THE 08 RESTORATION

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dammet.. I screwed the pooch guys.. These 34mm stroke cranks are not easy to find.. I was cleaning the journals as It seemed the inner race seized and scarred up the journal.. The pto side key was really chewed up and I spent 3 hours gently trying to get it out.. And finally resorted to a dremel and cut down the center to get it to collapse.. And I slipped and nicked the damn journal where it's very obvious the oil seal sits there..
1583188523721849681206636194207.jpg

I'm going to try to see if I can sand it out and hope that there's enough tension left in that seal to still wrap around the crank unless you guys have another option to that

I think this should work.. I used 320..600..1000 then 3000 grit on the lathe and it's gone
The main journal surface is. .5903 and the area where I sanded the scar out is at. 5866
For a diameter which is . 0037 smaller.. It's got a bit of a taper to it there at the shoulder but I think it's gonna be fine

15831901845014760968211706550952.jpg

now im waiting for some stuff to show up in the mail, i got the starter cover but got lied to ,,,damn thing is missing some fins, im gonna see if it can be welded , by using some fins from an old busted starter cover to fill in the missing ones..

I decided to get an ultrasonic cleaner and I tend to shop with my eyes sometimes more than reading and I ended up with a two liter Ultrasonic Cleaner which was a lot smaller than I thought it would be I wanted something more into 10 L size range so I'll probably be getting another one since this one seems to have a problem with the heater as soon as I plugged it in and switched it on the Magic Smoke came out of the bottom of the box so15836128207678382929618966842436.jpg

My latest 08S came with one broken fin. I cut a piece of sheet metal to bridge the gap and then put JB Weld on each side and the ends. After filing, sanding, and painting, the mend was indistinguishable from the other fins. I plan to use the same method when I restore my other 08S's, which are missing whole fins.

nice ...thank you for that... i was wondering how i could do that.. i have a spare starter housing thats all busted up but has plenty of donor fins that i could take from... i was planning on using that as an excuse to go ahead and buy a tig welder, but even with a tig, it would be hard getting into those little nooks to weld those fins in without damaging the neighboring areas.

i still need the tig, to fix the crack in the oil housing and probly the hole in the tension adjuster pocket

im super happy with the mod i just did to the blast cabinet, i added a metering valve to the bottom..it now has a much more even flow of media, with the ability to adjust a little depending on media size,
i thought it would be wasted money but wanted to try it, turned out to be a great mod, now the weak point is the actual gun.. but even with the crappy HF gun that came with it, the difference is night and day
i can run at 50 psi instead of 90 and it still gets the job die faster at 50psi and with less pressure theres less chance of me screwing up a part

the cleaner does a great job, but i screwed up and put the carb housings in with simple green I D I O T...not they look like crap.. im waiting on some non abrasive media and im planning on putting the housings and some bolts that got screwed up in the simple green in there to get a bit of shine back to them..not much just so they dont look like i just pulled them outta the mud.. how freakin stupid ...simple green... it has its place, but not with aluminum, it even tarnished the steel bolts and nuts..

I decided to get an ultrasonic cleaner and I tend to shop with my eyes sometimes more than reading and I ended up with a two liter Ultrasonic Cleaner which was a lot smaller than I thought it would be I wanted something more into 10 L size range so I'll probably be getting another one since this one seems to have a problem with the heater as soon as I plugged it in and switched it on the Magic Smoke came out of the bottom of the box soView attachment 804475
Looks like a good unit. How much liquid did you put in it? Looks very low in the photo. The liquid acts like a governor to the transducers, like running a saw wot vs in a cut.

i was thinking of the same thing...if i make the angles facing outward it should be much easier to get in there even with a tig welder..without damaging neighboring fins with heat

S O B ...as luck would have it of course.. my damn phone screen is shattered.. i always have tempered glass screen protectors on them.. i had it in my damn back pocket for just a minute , and i sat on the edgeg of the
chair and i must have put just enough bending pressure on the little sob that it shattered.. its because of the curved edge screen, unlike flat cell phone screens, the curved edge screens have zero tolerance for bending
in even the tiniest fraction... so of all the crap to waste money on it comes down to either a 327.00 screen replacement or a 300.00 insurance

Wow, that's a deep one.
im kinda glad it was defective, the shape of it is just not very useful..the capacity is ok, its just the shape, it kinda sucks, so once i return this one, im trading to the 10 liter one..which has about the same depth but is much wider and longer.. and i think it will be alot more useful with larger parts.

Wooohooooo they actually showed up one from France and one from Spain... Im not however happy I paid 340. 00 and 360.00 for them but they are brand spanking new with matching letter pistons and rings.. One even came with a spare new set.. No rust on the rings either.. One has a little scuff that looks like it was ground down but its super minor...Maybe 2 or 3mm long and 1 wrist pin and circlips are missing.. no biggee i guess
I thought for sure I'd get ripped off but they both showed up today.. 6 days total counting weekend..
But here they are in all their glory... Maybe even infected with corona.. First thing I did was hit all of the parts with hand germ sanitizer and a soak in lacquer thinner then denatured alcohol

20200310_135409.jpg

20200310_135449.jpg

im not sure about the rings...i figure i should be able to find a set of new stihl 44mm 1.5 thich rings... you can see the rings on the left piston have small edges where it looks like it was pryed on or something..
the other piston came with two sets but they are looking like different tensions..cuz the free standing gaps are way wider on one set...and as far as i know theres no way to tell if these are actually stihl rings and
a new set would not cost much ata ll.

danget,,,,somebody already cannibalized the 166B i just bought for the governor spring..
so i ordered 2 more.. an a complete set of choke assembly parts to replace what i toook from the spare 166b to put on the 166A
but i have all the parts bead blasted, the housings and covers are ready for primer and the screws and bits are ready for replating once i get the plating setup
still need a few bits and to buy a gasket set which ill use a master set, i though i would cut my own gaskets and purchased some 1/64 1/32 and 1/16
these match very closely all the gaskets on the 08 and 015

If you haven't done it already, I like to flatten the carb flanges using 220 sandpaper stuck to a thick piece of glass. I also flatten the surfaces of the carb metering chamber but not the raised areas on the fuel pump section. After flat, I go again with 320.

Back