tanaka/hitachi CS40ea rebuild.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to see that i know what i'm talking about. Also i work on anything i can,2 stroke and 4 stroke.

I wish we could get some of the saws you guys get overthere.

Rechecked and the earthquake piston a mil smaller so that idea is out.

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can get this thing back running along with my Ryobi, plus test the 56cc and 40cc.

Just sticking with the original with a little clean up. I had a new set of rings.

This project got put away for awhile do to other financial priorities and weather but now I've got time on my days off and a muffler so it will be running in wood by Thursday.

Well maybe you guys can solve this little problem. As stated earilier i put this saw away for a while, it turned freely, lubed well when stored. Took it out today and it was locked solid!! I did get it freed up but its hard to turn over. Recoil, clutch, and flywheel were removed.

I would remove the muffler and take a look inside of the cylinder,
Before trying to turn the engine any more ( other than enough to look in the exhaust port).
Also take look into the spark plug hole.

Could be that:
a cir-clip has popped out.
Ring locating pin lose.
Ring has snagged.

How about the clutch cover, is it rubbing the clutch?
Is there a chain brake that has been triggered?

Could any bar & chain lube or fuel have leaked into the crankcase?
Was there enough assembly lube used that it may have drained into the bottom?

Just my first thoughts of things to check.

All of those items were removed and the engine is seperate from the tanks. I got it freed up.

I acquired a complete not runner off ebay this morning and looking at the pictures it just threw a chain and got returned to the store. I'll have plenty of parts with both to make a runner ane One cylinder will be my first attempt at porting.

The other saw came and is in more or less new condition.

Latest posts

Back