Temp Problem Vermeer 1250 (please help)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cts2005

Reaction score
I have a 1987 vermeer 1250 chipper (225hp ford industial motor) . When the temp hites 220. it shut down.. I changed the thermo. (160) And still have this problem. the machine isn't over heating its just shutting down. Anyone have any tips for me..

chipper shut down

Your coolant temp should never reach 220 with a 160 thermostat. Most likely you have a clogged radiator. Do you use a window screen in front of the rad.? The reason its shutting down is beceause its equipped with a "murphy" failsafe system which monitors temp and oil pressure and will shut down if the engine operated outside of set parameters. If you still have problems give Northeastern a buzz they can help you out.

Clogged radiator, bad water pump, bad thermostat, inproper install on new thermostat all possible cause of overheat. I would not run the unit until problem is resolved and temp stays in normal range 160- 180. I suggest changing the oil in the unit ASAP also, motor oil breaks down quickly in a overheated motor and can lead to worse problems. Welcome to site and good luck.

Dude - if you are at 220 you are overheating - plain and simple. Check into the usual suspects and you should be able to cure it...

you may have air lock. it you introduced air when you worked on the radiator system it may have an air lock that prevents the thermostat to open but still registered an overheating engine. this happened in my truck a few months back when i changed the water pump.

Back