Technical questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SawTroll said:
Seems like Simonizer withdrew from AS yesterday...
Take a look at the "thoughts on the 372xp" tread going on;
I don't think he got a very friendly welcome.

.......hope he will be back, as I think he has a lot to contribute, and his mind seemed set on doing just that, but what do I know?

Ditto that. I liked his input, seemed very professional to me.
But I agree also that AS has some rules, especially when sponsors' interests have to be taken care off.
Simonizer should understand that. If he wants to personally help someone out, he can do that by personal mail, I guess.

Come on Simonizer, show us you can live with that.

Rules should be followed, but then, a newbie shouldn't be body slammed the first couple of times he wanders across the line. It's not like he was brazenly promoting his own commercial interests. He made a couple of helpful offers, and he got a public reaming. Not right.

BlueRidgeMark said:
It's not like he was brazenly promoting his own commercial interests.

This sounds pretty brazen to me:
"If you need to contact me, call (999) 999-9999. This is my work number and we are one of the biggest Stihl/ Husqvarna dealers in Canada. Ask for Simon. Cheers."

He made a couple of helpful offers, and he got a public reaming. Not right.

Agree it could have been handled a bit more tactfully.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Rules should be followed, but then, a newbie shouldn't be body slammed the first couple of times he wanders across the line. It's not like he was brazenly promoting his own commercial interests. He made a couple of helpful offers, and he got a public reaming. Not right.
Agreed; we all makes mistakes from time to time!

He seemed pretty sharp, in some ways. It might have been better if he kept all his schooling to him self unless asked by some that was in dought of one of his answer's , then explain how he knew. Thats called people smart and thats not taught in school. To some his entrance probly sounded like braging and to some not. I try not to walk into a room and tell everone what I know, with a lot of people that leaves a bad taste in there mouth. It seemed like also his impression was he was the only tech here. Im not saying that he felt that way but it could be read that way and was by more then one person. First impressions mean a lot. Does anyone think any other techs here felt like they had there toes stepped on by simomnizers introduction of him self? Again my impression of that was he felt like he was the only tech here. May be I read him wrong. Could he be of value here? yes but in the same breath he is not the only sharp pencil around.

Right on.

eric_271 said:
He seemed pretty sharp, in some ways. It might have been better if he kept all his schooling to him self unless asked by some that was in dought of one of his answer's , then explain how he knew. Thats called people smart and thats not taught in school. To some his entrance probly sounded like braging and to some not. I try not to walk into a room and tell everone what I know, with a lot of people that leaves a bad taste in there mouth. It seemed like also his impression was he was the only tech here. Im not saying that he felt that way but it could be read that way and was by more then one person. First impressions mean a lot. Does anyone think any other techs here felt like they had there toes stepped on by simomnizers introduction of him self? Again my impression of that was he felt like he was the only tech here. May be I read him wrong. Could he be of value here? yes but in the same breath he is not the only sharp pencil around.

He seemed sharp enough but coming out of the gate it was a bit boisterous.

Flash in the pan?

eric_271 said:

I am a professional salesman, and I have learned to judge people by listening to WHAT they say, and less HOW they say it. He deserved some credit, I think.

belgian said:
I am a professional salesman, and I have learned to judge people by listening to WHAT they say, and less HOW they say it. He deserved some credit, I think.

A salesman huh? Wow. I did give him some credit but apparently you only read the parts of that post you wanted to.

no matter how Simonizer started off. fact remains he apears to be legit and had a lot to offer.

just as or more important he was willing to give his time to share. when he didn't know the weight diff between two bars, he made an offer to go weight em. well lots of us can do the same, but he was willing to give a few minutes to it?

Yes there are other sawtechs here, but we can always use another resource. I learned that it's best to use multi-ball hones to champher your ports from one of his few posts.

so what he uses terms like arctan to describe co-effecient of two surfaces interacting. I would explain it differently. but so what if that's how he choses to explain details.

small wonder simonizer left after everyone ganged up on him... not good!

Sorry Mange. Im not trying to run him off. All I did was post some positives and negitives. Im not with out mine thats for sure. His phone number is in one of these post and you can e-mail him also. If hes a sport he will be back anyway.

eric_271 said:
A salesman huh? Wow. QUOTE]

Yep, and an electro-mechanical engineer too. Problem ?

His introduction :
Please feel free to ask me about any weird problems you may be having. I will do my best to solve them for you. I have 16 years experience as a factory trained Stihl and Husqvarna mechanic and also have a degree in Mechanical engineering (1991-1996). This is a free service. Cheers, Simon

You call this a smart or sharp introduction ? a Mr Wiseguy?
Where did he offend you?

My impression of the man whas that he was very polite and willing to share his 16 years experience with us for free of charge. And his comments were to the point, so what's the problem ?

Afraid of somebody maybe knowing more than you ? It 's a terrible thing to live in fear, my friend.

And for my ignorance : in what part of your post where you giving him credit ?

No hard feelings.

belgian we have a saying here, there are college educated then there are college educated idiots. You have removed all dought from my mind what group you came from. ;)

well I happen to agree with belgian's post! all I see is a different style of writing.

just because someone writes in technical terms, should that make him a taget? and besides the title of this posts plainly states "Technical questions"

you may not care for engineers, but someone had to design the light weight/high powered equipment we all share

Max said:
046 "should that make him a taget?"

What's a "taget"? Is that engineer lingo? :rolleyes:

yes, it is. thanks for bringing that up.

BTW : eric 271 wrote "You have removed all dought from my mind"

He starts talking like an engineer too. :laugh:

belgian said:
yes, it is. thanks for bringing that up.

