TCIA magazine free subsciption

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The following link is to a free subsciption to Tree Care Industry magazine... I have written one of the two feature articles for the July 04 issue, and would like to get your feedback. So if you don;t have a subscription, please order one. You can also check out their articles on line.
There has been a lot of trashing that magazine on this forum, and for good reason in my opinion. So at Guy's suggestion, I wrote something that hopefully has real value to practicing arborists. It was a long process and very time consuming and expensive...
One of the reasons the magazine has historoically had such poor content is that they don't pay much.. It's hardly worth the time for a skilled arborist to turn author.
I AM hoping that the folks at TCI will appreciate what some quality material will do to improve their readership and consequently their advertising revenue. So please let them know what you think of the article. I'll see about posting a link to their email to the editor later.
And much thanks to you folks at AS who have been such a great support in sharing your knowledge and experience so freely. And thanks to AS itself for providing the forum.

http://www.treecareindustry.org/content/pubs/ordertci.htm

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Hey, TCI is way better than AA.
Beats NA and OA by a longshot too I'm sure.:p

"I AM hoping that the folks at TCI will appreciate what some quality material will do to improve their readership and consequently their advertising revenue."

Good Golly, Daniel, you're gonna sprain your shoulder by patting yourself on the back so much! :eek: If their ad rates double due to your masterpiece, a lot of mfrs. will be hunting you down.:angry:

But seriously, though notching is way outside my radar scope I'm glad you made the effort. Like I tell kids who are taking Algebra, it's not the content of what you're doing now, but the brain exercise that will reap you the greatest rewards.;)

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Hey, TCI is way better than AA.

:(

Right on MB,

It used to be the other way around. I used to wait impatiently every month for AA. Especially when Sherrill was behind Ron Danise to write right those articles on advanced rigging that started a rigging craze that really hasn't ended. ( Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one. ) Those were the good times.

Now I hardly ever read it, unless an article catches my eye, other wise it goes into the recycling bin real quick.

Does anyone do what I do when it comes to articles that are worth while to save. I tear them out and staple together and put in files, for later reference if for some reason I need them.

TCIA is a much better pub these days. I'll be looking forward to Murph's Article if it like his posts it will be informative.

Larry

I want you all to be the judge on this article...

That's the point Guy...
The folks at TCI know a lot more about publishing than they do about chainsaws and tree climbing... They are professional publishers... We are professional arborists.... So how are they gonna know what is really good and of value to us if we don't tell them...

I mentioned AS to the managing editor today aand he said something like " oh is that the one that is always trashing us?"
And then went on to say that TCIA needs a forum like this...
So he needs to know why we are always trashing him. They need education just like all of us.

Last edited:
Your right Dan, I forgot about his company. Sherrill was involved in this some how weren't they. I might have my wires crossed on this one.

I have no idea what happened to Ron, after his articles it was just like he disappeared.

Larry

I don't know this for sure but I don't think there was a link between Sherrill and RD. Ron built up a distributing company too. That would have been head to head competition with Sherrill. I've never asked either if there was a connection, maybe Sean will set us straight.

When TCIA was in Charlotte I saw Ron through the crowd. I was distracted for a split second and he disappeared. The buzz was that he was still doing tree work in the Charlotte area.

Tom

It has bee a long time since Ron's articles were in Arbor Age. I think that we were sponoring that section of the magazine, which happened to have Ron's articles. I don't think he was writing them for us.

Currently, Ron is running his own tree service which I believe does only Micro-Injections, or at least mostly. In addition to that, Ron is also a distributor for Tree-Tech micro-injections.

There you have it.

Originally posted by Ax-man

articles that are worth while to save. for later reference if for some reason I need them.
Lots of reasons to use them. There was an article on Armillaria in TCI a few months ago I made 20 copies of. They go to clients to explain what I think should be done (as opposed to the standard tree service's recommendations: do nothing, or cut it down:alien:.

That Armillaria article was a great example of what's good about TCI magazine. A guy in the field figuring out what works and relating his experience in print. Increasingly, Arborist News also will accept writing from non-academics. Though their reviewers are a bit more traditional and skeptical of going outside the box, AN is also open to new practices.:cool:

The same kind of openness shows in the ISA conference lineup--Murph is one of many, over half, of the presenters that work in the field. It wasn't like that before.

Back