Tenon cutter help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am considering the same thing for the future. I got ahold of a book that covers the subject of tennons. A 1/16th's smaller hole results in a exra tight fit which may or may not be a good thing for the joint. Wood does expand and contract with changes in moisture levels The book also shows that the mortise and tennon joint being pinned by a small dowel rod. I hope this helps a little .

I don't see why it wouldn't work. That carpenters glue is strong stuff.As long as the work piece is basically sturdy the glue should hold it together. They glue pieces together to make table tops.

I am a little out of my element when it comes to fine woodworking.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. That carpenters glue is strong stuff.As long as the work piece is basically sturdy the glue should hold it together. They glue pieces together to make table tops.

I am a little out of my element when it comes to fine woodworking.

I do log furniture not fine woodwork. What do you make?

I am considering making log furniture also. I already own a tree service and have access to wood. I have enough saws just need a few more tools. A tennon maker is on the list along with a small chainsaw saw mill to make slabs for the seats.

I have dabbled in the past making benches and carving big and small mushrooms out of logs. I wish I could carve animals but I am just not an artist with a chainsaw. The benches I see with the carved animals on the ends are really eye catching.

Getting back to the glue question. I made a Red Cedar bench for our living room and glued in the cross brace. It has held up for good many years. The bench has seved as a sitting bench, tv stand, and is now a knick knack stand for Christmas figurines.

Have you sold any of your furniture??? This is the problem I see. Selling it. I don't live next to a busy road and would really have to advertise it and like any product it takes a certain buyer to buy a bench or chair made out of rough logs. I see these log furniture pieces everywhere and some of them are really pricey. I know the sanding , finishing and detail work is the hardest thing to do and most time consuming. I am going to try and find a middle ground if I get into it seriously.

Wolf, don't you also get into modding saws???

Last edited:
Lonewolf, I'm not sure of the bit you mean,but you want your joint just snug,a dowel through would be a bonus too.Are your tennons for a table or chair stretcher?

I've played with fine woodworking but now realise the chainsaw meets my skill level better!:greenchainsaw:

Forgot to say,guerilla glue is one of the best,its expands a good bit and can be messy but surperb strength

I am considering making log furniture also. I already own a tree service and have access to wood. I have enough saws just need a few more tools. A tennon maker is on the list along with a small chainsaw saw mill to make slabs for the seats.

I have dabbled in the past making benches and carving big and small mushrooms out of logs. I wish I could carve animals but I am just not an artist with a chainsaw. The benches I see with the carved animals on the ends are really eye catching.

Getting back to the glue question. I made a Red Cedar bench for our living room and glued in the cross brace. It has held up for good many years. The bench has seved as a sitting bench, tv stand, and is now a knick knack stand for Christmas figurines.

Have you sold any of your furniture??? This is the problem I see. Selling it. I don't live next to a busy road and would really have to advertise it and like any product it takes a certain buyer to buy a bench or chair made out of rough logs. I see these log furniture pieces everywhere and some of them are really pricey. I know the sanding , finishing and detail work is the hardest thing to do and most time consuming. I am going to try and find a middle ground if I get into it seriously.

Wolf, don't you also get into modding saws???
I dont sell them but they just make good presents for good friends and family.I dont mod the saws very often but one or two are.

Lonewolf, I'm not sure of the bit you mean,but you want your joint just snug,a dowel through would be a bonus too.Are your tennons for a table or chair stretcher?

I've played with fine woodworking but now realise the chainsaw meets my skill level better!:greenchainsaw:

Forgot to say,guerilla glue is one of the best,its expands a good bit and can be messy but surperb strength

Yup used gorilla glue it is strong. The tennons are for stools.

I tried gorilla glue but found it messy. I use Titebond three because it works very good. I use it on inside and outside projects.

Lone wolf did you ever figure out what you gonna get?

picture.php

I picked mine up for about $70 if I remember right.

You could use a router. They work well if you take the time to set them up right.

I am considering buying a 1 inch tenon cutter do I use the same size drill for the hole or do you use a fraction smaller so you get a tight fit?
I use the same size hole when making furniture glue/dowel.
Veritas makes a great 1" tenon cutter for $100.
Mark

Latest posts

Back