Technology

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It seems as though chainsaw manufacturers are continually working on making saws more fuel efficient and have less emissions.

Something I have wondered about for awhile is chain technology. Other than low vibration and anti-kickback chains, has there been any research in the industry for making faster cutting chains? Are they basically taking the stance of "If it's not broke, don't fix it?" I assume that their isn't enough money in researching faster or more durable chains to make it worth it.

What do you guys think?

Rob

You can hand file a chain so that it cuts better than new, but if you hit a rock then it takes longer to sharpen than a stock chain and you have also greatly diminished the life of that chain. A really good hand touchup on a brand new chain does cut better, and I guess they could make a chain with the angles like that but it would'nt be better because it would only cut a little faster and be gone way sooner. I know that "homeowner", low kickback chain sucks bigtime for production at the other end of the scale. I think that if someone developed a kickass, magic chain they would market it. I use Oregon 73lg chain, on my Huskys.

When the chain has to perform decently from full new til end of life there have to be compromises. The same chain on a 50 cc saw or on a 100 cc. is going to be overstrength for the smaller. A safety margin has to be there. Sharpening must be as simple as possible also. Product liability is probably more of a concern to the maker than performance is. If you are interested in better performance I think that has to come on your own rather than from the makers.

Crofter said:
The same chain on a 50 cc saw or on a 100 cc. is going to be overstrength for the smaller.

We already see that this has warranted enough of a problem to see different types of chain. You have .325 for the smaller saws or 3/8" lowpro, with 3/8" and .404" for larger saws. Not to mention full comp, semi-skip, full skip, and round vs. square ground. There is industry awareness for the need of different types of chain.

Do you think they are still researching this? I was just trying to see if there were any ideas out there, not just the standard you are on your own answer.

Back