The 511A has arrived

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up an Oregon 511A grinder for $100 from a saw shop going out of busindess. They had only used it for a couple of months. Hopefully I won't have to use it a lot but when the chains get into some nasty stuff it might come in handy. Lately I've been doing a decent job by hand with a file guide. My local shop is 25 miles away so this grinder should pay for itself in the cost of gas alone.

I would say for $100 you could not go wroung. And it will come in handy, I also sharpen alot by hand but it is also nice to be able to do all the work yourself and pluse you dont have to wait on anyone.

Good deal. Can't argue with that price!

You've got a good grinder there. Simple to operate and durable, it will make fixing up chains a lot less painful than doing it by hand. Once you get your technique down, you may just give up on hand filing all together!

Happy sharpening!!

I bought a new 511A grinder off Ebay with the hydraulic assisted clamping. Wow it is fast! Really like the machine. I filed for years but with a grinder my chains are sharper, more consistent, and out perform my filed chains. Also now that the word is out that I have a grinder chains from our rural neighborhood are trickeling in for a sharpening. Makes for good visiting in the shop too.

One minor issue was that the arbor bolt has some thread lock on it from the factory. I had to clean out the threaded hole in the motor shaft to get the bolt to run in easily. Now changing wheels is a snap.

I sharpened a chain for a guy that was convinced that there was something wrong with his saw. Not only was it cutting crooked, but slow. I sharpened, set the rakers to .025 and he was ecstatic. The machine had never cut that well, even when new.

Bob

Latest posts

Back