The 029 Sthil ,small / medium/ large saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Today I was using the 029 Sthil and the thought hit me that it's such a middle of the road saw, it's the Smallest big saw I'd ever want to use and it's the Largest small saw I'd want to use. Every saw has its place and I'm guessing lots of people with only one saw could make do with the 029. For smaller light work the 026 Sthil seems right for me. But today as I dropped a big back leaning Sweet Gum using the 590 Timberwolf with a 24 inch bar and full chisel tooth chain came in handy. The Echo Timberwolf, has a bigger motor saw than the 029 and therefore a bigger saw, but it doesn't really feel a lot bigger to me. This leads me to conclude having a Small, Medium and Large saw beats having just one saw that's a do it all saw. But, if I had to choose just 1 saw I might choose the MS290. Maybe a Husky 445. Any opinions on this subject is appreciated.

You can do a lot of work with a good 50-60cc saw. What works for a one-saw plan will vary based on what you usually cut.

I have been particularly impressed with what I can do with a strong ported 50cc saw, which in my case comes in the form of the 346xp platform. But if I regularly worked in larger wood than I do, I might want something larger for my one-saw plan. For a time I used a 7900-20”/28” to fill that niche, but that thing gets heavy after a while.

But, alas, saws don’t cost all that much in the great scheme of things, so I don’t have to make such tough choices...

I think a 3 saw plan is ideal for someone that cuts a fair amount but not all day everyday. The 029 is a bit heavy for its power compared to other modern saws but is very durable. The 039/MS390 is the same saw with a bigger engine. That's a better option in my opinion. (and your 029 can become one)
I use about 5 sizes of saws but I need an excuse for owning all the different sizes...
If I were to only have one saw, it would be an 026.

I think a 3 saw plan is ideal for someone that cuts a fair amount but not all day everyday. The 029 is a bit heavy for its power compared to other modern saws but is very durable. The 039/MS390 is the same saw with a bigger engine. That's a better option in my opinion. (and your 029 can become one)
I use about 5 sizes of saws but I need an excuse for owning all the different sizes...
If I were to only have one saw, it would be an 026.

I have had a lot of saws and my old 026 Pro keeps gas in it all the time as I grab it first and unless something is over 15" it works great. Over that size I like my MS361 or Ms440 or Ms660.

I got my 029 red switch the year the 029 was a farm boss, it's had a 20inch bar on it it's whole life pulling 3/8 RM chain, it's cut a fair bit of wood now and then and in bigger stuff it would struggle a bit, I was always going to put a 16" bar on it to help it out but never got to doing it, after joining this site not long ago I did a muffler mod on it and tuned it, haven't put it to wood yet but the torque buck when you hit the trigger feels heaps better, the 20 inch bar might not seem too much anymore, could still go a 16" just to see but for what I use it for its a keeper, can't fault the saw itself, never let me down, I tend to hang onto things though.

Latest posts

Back