Telescoping truck for tree removal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello I would like to get your perspective on telescoping bucket truck for tree service. Are there advantages and disadvantages over a conventional bucket trucks? Im asking because I'm in the process of starting a tree service and found a real great deal on a 90’ telescoping flat bed truck. My plan was to get a 75’ elevated bucket truck with a chip box but I really don’t want to pass on this deal it this type of truck would be sufficient in tree removal.

Hello I would like to get your perspective on telescoping bucket truck for tree service. Are there advantages and disadvantages over a conventional bucket trucks? Im asking because I'm in the process of starting a tree service and found a real great deal on a 90’ telescoping flat bed truck. My plan was to get a 75’ elevated bucket truck with a chip box but I really don’t want to pass on this deal it this type of truck would be sufficient in tree removal.
So you're starting a tree service? And asking questions like this?

To answer the question - I use a straightforward 2-arm access platform with fixed man-cage on the end. It's been very useful, saved a lot of time, BUT so often I've wished for the top arm to be able to telescope out, even just a few feet. It would make my work a lot easier and quicker. It's frustrating to have to go back down, pull the stabilisers in, move 6 feet, reset the stabilisers, and go back up just to reach that extra little bit I couldn't get before. The danger is the temptation, which I usually give in to, to lean way out from the cage...

To answer the question - I use a straightforward 2-arm access platform with fixed man-cage on the end. It's been very useful, saved a lot of time, BUT so often I've wished for the top arm to be able to telescope out, even just a few feet. It would make my work a lot easier and quicker. It's frustrating to have to go back down, pull the stabilisers in, move 6 feet, reset the stabilisers, and go back up just to reach that extra little bit I couldn't get before. The danger is the temptation, which I usually give in to, to lean way out from the cage...
Aren't you in a safety harness tied in? If not that's not good.

Better be in a safety harness for sure. Adding a retractable lanyard will give you some flexibility and shorter stopping distances when compared to a folded lanyard that has to break open and unfold to stop your fall.

Whatever, my point is that I've often wished that the top arm on my own access platform was telescopic, for the reasons given. :)

That could happen with any type of bucket, even with a telescoping arm. Sometimes you just need to reposition.....but if you are doing it all the time your platform is too small for the type of work you are doing.

Back