Thanks everyone for the help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuleyJ

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just bought my first saw today and it ended up being the stihl 361. Awesome saw so far. I would just like to thank everone for there input, helped a lot. I did stop by the dolmar dealer today as well, everyone talks about the way these saws run (really well from what I hear), but wow what a sweet looking saw too. I hate to even say this but I am seriously thinkin about a 5100 to sit on the deck just to look at lol. Well I might use it for something. Anyway thanks to all! Any other need to knows about breaking in would be helpful too.

Excellant investment.
Keep your chain and bar out of the dirt and sharp. It took me about a season to grasp how critical that is to performance and reliability. Cost me the price of a couple bars chains and sprockets also. After your saw is broke in (check your manual and I suggest reading the whole thing) be sure your dealer checks its high rpm with a tach and has it properly adjusted.

computeruser said:
Congrats on your purchase and happy cutting. What bar length did you go with?

Make sure to take lots of pics of your saw at work and post 'em up here!

I got the 20" bar and man I didn't know what I had been missing. This saw flies compared to the old yellow one. I know I dont have a lot of experience with the kind of saws you guys do but wow even more than I was expecting.

And now just think about when u get that 5100S, it'll outcut that 361! not that the 361 is a bad saw, quite the opposite.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
And now just think about when u get that 5100S, it'll outcut that 361! not that the 361 is a bad saw, quite the opposite.
-Ralph

And then a guy cuts you down after you spend 2 weeks researching and make the most informed purchase you can. Im sure the dolmar is a good saw, bought the stihl after I looked at the dolmar. Primary reason was dealer quality and reliability of the manufacturer. As I said i'm sure the dolmar is every bit the saw you all say it is, but i personally only own one saw, as of today, and dont feel comfortable working on the saw myself yet. But i will eventually purchase a 5100 as well.

You did good for yourself. The dealer and long term parts and service availability are more important that off the shelf speed. Wait a year and buy a new Dolmar. If you do not have money to chance let those who do determine the saws long term value. The 5100 hype reminds me of to many other new to the market super tools. Time will tell, I myself can wait. Congratulations on your new saw. Be careful. Buy yourself some safety wear if you do not already have some.

Brushwacker said:
Excellant investment.
.... After your saw is broke in (check your manual and I suggest reading the whole thing) be sure your dealer checks its high rpm with a tach and has it properly adjusted.
I agree one hundred percent! :clap:

The MS361 takes about 15 tanks or so to break in properly, and you will notice an improvement in power during that period.

I use RSC chain for clean wood, and RM for stumping and dirty wood.

MuleyJ said:
And then a guy cuts you down after you spend 2 weeks researching and make the most informed purchase you can. Im sure the dolmar is a good saw, bought the stihl after I looked at the dolmar. Primary reason was dealer quality and reliability of the manufacturer. As I said i'm sure the dolmar is every bit the saw you all say it is, but i personally only own one saw, as of today, and dont feel comfortable working on the saw myself yet. But i will eventually purchase a 5100 as well.

WTF?? You can't read? I just said the 361 is a fine saw.
begleytree said:
not that the 361 is a bad saw, quite the opposite.
I used to buy nothing but stihl too. I thought they were the only saw out there to stand up to the rigors of 40-60 hrs a week on a crew. I've since learned that stihl has a good product and a better PR dept. That doesn't change the fact that I own 13 stihl saws from the 17 to the 660, and they work and make me money on the jobs everyday.

Again, just in case you missed it again, good choice.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
WTF?? You can't read? I just said the 361 is a fine saw.

I used to buy nothing but stihl too. I thought they were the only saw out there to stand up to the rigors of 40-60 hrs a week on a crew. I've since learned that stihl has a good product and a better PR dept. That doesn't change the fact that I own 13 stihl saws from the 17 to the 660, and they work and make me money on the jobs everyday.

Again, just in case you missed it again, good choice.
-Ralph

No, I am not illiterate, and I really didn't mean to cause that much contravesy. Simply illustrating my position and decision for the purchase. Not trying to claim that I know more than you do about the saw(s) either. I guess in the future I will need to give more thought to my responses so as to not rev anybody up quite that much.

Pictures

I would appreciate you NOT posting any pictures. I already have way too many saws (that is if there can be such a thing). If I read anymore good experiences regarding the 361; I will have to expand my shelf space. So for the sake of us addicts, keep the candy away!:biggrinbounce2:

Muley, I' not reved up about this. I just didn't want you to misunderstand me.
When I started my co, all I had was a 009L and a 028WB. my first new saw was a MS360 pro. I took that thing out on a job, and sunk it in wood. I don't think I stopped smiling for 2 days. (I still have that saw). as time wore on and I bought more stihls I learned other things. I learned for instance that the 660 is a great saw, but, it wont do anything for me around here that a 460 wont do, but it weighs more. I learned that some stihl saws are too expensive forwhat you get. (in hindsight, my 360 pro fits this catagory at $550) I also learned that there are other brands out there that are not as good as stihl. some are as good as stihl, and a few models are better. I base my subjective "good" on factors such as easy maintence, fast cutting, and price. One thing that pushed me to try other brands is the fact that my local stihl dealer is an azz, and the husky and dolmar delers here are just the opposite. Don't forget about the power of this site too.
From your posts I see you are very happy with your 361. you have every right to be. comming from saws we both came from, to practically the same first new saw as each other, I know your joy!
You mentioned it was fast cutting and that was something you never experienced before now. All I was trying to say with my first post is that that feeling will continue thru the planned 5100S purchase. Some will say that the 361 and 5100 are too close together sizewise to warrant the purchase. Maybe, but who has too many saws anyway? I total 22 running and working saws, not counting pole saws, blowers, trimmers and other parts saws. Each has it's own job, and thats mainly to make me happy (read happy=money too) lol.
Enjoy your saw, you made a good purchase. and enjoy the next one, and the next one, and, well, you get where this is going :cheers:
-Ralph

begleytree said:
-Ralph
The power to weight ratios of the 346xp, ps-5100 and 361 is pretty close, when using the rated kW and the real weights, and the 361 doesn't have the handicap of the older two ported Stihls......:rockn:

Latest posts

Back