BTW : eric 271 wrote "You have removed all dought from my mind"

He starts talking like an engineer too. :laugh:

Is it really? I was just busting em' off! Oh well. :laugh:

046 said:
small wonder simonizer left after everyone ganged up on him... not good!
Who ganged up on Simon? Was it trimmed in this post?
trimmed said:
Hey Simon, are you a sponsor? If not please keep your sales pitches to yourself or anti-up and support the site you're selling at.

This is the second incident. Consider this your first warning. Read up on the three strike rule, eh?
Was trimmed wrong as a moderator to say anything to someone who has stepped outside the rules? Is trimmed wrong as a moderator to protect the business interests of the sponsors who pay which allow us to play for free?
....or was I the guy who ganged up on Simon by posting this?
jokers said:
Lobo,

Don`t be too harsh with trimmed on this issue. He is a very levelheaded moderator in my opinion, just giving the sponsors some of the service they are paying for here.

I like Simon and would like to see him stay, but he is in the same boat as any of the rest of us here, no mention of related business without paying the sponsorship fee, unless Darin approves it. This is no different than preventing one of your competitors from putting a sign with their business name in your OPE shop, is it?

Russ
Was Simon`s response to trimmed`s first open statement regarding his actions appropriate?
simonizer said:
No I am not a sponsor, I offered someone a personal deal. If you want to be a **** then ban me,.....
and maybe just a wee bit melodramatic
simonizer said:
Actually, I feel insulted. Goodbye ArboristSite. Simon.
Don`t forget that this warning to Simon in the 372 thread was the second time trimmed had to speak to Simon about the same issue, but as trimmed stated, would be considered the first strike. It looks to me like trimmed gave Simon a freebie.

I do not know Simon personally but have been aware of his existence and ability for a long time before he came here. I do consider him credible to the extent that I "know" him. I think that we can reasonably consider Simon a valuable resource, but I don`t think that the uproar is simply about his departure. I think that it`s more related to this statement,
simonizer said:
I offered someone a personal deal
and people`s desire for a deal. If I am not 100% correct in this assumption please explain why this statement from Stihltech relative to Simons arrival and actions did not elicit any public outcry?
Stihltech said:
see ya

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see my services are no longer neede here. Been fun
Stihltech has irrefutably offered volumes of technically correct and insightful information to anyone in need, regardless of saw brand, without ever talking down or giving attitude to anyone with the possible exception of me(which I sought and deserved, I might add :p ).

Why aren`t you guys who are lamenting Simon`s departure also lamenting Stihltech`s apparent departure as well? Because you are operating on personal emotion based on your feelings of a lost potential deal. Is that any different than the way that you would expect a paying sponsor to feel with the exception that in his case he might see the scenario as a revenue dollar lost vs you guys who are worried about paying someone else more. The bottom line is the same with one more exception, The sponsors have already made a cash outlay vs those of you hoping to minimize your`s when you do make one.

I`d like to see where anyone got body slammed or reamed as this statement alledges.
BlueRidgeMark said:

Check out this threadSimonized vs Walkerized and tell me again that this statement is true.
BlueRidgeMark said:
It's not like he was brazenly promoting his own commercial interests.
OK boys, put on some bigger panties(`cause some of your`s are obviously too tight) and tell me where I`m wrong.

Russ

His first post

Simonizer said:
Hi, I just pm'ed John Walker, he has been away for awhile it seems. He is a great guy as is his brother and mechanic Don. I invite any of you to compare my saws to theirs in friendly competition. With a degree in mechanical engineering, and 15 years as a journeyman saw mechanic I have devoted the last 12 months to producing machines that will bury all that you are accustomed to in the past. This includes Ken Dunn, whom I might add has the most impressive saws next to mine. I have focused on a select few models, they are as follows: Husq 372XP, 385XP, 395XP. Stihl MS460, MS660. My modifications include adjustments to deck-height to give an optimum "Squish-band" dimension. This promotes better turbulence at TDC as well as an increased corrected compression ratio. Port-time area is then optimized for both intake and exhaust ports. Transfer ports are classified as of now. I don't target RPM increases but rather focus on torque increases which hinges on volumetric efficiency at a given RPM. I have a 32% increase in torque @ 11300RPM in the 385 right now. Also, every saw I produce is identical to the last as I machine and port my cylinders to +/- .002". In some saws there are piston modifications as well, this is also classified at this time.

I will take the liberty of anticipating your questions as to reliability before you ask them. As of 13AUG05 I only have about 105 385's in the field right now. There have been zero failures and I have had repeat buyers for approximately 40 of those sales. You can dog in a 37" bar with 404 chain and not stop my 385 XP's. In closing I will answer the same question I get every week, " Why can't Husqvarna engineers do what you can Simon?", my honest answer is "They can". Unfortunately they have stringent emissions laws that they must adhere to. It is akin to buying a new Lexus and deciding to super-charge and nitrous it afterwards, their hands are tied. Mine aren't. Feel free to contact me at (999) 999-9999. Regards, Simon.

So Blueridgemark, this should have been his first warning according to the rules, which would mean the second instance, he should have been banned according to the rules, so he was cut some slack, not according to the rules. Don't make me out the hardazz. He's the best, the biggest, the fastest and has the most experience, according to him. So the problem must lie in his manners, or his ability to read the forum, maybe even a common sense issue. We have people that sell saws and we have guys that mod saws, and some do both. They are clearly listed as sponsors. Their sponsorship helps keep this playground going , they have ante'd up first, and find out if it was worth it later. Simon is free to step up to the plate, it should not be a big deal finacially for a man of his credentials, as he lists them.

You read his words and come to your own conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back