THE 08 RESTORATION

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was gonna get as ignorant as to make a fixture and face the flanges off on the cnc mill, but theres just no need for that... i checked the surfaces with a machinist parallel and they are so close to flat that
your first recommendation will be more than enough to get them really flat..

on another note, i discovered that i have been using waaaaayyyyyy too much pressure with my media stripping... and the mixture was waaayyy too rich..
after watching a few video from tacoma company, i was able to lower my running pressure to 40psi and leaned the media mixture out quite a bit
now theres way less dust and with less pressure im not turning so much of my crushed glass into dust as well, and it works just as good at removing rust and paint..
with far less danger of pitting..which im ashamed to say i did do on one part...

on powder coat i do have to turn the pressure up to about 60 and richen the mixture cuz its just too slow on powder coat, but on epoxy paint, poly urethanes , single stage, two stage, rust, clear coats.. 40 psi is more than enough to quickly remove them.. if i need a bit more 48-50 psi is even faster and my compressor runs far less than before..

i am waiting for the no.7 glass bead to try to refinish the aluminum fans and some other parts that need that little bit of shine to them, 40psi is low enough to keep the glass beads from shattering and conserve media as weell as
do a really nice job on the part.

the vibratory no abrasive media i experiment with just was not working on the screws the media is just not small enough to get in there and i dont have a tumbler large enough for the fans
so back to the waiting game but i should be able to prime and sand the parts

and ill check the diaphragm flange and use your recommendation if it needs it.. thank you for that.. those perals of wisdom are the stuff that you just cant replace..thanks for sharing your knowledge with me boss

rick

I got around to cleaning and rebuilding the hl166a.. But I have a question... It has no leaks.. But I cannot get it to popoff with a pressure pump and gauge hooked up to the fuel inlet.. I went to 25psi and it will not popoff.. I'm thinking this is normal cuz the diaphragm is has no pulse.. 20200322_143744.jpg
This is the older non fork style metering lever

20200322_152818.jpg
The soft parts were all still good.. Only the check valve was completely gummed and locked in place.. Punched it out.. Removed the cage face thing that keeps the ball inside the body.. on the end.. Cleaned it out then my son helped me peen the edges back around the check valve edge to make sure it does not come apart..
20200322_160633.jpg
Only thing I was not sure about was the popoff which I have a hunch is normal behavior.. I checked the carb on the 08s and it will not pop off either.. But I did find that it developed a leak so I'll need to tear it apart again and find the source of that

Attachments

• 20200322_143744.jpg
    20200322_143744.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Back