Tauntline Hitch Appreciation Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by netree
The Blake's doesn't tend to roll out of lock down as much, but if you don't get it exactly right, you're in for a surprise.
A surprise? I like surprises under the tree this time of year, I don't like surprises while in the top of a tree.
Mike's stepbystep present almost pulled me out of the Mesozoic, but Erik's pushed me back. Just what kind of surprise are you talking about, man?

I use a blakes hitch with a spilt tale probably 60% of the time i like it because i can adjust the lenght depending on what i am doing i.e keep it long for those nice long drags up the tree and short when i'm chogging down a cypress, other than that i use my lockjack for those nice long branch walks, no matter what you use its all about preference if it works for you and fits your style its all good. happy climbing people and stay all frictioned up when swinging about

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
If it's not tied right, it isn't a Blake's, it's called a Pilot-Error-Hitch or Sui-slide.
OK, that sinks it; unless I want to take the time to do 38 repetitions for my aging brain to learn the Blake's correctly, sounds like it's TLH until I'm grounded by late senescence.

Then again, TD, a year ago you took one look at my buttstrap saddle and pronounced it a "suicide saddle". I call legstrap saddles Nutcrackers, and not just because I'm in a holiday mood.
With a tlh if it ain't right it don't slide. With a Blake's it slides willynillY and puts you on the ground?

I'll just wait until it freezes here and I have the time to play with it. Like that'll happen any time soon!
O and TD why not send up doofus RK to the feeding frenzy? It'd be fun to watch, with a raincoat on. ps my inbox is open.

The Blakes is no more likely to slip than any other hitch. Start out low and slow. If you are an experienced climber, by the time you tie, dress and set it three times, move up and down a little, you will be a pro, no worries.

I may have put my photos in the wrong order, adding a fair lead should be first. This takes no skill to add and shows you the benefits of one handed operation.
Make changes to your climbing system one at a time and use them for a week or two before you move on.
The split tail is also easy, you'll need a seperate piece of rope though, preferably spliced.
Both these steps will improve your climbing without much change.
You will see why it's nice to tie hitches that don't lock down, like the Blakes or the VT.

That was my progession anyway, once I added the fair lead, it was clear the tautline locked too hard. The Blakes was great, then I saw the VT and a light went on.

With all due respect to Mike's "change one thing at a time" progression I don't really see the point in that. Why prolong the learning curve with an ongoing feeling of discomfort with something new? It is just a cord, a hitch, a 'biner and a pulley to go all the way. I was climbing on an 'open prussik' Tautline. I read about the other methods on here (I'd seen them in print before but was disinclined to change). The recrotching benefits clicked for me. Easier slack tending sounded good but wasn't a primary motivator. I could see that this had a real potential to improve my climbing. I read about the various stages then made a tress cord, bought a new'biner and micro pulley. I tied a Swabisch a few times one evening and then started climbing on it. After about 3 climbs on the Swabisch I tried the V.T. and the Distel. Guy is an intelligent person. He has read all about this stuff. If he is willing to try the something new I think he can go all the way in one step. Just give it a few days for a fair trial. I know that I'm not going back!:angel:

This just in, well not really.Anyone try the "icicle hitch"
Icicle-Hitch2.jpg

The rumor that I've heard over the years is that the Sui-slide will grab after a two foot slip.
Tom

Like hell it will! Trust me on this one.:angel:

I really don't understand this mental block thing when it comes to tying a new style friction hitch. Any one who has tied the TL for years should have a grasp for how it functions, and secures you on the climbing line. The same basic principles of the TL apply to the newer hitches. If you can't see how the newer knots are going to function on the rope, then some type of red flag should go up and say to you " Hey this isn't going to work" " I must be something wrong". I just don't see where the problem could be when it comes to tying some of these hitches.

If someone is still not sure or uneasy about some thing new, then the old adage of practice low comes into play. A few footlocks or a couple of body thrust pulls should be enough to find out if a new hitch is going to work and function the way it should.

I think Guy's yanking our chains here on the site. I'd bet he is down there in NC, shooting his Big Shot, hoofing his way to the top by footlocking and VTing his way around the top of those trees. He probaly even has a Lock Jack hidden in his gear bag that he isn't telling us about. :D :D

Guy and MB and any of youse guys still using a TLH.

As many here have said, all hitches work, some better than others, some finicky, some easier to tie. My advise would be to go straight to a distel or Schwabisch, as they work much better than a Blakes, are easier to tie, and can't be tied wrong. Personally I use a Vt, which, to its users is the King of friction hitches. But it is more senstive to length and being tied and used correctly.

When I double crotch, I toss on a TLH as it is so quick to tie. That is, if I don't have a second split tail on my belt or just want to be quick.

Above all, always use a pulley as a slack tender, as it's benefts are many.

