Tell us about things that annoy you on the job site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or when customers blab the price of a job out right in front of your help. Or worse yet when I’m off moving equipment and they give the ground guy my check - without an envelope.
Meh.

Only idiots see the $$ amount and think they are getting **** for the work compared to the boss.

Meh.

Only idiots see the $$ amount and think they are getting **** for the work compared to the boss.

I’m not gonna argue about whether your average ground guy is an idiot or not, my main thing is that it’s in poor taste and these people should know better.

I’ve had my own business since I was 23, it took me long enough to learn through experience to shut my mouth talking about numbers in front of the guys, I don’t need Joe Blow customer doing it for me.

I’m not gonna argue about whether your average ground guy is an idiot or not, my main thing is that it’s in poor taste and these people should know better.

I’ve had my own business since I was 23, it took me long enough to learn through experience to shut my mouth talking about numbers in front of the guys, I don’t need Joe Blow customer doing it for me.
So are you there each time to collect payments?

I've had my guys handle that. Don't understand why you'd feel it's a secret that your guys can't know unless you are paying them **** and really raking it in.

I had a kid working for me say "wow, you make $500 for that?... and i got only $100?"

No, I brought in $500. Minus all sorts of expenses your $100 is likely better than I earned.

So are you there each time to collect payments?

I've had my guys handle that. Don't understand why you'd feel it's a secret that your guys can't know unless you are paying them **** and really raking it in.

I had an ADD kid say "wow, you make $500 fot that?... and i got only $100?"

No, I brought in $500. Minus all sorts of expenses your $100 is better than I earned.

I don’t even know where to start with that... so I’m just not going to.

I don’t even know where to start with that... so I’m just not going to.
If you say so.

Seems very strange to feel the bill amount is a secret. Did annoy me when a worker would not shut up though and say stuff around a customer like "wow, that's alot of money" "wow, I'd never pay that much"
Really dude?!

Most trades I've hired billed me and I paid the worker. They hand off the money to their boss who eventually pays them.
Would be odd to have a boss riding around billing and collecting payments.

If you say so.

Seems very strange to feel the bill amount is a secret.

Most trades I've hired billed me and I paid the worker. They hand off the money to their boss who eventually pays them.

Okay. Sounds like you’ve got it all figured out.

If you say so.

Seems very strange to feel the bill amount is a secret. Did annoy me when a worker would not shut up though and say stuff around a customer like "wow, that's alot of money" "wow, I'd never pay that much"
Really dude?!

Where I live, usually the work is done and someone mails me a bill unless the boss happens to be there. I email bills to most customers....even if I'm there when the work gets finished. As I said on page 1.....price is almost never brought up between me and my guys (or gals). I don't think it has to be a "secret" but there is no advantage or reason that I can think of that it's a good idea to discuss it unless you are training someone to bid work.

And it is possible to pay the highest wages of any tree company in your area AND still make bank. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I guess if I was selling bundles of firewood or running a farm stand I wouldn’t mind the guys knowing what things went for. I suppose there’d be no way around it really.

When you pick up a chainsaw, start it, and the chain starts running because the previous user didn't apply the chain brake like they're supposed to and can't seem to be understand why it's a safety issue.

When you pick up a chainsaw, start it, and the chain starts running because the previous user didn't apply the chain brake like they're supposed to and can't seem to be understand why it's a safety issue.
It's rare I use a chain brake. One of my saws had it gutted at some point and I've never bothered to fix it.

I do set it if handing a running to someone of course.

So when you're climbing or up in the bucket, you hit your chain brake every time you shut off your saw? Or do you start a saw with the chain in a place where you may get cut if the brake isn't on? If you have to have the brake on every time you start a saw, you should seriously re-evaluate how you are starting saws because there should never be a time where you have a chance to have an accident because your brake isn't on. If you have an accident because your brake wasn't on while starting a saw.....the problem is you.

Latest posts

Back