Tank Cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scandy14

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I recently aquired a Stihl 038 that has been sitting with gas in the tank (plastic) for several years, and the rubber part of the fuel filter has dissolved in the bottom of the tank. Can anyone recommend the best way to clean the tank?

Much better to squirt in some acetone (carb cleaner), soak for a hour or two, tip out, scrape away... repeat.. repeat...until clean...

You'll need to replace you tank cap washer after, but is only $1.

I have cleaned tanks(plastic)with oven cleaner.The foaming kind and it worked great! Also,you can try taking a large hemostat and clamp a couple of cotton balls soaked in alcohol and scrub it out

Lakeside53 said:
Much better to squirt in some acetone (carb cleaner), soak for a hour or two, tip out, scrape away... repeat.. repeat...until clean...

Is acetone = carb cleaner?
Thanks-

t_andersen said:
Is acetone = carb cleaner?
Thanks-

Depends on the brand, but the one I use is mostly Acetone with some Ether in the mix. Stihl doesn't want us using it in carbs anymore as it damages the checks valves, so I use it for cleaning out the tanks!

Lakeside53 said:

add a hand full of 1/4" nuts to loosen everything up

Latest posts

Back