Tecomec motors made in Guangdong

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agoraphobia

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I pulled the guard off my new Oregon Hydro chain grinder and read the sticker with the motor specs and noticed that they were different than advertised. Baileys advertises "120 V - 60Hz, 285W/300W 3,400 RPM" but the motor says it is "60Hz 3400rpm 115V 200W, 4.2A." So I ran it on an online calculator (amps x volts=watts) and it didn't make much sense 4.2x115=483W(not 200W)?

So I asked about it on an electrical forum (cause I ain't no 'lectrician) and one response was "China." So I had to look because even though Tecomec makes the grinder and Tecomec is Italian and their board is all Italian looking and their literature is all Italian looking at the parent group (The Yama Group), in spite of all this I still figured the motor was made overseas. So long story summed up, I found Liansan Hardware in Guangdong who advertises Tecomec as one of their main customers:
Main Customers: TOYOTA in Australia Co., Ltd; TECOMEC S.R.L.; LPE Products Co., Ltd., HAILO (Germany), HAFALE, WITELITE (America), RIET (Ita

AC/DC motors,mini air pumps,stamping mould and products,investment casting mould and products,lights and lighting equipment,dustbins,metal and plastic molds,plastic and metal parts and other products,rubber mould and products,die-casting part

That said I am pretty impressed with the grinder, all things considered. The casting on the guard wasn't perfect and was a pain to get back on (the allen wrench doesn't have enough room to get in the motor mount screw square, and the other not oft used screw has to bend the casting down to tighten up). The hydraulics make the unit a little stiff up and down. Other than that I can't complain. I think the non-hydro unit would be the better buy, but I got it for a song.

Anyway, thought having the information out there was worth a post (couldn't find it in a search. I know us newbies never can can we?)

So I pulled the guard off my new Oregon Hydro chain grinder and read the sticker with the motor specs and noticed that they were different than advertised. Baileys advertises "120 V - 60Hz, 285W/300W 3,400 RPM" but the motor says it is "60Hz 3400rpm 115V 200W, 4.2A." So I ran it on an online calculator (amps x volts=watts) and it didn't make much sense 4.2x115=483W(not 200W)?

So I asked about it on an electrical forum (cause I ain't no 'lectrician) and one response was "China." So I had to look because even though Tecomec makes the grinder and Tecomec is Italian and their board is all Italian looking and their literature is all Italian looking at the parent group (The Yama Group), in spite of all this I still figured the motor was made overseas. So long story summed up, I found Liansan Hardware in Guangdong who advertises Tecomec as one of their main customers:

That said I am pretty impressed with the grinder, all things considered. The casting on the guard wasn't perfect and was a pain to get back on (the allen wrench doesn't have enough room to get in the motor mount screw square, and the other not oft used screw has to bend the casting down to tighten up). The hydraulics make the unit a little stiff up and down. Other than that I can't complain. I think the non-hydro unit would be the better buy, but I got it for a song.

Anyway, thought having the information out there was worth a post (couldn't find it in a search. I know us newbies never can can we?)

Would this be a case of looking for trouble where none existed? :)

Are you asking about your post or mine?

It's really a case of no extension cord and gas in the shed so I haven't done any grinding with it yet and have too much time to think about it and not enough use yet... But so far I like it.

When I searched though I thought it was interesting how many threads referred to the Chinese knock off grinders and the Italian made grinders. My guess is that all but Silvey's and maybe Stihl usg and a few others are Chinese (though not all knock offs).

Last edited:
Are you asking about your post or mine?

It's really a case of no extension cord and gas in the shed so I haven't done any grinding with it yet and have too much time to think about it and not enough use yet... But so far I like it.

When I searched though I thought it was interesting how many threads referred to the Chinese knock off grinders and the Italian made grinders. My guess is that all but Silvey's and maybe Stihl usg and a few others are Chinese (though not all knock offs).

That may very well be the case.

In the '80's , I bought one of the first Grizzly 20 inch planers. I dialed it in before using it, and it worked pretty well.

My high end shop buddy bought one too, and tried to use it as it came. Didn't do perfect work (at $ 1250) so he sent it back and bought a Delta. When it came it was made in Brazil..(I think, but S. America) $ 6000. Cut exactly like the Grizzly out of the box. So he dialed it in and it worked as well as mine. :)

Back