Teeth Sharpening: Green Wheels Comparisons.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Silicone Carbide 'Green Wheel' is the best for the money?

• CGW: Camel Grinding Wheel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Norton

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Gemini

• Task

• Zak

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other... Please Comment!

• Total voters

Chrome Industry

Reaction score
Lurker for many months, lots of great info going back and forth! Just getting my business off the ground, actually, I'm ass deep in business fees, but that's another thread and I need more sharpening advice!
I purchased a hand grinder with a green cup wheel that I bought off Ebay for $15 (
Zak Green Silicon Carbide Stone Grinding Cup 4"x2" x 80 grit). It was hard to control the cut for a perfect sharp tooth, but it did my whole wheel without breaking a sweat. But, I had a bucket of dull teeth by now, so setup an 8" green wheel on my bench-grinder. I went with a POWERTEC 15503 5/8" Arbor 60-Grit Silicon Carbide Grinding Wheel ($20 on Amazon). Before finishing a single tooth, the wheel had a 1/2" groove (http://imgur.com/a/YQ4fL) in it and the carbide was buffed at best, not even scratched, sharpening the dull side into the wheel! It got angrily tossed back into the bin without a photo to prove it...

I saw the dealer had a CGW wheel for sale, and I also see Norton, Gemini and Task wheels. Anyone care to share their experiences with each? I am not ready for diamond at the moment, but if someone would care to explain how to setup a diamond sharpening system, that would be helpful, although I'd like to stay on the topic of comparisons of green wheels.

Back