Here's a shot of the last of a pine that took two climbers and 2.5 groundies 2 days to remove, 2.5 truckloads of chiips, more pics eventually if I ever quit skiing.

Erik,

So...why not take a microsecond more time and share what, it seems, you know about slippage? Are you teasing? It was important enough for you to post, why isn't it important to share a story.

No apologies for any attitude. Too often these threads get ground up with idle chatter. How about adding some oomph here.

I've never had personal or even heard second hand about the slippage. All I've ever heard was rumor.

It constantly amazes me how close people hold information. A good teacher told me that there is only one thing in this world that a person can give away and still have. That's knowledge.

Tom

Quite simple. If it's not tied right, it won't grab when you load it. Oh sure, you'll yank on it when you set & dress and think it's okay, but it will sui-slide easily.

When I first started using it (eons ago, now), sometimes I'd get the crossover on the wrong side... and I'd get about 10 or twenty feet up footlocking, and then I'd start putting all my weight on, and (somewhat) slowly slide back to terra firma. Not fast enough to get hurt mind you, but faster than you can say WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!?!

So, as I said, if it's not tied exactly right, it won't grab. I thought it was a pretty simple enough statement- one that needed no explanation, but alas, I have been requested to overcomplicate it.

Originally posted by Stumper
With all due respect to Mike's "change one thing at a time" progression I don't really see the point in that.:angel:

Due respect to MIke?????:eek:

Yeah, jest a Blake's J, but this place stands as a place of record i think more and more; Mike has done us a service; there should be more of other knots IMLHO. How many places available to all exist, can one find all of the solid things that can be offered here. People from other discliplines and interests should have a place to marvel at these innovations as well IMLHO.

i think that Blake's is a worthy step if it is only crossover stone with the equipment and familiarity had. It also has value as a better 'quicky' open tailed secondary adjustment etc. It has a French Coil Base look/operation (different than action of double clove/TL in my mind); even though just pulling from one leg. Also, very simple security like an anchor/barrel; only running 4 coils instead of 2 before tucking under 2!

Though, if ya can crossover higher -on an eye to eye tail; i'd go with Distel like RB said, can be tied in 1/2", in almost a TL form, only grab both ends of the line to saddle. i'd try Distel or Blakes on a 1/2" 3 strand tail if you can eye splice and have the proper line. If y'all want to try stepping slowly, and not juming into a new knot to trust your life to, with ends you tied differently than before, in line you never trusted like that before, that kinda looks funny and small, with a new toy underneath etc. all at once. In fact it makes sense to me if ya feel like you are in more of a comfort range, paying attention to one change at a time as to make single and not group errors to self correct etc.!

The ice out here is great and rock solid, but i seen guys rush before at the wrong angle; ain't noone in this camp got anything to prove; we all stand facing the odds eye to eye all the time!

If you find your place with these 'other knots' (some take 'tuning' of and to); i think ya can see; you prolly (Sanborniski Spoken Here!) won't look back to Blake's/TL; like those here that have tried it before ya!

Orrrrrrrrrr something like that!
:alien:

Getting back to the start of this thread. I used the TH for the first two weeks I climbed. I then modified it to an open prussic (it just made more sense). When I teach people I have them start with a distel. They use the 30" tennex prussic lines from sherrill. The distel is easy to tie and use for beginners. I personally like the VT and the distel. A TH is good for securing stuff to the trailer and for tent stakes.

MB,
"Cross over children, all are welcome, go into the light" (Short lady in poltergeist).

The distel and a micro pulley are your friend.

Naw. Mb, that looks like a Magnablakedisteswabbyuntautvaldomessyard tresse knut not knot to me. It looks like it would hold and only slip a couple inches...dont know abooot pelvic thrustin' on her tho.:blob2: :blob2: :laugh:

Qhat I like about the blakes from what I think has been tested is if you fall on the knot it doesnt scench up but rather stops and releases a couple time before seezing up, whereas the taughtline will just seeze up.But then again I might be wrong.
edit
I do remeber a teenage climber back in 95 fell. Somehow, his rope had flipped on the last bit of stubb he was working. Flipped and he fell about 30 feet before the rope caught on a 2 inch by 2 inch long stubb. seenching him and his knot down tight. frantically hugging the tree and yellin "did you see that ????!" at the top of his lungs. I didnt work that day so I dont rember if it was a TL or a blakes that had to be cut out of his rope.

HAHA master blaster well thank ya for doing that for me. Id always wondered scence I'd heard his story. Ive thought of rigging a big log up like a climber and throwing it from way up just to see what would happen. Great to know master blaster...hehe

Originally posted by treehugger01
Ive thought of rigging a big log up like a climber and throwing it from way up just to see what would happen.

Do that. If you've properly set n dressed your hitch I bet the log don't go anywhere.

But the actual logistics of doing that could turn into a real PITA.

Ya think? :)

Latest posts

Back