Thats my boy.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaaccarlson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My wife and son came out to watch me split wood today and I decided to see if he wanted to help. I asked him if he wanted to help daddy and he said yes. I positioned him at the control lever and showed him how it worked. Then I loaded a log and told him to push the lever forward...he did and the log split in two and he pulled the lever back to return the cylinder. Then he wanted to do it again....and again....and again..... He helped me split 6 logs and went to build a snowman!!!! I am so proud of him. Now I just have to weld a seat to the splitter so he can run the hydraulics while I load the logs.....:clap::clap::dizzy::dizzy::clap::clap: HE IS 3!!!!

Its cool how these little guys love to watch and absorb what they see. My son turned 3 last December and he's my shadow. He likes stand to the side and watch the logs get bucked up with his own ear protection muffs on. I got him one of those Husky toy chainsaws for his birthday and loves to pretend cutting the recliner arm off and the coffee table legs.

I suppose in time they'll be doing more of the work and we'll be the ones standing back watching them do it!

That's great! My little guy is only 2 weeks old but I'm already waiting til the day he gets old enough to come out and split wood with me!

Good for ya, get em hooked while they're young.

Be careful though, the little guy's bound to make a mistake or two, just be sure your hands are ALWAYS on the sides of the logs and NEVER on the end where they can get mangled. It's great advice and practice for anyone who has someone else running the lever, no matter the age.

I was running farm machinery as soon as I could reach the pedals, 9-10 years old. Too many kids today are coddled and overprotected. Children learn much better and faster than us old codgers do. Just teach them right and make a good impression while they're young.

I have learned well the importance of keeping your hands out.

My dad runs his splitter and barely lets you get the new piece in before hitting the lever again......:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

I wish I'd gotten some pics last year of my 5 yr old helping me run the splitter, with his little earmuffs and safety glasses on . . .:cry:

Ahhhhhhh, sweet memories!!!

good story..my son is 4.5 he too likes to help split in fact today we will go at it...he has me roll a fat log so he can stand to work lever i just gotta watch so he don't slip..has been helping since last year...he can also run my skid loader...has pilot controls...you should see the neighbors look when they drive by and see him running my jd 490 excavator tought him this summer with me in cab with him he can load trucks with shale it's a blast

both my girls started working the lever at 4years old. they thought it was the coolest thing. i had to lift them up to reach it cuse i didnt want them leaning on the motor but the loved it. ill be splittin again soon its just hard now cuse i dont wanna waste a weekend when i have them doing crap like that. id rather be playing with them.

marriage is all well and good till you find out your wifes been screwing around for over 2.5 years and basicly the last 2.5 years of your life was a lie. good times. enjoy the kids while you can kids are the best thing in the world!

My 7 year old has her "own "chainsaw, I wish that I could have been there to see the look on her tree hugger teachers face when she told about it at show and tell time!! {discraimer} she NEVER runs it without my hands on the saw with her, but she does it all!!!

Be careful though, the little guy's bound to make a mistake or two, just be sure your hands are ALWAYS on the sides of the logs and NEVER on the end where they can get mangled. It's great advice and practice for anyone who has someone else running the lever, no matter the age.

I agree. I lost part of my finger in a woodsplitter accident and was sent to the #1 top hand surgeon in the area. He said the #1 woodsplitter accident cause was two people splitting at once and besides snowblowers it was one of his best customer producers. He said too many people have a split second error and the guy holding the log gets hurt.

Latest posts

Back