Tauntline Hitch Appreciation Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blue,

I am going to take the liberty of reposting some pics of the advanced hitches that TreeSpyder did a good job of putting together. its not step by step but I hope it helps.

Merry Christmas Every One!!!!!

What is the purpose for this thread MB???? If it is for some kind of appreciation type fan club for the old Taut Line hitch, with a nostalgic stroll down memory lane that only brings back memories of jams, constant redressing, couplied with complete retying of the knot in some cases. Not to mention the amount of friction this knot has on the climbing line. It is like a death grip strangle hold compared to a VT.

If this is the purpose for this thread, your just not going to find many supporters on this site for your cause or what ever it is your trying to to get out this thread.

I can understand Guy's position on climbing, no one here can say any thing to sway him, he has made that point obvious many times.

Do us all a big favor, try a Blakes with a pulley, even these two little changes can make a big difference in how much faster and easier life can be when you earn your living with a rope. I didn't think it could get any better after that, but it does.

Uhhhhh, okay.

Anything u say, Axe-man!
twak.gif

I did use the TL to tie a spider leg this year.... I think i went with 3 under 3 over... worked well... Good knot for that use... So for that... I appreciate the TL....

Originally posted by murphy4trees
I did use the TL to tie a spider leg this year.... I think i went with 3 under 3 over... worked well... Good knot for that use... So for that... I appreciate the TL....

Well alllllrighty then!

carry.jpg

Give the TH some love!!! :)

Butch, Like Brian and so many others-when I tried a Tress cord and an advanced hitch the tautline became an occassional use rigging knot. Sure, modified/tied as Brian mentioned, it is a totally reliable knot and if I need to climb "old school" in an emergency I know and trust it, but a few climbs on advanced hitchs will make them familiar and reliable to your sub-conscious and the ease of use will astound you.:cool:

Tauntline Hitch = Crosscut saw
That's about right... other possible analogies might be:
electric typewriter, dial up telephone, whisper chipper, chain driven stump cutters, ignition points, horse and buggy, bias ply tires, two orange juice cans attached by a string, vinyl records, hemp rope, the Edsel, 8 track cassete tapes, and large leaves...

Tom, In the interest of friendly argument. Brian's tautline variant was my knot for years. While "open prussik" does describe it accurately, I searched for a name for many years and could not find that hitch in the literature EXCEPT that the Rolling hitch/Magnus hitch which we generally acknowledge as the tautline (the Tautline being tied on rope and the Rolling on a spar) was depicted in both forms depending upon the book and illustrator. I consider that to be the proper form of the knot and the commonly accepted form to be an inferior variant. (I know that this is slightly ridiculous-"I'm right and the whole world is wrong...." but the commonly accepted form is a creeper even in natural fiber. The "open prussik" form is stable and performs all of the same functions as the reversed form without the drawbacks-I bet that sailors noted that even in the days of hemp)-I found some of the O.P. form illustrations in older literature.

Originally posted by SilverBlue
Hey MasterB, are you going to listen to someone who still uses an AXE? Haven't used one of those farm tools in 20 years since they invented the splitter
There's another analogy that falls flat.
I split wood with a maul--after Isabel, lots of practice--and outpaced a mechanical splitter, with the need to roll em into position, and the chugging along of the machine, not to mention the stench and the noise and the lung-rotting smoke.

Yeah if there's lot of knots the sledge-and-wedge method may be slower, but for most trees the maul wins over the logsplitting machine. It's the greatest exercise in the world for your spine, too; unkinks it and sends that spinal fluid to the brain, Whoosh! Rush! Cheap Kicks for the drug-free types. Might not feel as good to the Marlboro-and-wisky crowd, might be hard on a hangover.

Many guys I see using the logsplitters have bellies like beerbarrels and are poppin ibu for their achin' backs. If that machine's progress, give me the past. One of my namesakes, Guy Fawkes, had the right idea but carried it too far. He's still got a holiday named after him tho.

axman I ain't closed to change, just happy with the old, and no tom not out of honor-- like the Last Samurais where they all died except the white-skinned hero named Tom, sheesh what a stretch that was!--but more out of habit; if it's a bad one it can get broke in time. But it's like double-lanyarding up a tree; it doesn't look as impressive as the bigshot-and-ascender route, but you get to stop and smell the lichens while you inspect the stem.

