That's what I'm talking about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I'm not ready to trust two mechanical ascenders as my sole attachment to the rope.

Me neither, but it's not difficult at all to add a CROLL or something similar. 75 feet in 20 seconds is the part I like.

If there was way to make the long ascender shorter and reliable I'd build my own.

I concur - I a like new gadgets and all, but I would not be comfortable having this as my only tie in to the rope....

That system is only different in that it gets rid of the foot ascender and puts one of the hand ascenders on a stick so that the two ascenders do not interfere with each other. The fast part comes from his very long steps and his fitness. Myself, my knees are not ready for stepping up from fully squatted position, and I think I would be very winded if I tried 75' of vertical climb in 20 seconds.

This system also puts the suspension point above the climber, so it is easier for the feet to push away from the vertical center line. That will require a different set of muscles and might be uncomfortable for some.

That system is only different in that it gets rid of the foot ascender and puts one of the hand ascenders on a stick so that the two ascenders do not interfere with each other. The fast part comes from his very long steps and his fitness. Myself, my knees are not ready for stepping up from fully squatted position, and I think I would be very winded if I tried 75' of vertical climb in 20 seconds.

This system also puts the suspension point above the climber, so it is easier for the feet to push away from the vertical center line. That will require a different set of muscles and might be uncomfortable for some.

I just set up a Frog walker system, I can take big steps on it, and it's a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I know what you're saying about the suspension points being up high, seems like he'd have to use a lot of upper body strength the stay vertical, a Croll with over the shoulder bungee would cure that though, and make the system secure if one of the hand ascenders were to fail.

Frog walker is both legs at once, right? I thought that was the whole benefit of that system; big steps done with both legs (and arms)

No, both legs at once is a Frog.

Frog Walker is one leg at a time like when you're walking except you're walking up the rope.

It's actually easier than both legs at once, because you don't have to sit in the harness and then stand back up again to step up. You remain vertical and relaxed. Much easier. Just let your legs do the climbing, and move the hand ascender up every other step.

I guess you could use a double foot loop attached to the hand ascender and lift both feet at once, but it requires more energy than one foot at a time. For example; if you were to walk say 100 yards it would be easy; right? But if you tried hopping 100 yards it would be difficult. Well, maybe not for you, but for most of us it would be difficult. :)

Latest posts

Back