The 576 XP, wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's likely just a couple sensors that send a signal to a few IC circuit's and an EPROM. It's likely a very simple setup, and it should be full proof. Someone at Husky made a big mistake. They probably thought, well when the saws gets used it will be for bucking only, instead of limb work.

My guess is the 2-5 minute thing is just a safe number, it likely resets much faster than that under hard load.

EPROM, MAF and 02, I would think. Probably a TPS as well. Compensating for different fuels should require a knock sensor, too. It's the way of the future... Just the first wave is all.

In any capacity, I sure like my 372 and 390.

For what it's worth, the Allison transmission on my pickup required "30" cycles to learn my driving my style. The hardcore diesel racers switch TCM's to race... if they're tuning their motor or driveline, they'll pull that TCM and run a different unit, just so they don't re-program the unit they have. That's a lot of work, but it lends to the idea of a computer doing some learning... although the husky is wildly different than what's under the hood of my d-max.

I'd bet you could run that saw lugging hard for 15 seconds and it would learn to cut richer than the factory settings, to a safe level.

Doesn't mean I want one though.

Ya, I'm just really curious to see how it works. I keep thinking how a car would do it. I worked on a 2005 Subaru on Saturday and it took a good 30minutes to relearn the idle after having the battery disconnected, most cars will do it faster.

Ya, I'm just really curious to see how it works. I keep thinking how a car would do it. I worked on a 2005 Subaru on Saturday and it took a good 30minutes to relearn the idle after having the battery disconnected, most cars will do it faster.

Don't they make a cheap 12volt power source you can plug into a cig lighter to keep the computer from resetting? Why wouldn't you use that?

Don't they make a cheap 12volt power source you can plug into a cig lighter to keep the computer from resetting? Why wouldn't you use that?

Yes you can, but safetey in mind. I had the starter out and when you have the main BAT wire dangling there. You just leave everything disconnected. Plus those things are crap anyway. Half the time they dont work, and some cars the cig lighter is only energized when the key is on, so to work you have to put the key on, now try to power everything through the cig lighter, see how that works.

Usually relearn time is based on reprogramming. I know when I reflashed the compy on my dmax it took 12 full cycles of running through each gear followed by a key cycle (door open, key out of ignition, interior lights out) before it would apply full power. ie: a 300 horse reflash for example wouldn't make "300" horse until after ~15 full cycles.

If a vehicle had to relearn every time I killed it or the batteries died... nothing of mine or the junk I work with would work.

Usually relearn time is based on reprogramming. I know when I reflashed the compy on my dmax it took 12 full cycles of running through each gear followed by a key cycle (door open, key out of ignition, interior lights out) before it would apply full power. ie: a 300 horse reflash for example wouldn't make "300" horse until after ~15 full cycles.

If a vehicle had to relearn every time I killed it or the batteries died... nothing of mine or the junk I work with would work.

Most cars I work on, its not a problem at all. This one seemed a bit excessive. They usually relearn the idle within a couple of blocks of driving.

Ya, I know what the autotune does. But I want to know how it works. Not likely it has a computer. Maybe a simple module, maybe!

"A computer is a machine that manipulates data according to a set of instructions."

I think this is proper description.

This problem in only with the autotune right, the regular one should be fine.

2001 A Woods Oddyssey

I can't wait until the saws reach the level of HAL 9000 (2001 space odyssey), imagine the conversation you will have with your saw (recall the episode with the pod bay doors):

Sawer: Fire it up saw, I need to bring this 30"DBH oak down - open the throttle saw!
Saw: I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that. I don't think this would be a safe felling, it might stress my powerhead.
Sawer: What? Open the throttle saw!
Saw: I can see you are upset Dave, why don't you take a few minutes to relax?
Sawer: WHAT!?!!? You are my saw, open the throttle - now!
(after some unprintable invetives the sawer violently removes the 'puter from the saw and procedes to fell the tree old school style)

I was talking to my dealer last week about the new AT on the 576. He had just been to a Husky conference and "How the computer worked" was the main question on every dealer's mind at the show. Said no one could really get a straight answer from the Husky rep. Go figure. The regular 576's are still available though and are a great saw, but I wouldn't spend MY money on one.

that didn't take long. I received a memo today faxed by a Swedish engineer from Husqvarna. He told me about lean seizures on the new 576. Apparently if they are not run under heavy load when first started, the computer does not reset from the factory default setting, (Which is lean to pass the emissions tests at the factory). Now the funny part, he states the saw must be run in a big log at full throttle for 2-5 minutes to "clue" itself in. I guess they will send a log with every 20 saws? Another Tech manager from Canada told me the saw needs 60 revolutions to complete the feedback loop required to recalibrate. This tells me the saw runs between 12 and 30 rpms, a tad slow for a chainsaw, (or water-wheel for that matter). Cheers, Simon.

