Teaching: Anyone elses thoughts or experiences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got me a gimpy leg right now myself. Seems I tweaked a knee in Corvallis last week. It's getting better but it's still stiff and painful. I probably look funny walking with a big ol' babylegs limp. Ah, well, I'll survive.

Bloody jeans

When I was 15 years old my community was hit by hurricane Katrina. My church's pastor was from Arkansas and had some of his old freinds come down. The community I'm in has alot of dentists and doctors, not exactly people you want to see toting a saw around when the hospital is already full of hurt people. Most of the loggers around me were already doing all they could to just clear the roads and get people out of their houses, I had only run my dads 028 sthil thus far and was very green, I can still remember having to borrow my dads knee high lineman boots because I didn't own any work boots. First day we were cutting fallen trees and leaning trees at a old woman's house. After a few from our group pinched a few saws and almost got killed by Barbour chairs the old guys from Arkansas stepped in. The one who sticks out most in my mind was a 65 year old man with a sthil 460 with a 28 inch bar, I was the youngest of the group and he pulled me aside and handed me a brand new 372 husky. All the other teens were dragging brush while I was learning how tell when trees were in binds and were the tension points were.....after week that man had me confident and educated. All I ever said was yes sir and no sir. I found myself drafted into running saws and learned from many men, I have alot of respect for the old timers! Without them I probably would still be playing video games and weigh a ton :bowdown:

All the sudden I was offered a path which will lead to qualified teacher/instructor career. I hate the idea right now, but after 10-15 years I'll probably think different.

I hope my impatience will wear off by the years as well.

funnin around is all well and good (until someone takes it seriously then its either really fun or just sucks...) I've been lied to more times than I can count, usually by people that thought they where the boss and wanted to tell the "new guy" what to do, as a side note I ended up being their lead in a few short months...

Most of the things I've been told that where wrong could be chalked up to plain ignorance, Much of it was so I would do something wrong and possibly get fired or reprimanded...

And last but not least, if I am not talking to you or acknowledging your presence, your better off just staying the Hel away. Chances are I don't like you or you have thrown me under the bus for something you did... I find avoidance to be better then confrontation

Loggers have more respect for each other, a screw up in the woods could get someone killed.

The machine shops I work mon-thursday... we get all kinds through there... they hear its good money, indoors, all you have to do is keep a machine fed, and presto they know everything... Gods forbid if you threaten their comfy job with actual factual knowledge...

Part of the reason I kill trees and make big messes on the weakend is I don't have to deal with morons, well most of the time, I'm still there:msp_confused:

Loggers have more respect for each other, a screw up in the woods could get someone killed.

And foresters, and firefighters, and sailors, and really any professional in any business that means business. Which is why semi-mean humor is so important -- it separates the wannabes from the Good Ones. Those who can't take it leave (or whine to the boss and make everybody suffer for their thin skin), and those who can just dish it back. This is really what I meant in my last post.

And foresters, and firefighters, and sailors, and really any professional in any business that means business. Which is why semi-mean humor is so important -- it separates the wannabes from the Good Ones. Those who can't take it leave (or whine to the boss and make everybody suffer for their thin skin), and those who can just dish it back. This is really what I meant in my last post.

wiener

I kinda feel bad about it but I've made coworkers break down and cry a few times... usually the young naive ones... That didn't get that I was ***king with em.

I've learned to wink, and grin... Its when I say things in a very serious manner that people take me entirely to seriously...

Such as all them Gods ####ed logs you bucked yesterday are too short for grade, the mill wanted 13" of trim and you only left 12 1/2... then storm off and snicker.... only to swing back buy in 1/2 an hour to find em blubbering and puffy eyed, kinda ruins the whole joke...

Back