I'll try the U-turn on the TLH next time; whatever you call it it'll be a change and who knows may lead to others.:eek:

i appreciate the TautLine but don't use it; it looked after me well fo a while. i've started many a man on it; i see it as part of the family of clove hitches; thereby a stepping stone to other things (Distel); whlie always instilling the same pattern of lacing; hopefully reducing error witht he familiarity. Beyond that, my appreciation is mostly historical, or maybe prepping someone to be around folks that have never seen anything but a TL; so that it seems s/he is beyond the TL, and not 1 less trick here, 1 more there; so just an oddball (<-though that works foer me too!). i would only use a non-splittail in pinch/quick dble/temp. crotch; or to teach it, to have ready for someone elses arsenal (perhaps history/mechanichs/appreciation of knots used/emergency) should contingency arise. Beyond that, don't really see much utility for a non-split tail or TL.

i think that a 2down, 1 up clove type lacing makes a rolling hitch, more ususal in adjustable/lockable (even after overnight stretching of materials, adjusted to retighten) hitch for tent stakes. Not that there is anything wrong with adding a ring and making a tautline; but i have always used that division of knots to specific tasks to illustrate a theory that, 1 turn is temporary stay, 2-3 trustable for loads, but 4 +turns(delegated 1 more ring, placing life higher priority than utility loads constantly in form, philosophy and practice!) on something is the positive lock/overkill for trusting lives to, other conditions permitting. As an observation, learning, double checking of all things involved that people present as knots and such!

Brian was making an open prusik, a different knot as Tom said; because of simple mechanichs in the ways the 2 different paths of lacing the line works(no matter how many coils). In all TL, clove, rolling hitch (also called Magnus) etc. all are laced similar, and destined to walk without stopper (or standing on own tail, as in constrictors do as part of clove knot family that have 1 end free, but don't walk option given!).

If you pull the working end of a clove, it tracks against the standing end (pressed against working end as working end is pulled); so Working end tries to pull the standing end tail in the 'out'/free walked off the end direction! Also, it compounds this action by the working end (as it is pulled) pushing the Zbar towards the free end of the standing end, as the working end is still pulling too, like a cons-piracy(ooooops...) formed for the gripping coli troops that perform the work of gripping to walk right off the job. Except if there is a big bad moderator in the way asking if they are gonna "stop'er not?". Also these coils for clove types continue in same direction continuously, rather than self trapping, by reversing 1 turn (at very start of upper 'story' of 'sandwhich' stack) the 'girth'/prusik family employs. Giving Prusiks a locking half hitch that changes direction, that cloves don't have.

The 'girth'/larks, prusik etc. have a twist, so as the working end is pulled, it tracks against the standing end as before, but the turns are reversed, so the 'tractoring'/grabbing action will tend to draw the standing end tighter, not looser. Also, the now straight bar (as opposed to clove family Z bar signature), is pushed further down away from free end of the standing end. Then the prusiks, cross that top turn

So as the pull on the working end walks 'clove' type lacings to freedom off the end of the line 2 ways, a girth, prusik type lacing tightens 2 ways by the same pull; though i think a 'girth'/lark's needs a stopper, as well as any open LifeLine Link.

Might i suggest a Distel in 1/2" to disbeleivers in the loading of friction hitch from both ends or one, as the most familiar form to the TL? Using friction rope devices in that basket position rather than the choke position work easier for up and down IMLHO.

Orrrr something like that!
:alien:

Splitting wood by hand is OK by me.... though I hope its for home use....
I raced a lickety spliter and won many years ago... I was splitting red oak and he was splitting beech... That was fun.. I saw a guy outsplit two men and a splitter on TV and used his style... He would often split a piece where it lay, not even touching it with his hands... he also lifted a leg on the upswing to keep his back straight... Swinging a mall is good for conditioning... I haven't done it in years... Hope to get back to it someday

Back