen really doesn't like being condensed. Many strategies are being researched now, and one may emerge that is sucessful. The "safe" part of safe storage is a real challenge because unlike many other compressed gases that get cold when a leak is sprung under pressure, hydrogen doesn't get cold. It get's hot. In fact, in the presence of oxygen, hot enough to self-ignite. Now just ponder that for a minute. Where do you park your car?? If they came available tomorrow, I would not choose to own a hydrogen powered car for many years. Oh, guess what else: the flame is nearly invisible.

I would venture to say that ethanol doesn't harm aluminum because there allot of aluminum in vehicles for it to come into contact with. I would also say that ethanol must be worth while because the place I work for is dumping more money into its ethanol production and they don't blow money on anything unless there is a profit to it. My paycheck is partially funded by ethanol so I am biased. :rock:

I would venture to say that ethanol doesn't harm aluminum because there allot of aluminum in vehicles for it to come into contact with. I would also say that ethanol must be worth while because the place I work for is dumping more money into its ethanol production and they don't blow money on anything unless there is a profit to it. My paycheck is partially funded by ethanol so I am biased. :rock:

Not trying to be argumentative but have you seen the price of milk lately? Up just shy of $1.00 a gallon. Divert more products from the food chain. Suspect beef price rise is next. Make it from something we don't eat or feed to something we then eat! Ethanol is politics as usual!

Ethanol is extremely corrosive to aluminum alloys. Indy Racing League cars that run ethanol are pickled with gasoline at the end of the day

I'd be open to that too, haven't found US source.

That "Trick" is west coast but might be worth giving them a ring. Perhaps something similar in your neck of the woods.

My guess is that it isn't competetive on price in the US, because of your low prices on pump gas (compared to here)........:dizzy:

Try to ask a Husky dealer if they have it in their "system"........

Last edited:
Question????

Ethanol is extremely corrosive to aluminum alloys. Indy Racing League cars that run ethanol are pickled with gasoline at the end of the day

And I'm really not looking for an argument here or trying to belittle that response Zed. If Ethanol is so bad for aluminum, why are all the newer vehicles ethanol ready??? The new chevy pickup blocks are all aluminum and are fully Ethanol ready... On most new vehicles blocks/heads etc... are aluminum... How can they do this if it harms them??? :popcorn: :confused: :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back