That is it! I am covering it!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyMike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Beautiful day in my little corner of Heaven today. BUT the weather says some thunder and a "soaking" rain tonight. Chance of rain 90 %

I am gonna go outside and cover some of my stacks in a little bit. I don't have enough tarps to cover all my stacks and piles but if I cover what I can, at least
I can keep some of it from getting soaked AGAIN and maybe, just maybe I might have some wood that is just a little close to being dry enough to burn in the new stove.

I really am getting scared that my wood will be under seasoned again this year. Last year it was my fault for not splitting and stacking till August. This year I did it all in April and May to avoid this problem but I guess the rain Gods have different plans!!

I agree. :agree2: More than tired of the rain... great for the yard, but hell on the wood. Last season we ran about of wood b/c we didn't get the inserts/stoves until November (b/c that's when we learned about such things) and weren't prepared. This year, been busting butt trying to get prepared, but still learning the ropes on how to score free firewood, especially the 'good' stuff. The combination of rain and our stacks pretty much being 100% shade... not good. We probably don't have enough wood for this coming season, but will be able to last longer. Good luck! :cheers:

(is it just me or is someone playing with the smileys? can't find the 'cheers' one or a couple others. We'll see if the above works.)

PITA: I ran out last year also!! Not this year, I think I have enough and then some. I have the same problem, my yard is mostly frontage, my stacks are in a shaded area and my pile gets some sun.

The only way to avoid this for me is to stack in the front yard, which is not going to happen.

P.s. Last year when the storm hit, alot of trees came down on my stacks ripping the tarps, I only have enough tarps to cover 2 out of my 8 stacks.
Looks like it is time to hit the dollar store!!!

as has been said you need to bust butt on next years stack :chainsawguy: . that way you are ready to :blob2:

Yup, it's pouring out right now! I have this coming winters wood covered on the top. I usually cover the top in the winter and take it off in the summer months to help it dry out but it has been far too wet to do so this year.

Headed out the door now to pick up another load for 2011. People round here must think I'm crazy to be collecting wood all summer (and winter), but if it's there to be had, you best be grabbing it.

Completely agree! People have commented to me about (1) it being too late to split for this season or (2) already having enough. It doesn't occur to them that someone would try to get ahead.

PITA: I ran out last year also!! Not this year, I think I have enough and then some. I have the same problem, my yard is mostly frontage, my stacks are in a shaded area and my pile gets some sun.

The only way to avoid this for me is to stack in the front yard, which is not going to happen.

P.s. Last year when the storm hit, alot of trees came down on my stacks ripping the tarps, I only have enough tarps to cover 2 out of my 8 stacks.
Looks like it is time to hit the dollar store!!!

Same issue here... most of my yard is in the front. In the back it's an irregular shape with a little area of grass (which was built up for the septic and leeching field) that's bordered by woods. In the woods is the only area for me to put the stacks, which then means no sun. All well... it's the best I can do. I use tarps during the rain and snow seasons and have a fair amount of $ tied up in probably 10 tarps.

I think I will have to play the old game of, Put tarps on, take tarps off for the rest of the summer and fall.

I dont cover my wood til winter to keep the snow oof of it. Rain water will be out of it by fall. There still are plenty of hot summer days to come. I remember someone saying wetting the wood pulls moisture out when it evaporates. I cant remember the thread but Im sure you could search. :)

What is this "rain" stuff you speak of? I'm gonna start seeing scorpions and roadrunners here if we don't get some before too long...

I'm with rookie - no covering till I want to keep the snow off the piles, but all mine get good sun 8+ hours a day.

Steve

85 degrees and beautiful today!!!
Just pulled the tarps off and it is sposed to be rain free for like 4 days, I will keep watch on the weather from here on in.

The reason that I am soo scared is cuz I have a Jotul F500 on order and I hear that them stoves like the wood Very dry!! I DO NOT wanna pay the proPAIN man another $900 bucks!!!

Now I am just wondering if I am gonna need the blower on the new stove. I had one on my old stove and it made a huge difference. Sove is not central in the house so I really gotta push the heat!!!

Completely agree! People have commented to me about (1) it being too late to split for this season or (2) already having enough. It doesn't occur to them that someone would try to get ahead.
Most people have a problem planning ahead to next week, much less trying to plan ahead to next year or further.

85 degrees and beautiful today!!!
Just pulled the tarps off and it is sposed to be rain free for like 4 days, I will keep watch on the weather from here on in.

The reason that I am soo scared is cuz I have a Jotul F500 on order and I hear that them stoves like the wood Very dry!! I DO NOT wanna pay the proPAIN man another $900 bucks!!!

Now I am just wondering if I am gonna need the blower on the new stove. I had one on my old stove and it made a huge difference. Sove is not central in the house so I really gotta push the heat!!!

105 degrees and another day in Oklahoma in July...

I dont cut in the summer because of the heat and the abundance of snakes around here. Im more of a recreational wood burner / burn wood on cold days instead of the central heat so running out isn't going to leave me in the cold.

The reason that I am soo scared is cuz I have a Jotul F500 on order and I hear that them stoves like the wood Very dry!!

I have one of those, just bought it in February this year. It was a last minute decision and I was burning stuff that I had cut in November. It heated my place just fine. Probably creosoted my flue up more than good dry wood would have and I probably burned more wood than I would have. Can't wait till this fall to see how it does with stuff that's been up a year.

Ian

I dont cover my wood til winter to keep the snow oof of it. Rain water will be out of it by fall. There still are plenty of hot summer days to come. I remember someone saying wetting the wood pulls moisture out when it evaporates. I cant remember the thread but Im sure you could search. :)

I remember that too. Someone joked that he was goig to go out and hose down his wood stacks - and when the neighbors came to inquire, just to tell them he was drying his wood.

Seriously, all of the wood that I split last fall and winter for this year and next sat out all winter - and got 15 feet of snow dumped on. When I went to stack the wood in April, it felt different. Within a few weeks, it had a real seasoned look - all cracked and chinked, and quite a bit lighter.

If I knew we were going to get basically a month of uninterupted rain, I'd have considered tarping.

Back