TCI Expo 2010

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really liked the tree they had set up on the floor and there was alot of cool gear to look at gllad i dont have a credit card

Yes, the tree was remarkable. This was the biggest tree I have ever seen at an Expo. Look at this baby..... OAK, OMG, the tree was bigger than it looks in the picture, but this shot gives a pretty good perspective.

This is Kevin Bingham giving a live SRT demo on Saturday morning of the newly developed Singing Rope Wrench, its first public appearance.

attachment.php

One more image on this debut performance. I hope I put the pictures together so that you can see them good.

attachment.php

Last edited:
One more image on this debut performance. I hope I put the pictures together so that you can see them good.

attachment.php

I missed that, thanks for posting. Does he have any videos of use in action?

I would of liked to meet more of you but I kept pretty busy gathering ceu(s).

I did get to meet Blakes and Reg though.

Overall I had a great time.

I also was alittle surprised they closed down so early on a Saturday . Didn't really matter to me but still seemed strange . I was lovn the prices for the arborwear . I bought a coat n a pair of pants. And a hat too just for good measure!! I took some pictures from the walk way, one shows the tree pretty good. I shoulda took 4 pictures that woulda showed the entire show but I just tookem with my phone not given it much thought.

Notice the dude climbn just to the right of the tree in photo 1. Just noticed that..kinda cool.

unfortunely I had to leave just as they started the srt demo on sat. but was there thur. and fri. and went to alot of good seminars and classes. I really liked dwayne neustaeter from arboriculture canada and todd kramer I learned alot.

I missed that, thanks for posting. Does he have any videos of use in action?

I would of liked to meet more of you but I kept pretty busy gathering ceu(s).

I did get to meet Blakes and Reg though.

Overall I had a great time.

You find a good place to eat there, Mike? Lol. Eric and I were averaging about 5 meals a day there was so much tasty food in the downtown area. The show was good. I agree with the above poster about Todd Kramer. Excellent speaker with some good info on rigging and crane work. We will be getting a GRCS after his talks. Not sure when, but it WILL happen. Spent a lot of time wandering around the expo floor and had decidedly seen everything so we boogied out of town after Saturday's classes. All in all I enjoyed myself but doubt I'll be attending another one unless I decide to get my cert and need CEU's. The info was good, but not a lot I didn't already know.

Pinnacle and Ace, thank you for the pictures. You both did great!

Let me introduce these images for anyone who didn't make it this year, the convention and expo were held at the Pittsburgh Convention Center, right at the edge of the Ohio River. There was an upper-level, glass-walled hamster-tube walkway that went right through and over top of the Expo hall floor. That's how we got these 'looking down on' shots.

It's the first convention center I've see whose roof incorporates skylights designed to let in natural light. The roof, where there are no skylights, is covered in photovoltaic panels that actively generate electricity that by equivalence, could power 1,800 homes. They have expansive areas on the second level where you can step outside and instead of concrete, you can walk around on well-maintained LAWN. Yes, they had lawn on the outdoor walking areas and the rain runoff from the roof is collected and percolated through these grass beds before being released to groundwater runoff. There were clearly marked recycling bins throughout both the convention center and the adjacent Westin Hotel. Personally, I found this notable and it enhanced my overall experience that big corporate entities like a hotel/convention center can be responsible leaders in the green revolution. Very appropriate for a green industry such as ours.

I'm gonna try something. I'm going to take Pinnacle's two and Ace's three images, make them all 10" wide to fill the page on your computer screen, then place them one after another, all five of them.

Scroll down slowly. You'll see Stihl, and Husqvarna, Redmax, Echo, Jonsered, Toro. The Japanese came in to represent Silky. You'll see cranes, crane trucks, arborist trucks and an explosion of mini-lifts; 90 footers, 120 footers, all there under one roof. We had all the chipper manufacturers, each displaying their lineup of chippers and stump grinders. Altec, Conehead, Morbark, Vermeer, Bandit. I ate lunch with the president of Bandit Industries, not every day you get to do that. I was honored to have bought dinner for the Michigan State Women's Tree Climbing Champion.

All our catalog suppliers were there; Bailey's, with Jerry Beranek there in person, Sherrill, with Tobe out there mixing it up with all the Arborists. Karl Keummerling, Cutter's Choice, American Arborist Supply, and there were more. Then we had the rope manufacturers; Sampson, New England, All-Gear, all there, in person to talk to and discuss the stuff they make, that we hang our lives on.

And our hardware suppliers. Greg Good, developer of the GRCS was there, Petzl had a huge booth, ISC was there, Klein, Jameson, Buckingham; dudes, I could go on and on. The TCIA website has a complete listing of all the vendors who were there for one reason; to cater to our market.

This is what TCIA is: They are a business with the role of providing OUR TREE CARE INDUSTRY the leadership and resources we need to be a professional, legitimate and respected industry. At the TCIA Expo, they pull together our profession with our industry suppliers and heavy emphasis on education so we can spend a few golden days to facilitate becoming the best Arborists we can possibly be. If that's not good support and leadership, I don't know what is.

The weather was great. Pittsburgh was an excellent city to host our annual convention.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Why did they have trucks on the floor that were already painted up in company colors? We're these 2011 models? When I went to the Expo in CT a few years back, none of the rigs were lettered.

Guys buy them in advance, have them displayed at the show, and then drive them home. Day one, I saw a mini-lift with a SOLD tag on it. I asked, "Did you make a sale here already?" then got the scoop that this one was a pre-order.

This can work great if the show is close to your home.

Very Good advice TM----I don't think I would want to put that timberwolf log splitter in my overhead bin on the airplane. I would rather have them just send it to me. They were looking pretty nice!!!

Latest posts

Back