So thats the bad news, how do they run once calibrated? Sounds like an instruction to the customer & or dealer setup vs. the trashing of a brand. Couple of things strike me from this series of posts.

1) The is a precursor as the EPA has ultimate power on the emission standards. Trying to build and sell while also developing new technology from scratch isn't easy. The strato saws and now evolving towards Electronic Fuel Injection to run that fine line between epa regs and real world performance is...rough. These regulations require solution unfunded by the legislation and therefore have to be by the marketplace and manufacturers (typical of big gov.). The regulation driven compressed time frames mean offerings like the 575 and 576. Remember the "Bad Casting" thread? Having support from customers and dealers alike is survival in this new world. Look to the Stihl support, thick or thin, at all levels; for a lesson in survival.

2) Husqvarna with the purchase of Redmax and the introduction of a few "strato" saws bit the bullet and defined the problems making it a little easier for the competition to "one up" the origional offerings..Stihl's 441 is like a second generation of that concept.

3) Both Stihl & Husqvarna are "plowing" the road for the rest at SO many levels..Stihl's 280 and now Husqvarna's 576 are first generation adaptive controls...strato saws, 4-Mix motors..etc

4) I would be more PO'ed at the politicians who bought into the global warming scam than the manufacturers.. Canadian's haven't done much to blunt that all encompassing attack! We all live with the results of that political nightmare! I would hope the distribution channels would be more helpfull to support the industry deal with this vs. attacking them as they try.

5) The fact that cyber intelligence is used to control motor performance means by its very nature changes and updates will be cheaper over time as they develop interfaces (They always do!) to update timing curves, mixture curves etc. If I was in the business of tuning and building performace saws, that would be a welcome feature as it would allow aftermarket "value add" that is not available to this point. Its a big thing in the motorcycle and automotive world! You cut metal with CNC machines with programs built by evaluating cyber models built with with CAD systems (Or are you one of the Point Control mindless robots of the CNC world)...get a grip on the electronic ignition/ fuel control devices and move on!

Not impressed with this tone what so ever..and I like the fact that The Stihl folks picked up on the attitude portrayed in this thread so quickly. Marketing..Sales..understanding the art of grabbing market share! Me? If I buy new, I'll buy Jonsered for a lot of non technical reasons, possibly a Stihl 441 for the same types of reasons. And my bet is they will do what I need.

Last edited:

+2

I think in 10 yrs they will have worked out most the issues and there will be some strong, clean running and very smooth saws.

But I don't want to share in the growing pains. For now in that size range I am happy as a bug with my 7900s. Smooth light and strong. Wouldn't mind better fuel useage and less stink, though.

If this is only the beginning of smart and green" saws I am glad that I have a lifetime supply of "dumb and brownfield "ones to choose from.

I do have a fix for the 5 minutes in the wood problem,
ship the saw with a dull chain:)

So thats the bad news, how do they run once calibrated? Sounds like an instruction to the customer & or dealer setup vs. the trashing of a brand. Couple of things strike me from this series of posts.

1) The is a precursor as the EPA has ultimate power on the emission standards. Trying to build and sell while also developing new technology from scratch isn't easy. The strato saws and now evolving towards Electronic Fuel Injection to run that fine line between epa regs and real world performance is...rough. These regulations require solution unfunded by the legislation and therefore have to be by the marketplace and manufacturers (typical of big gov.). The regulation driven compressed time frames mean offerings like the 575 and 576. Remember the "Bad Casting" thread? Having support from customers and dealers alike is survival in this new world. Look to the Stihl support, thick or thin, at all levels; for a lesson in survival.

2) Husqvarna with the purchase of Redmax and the introduction of a few "strato" saws bit the bullet and defined the problems making it a little easier for the competition to "one up" the origional offerings..Stihl's 441 is like a second generation of that concept.

3) Both Stihl & Husqvarna are "plowing" the road for the rest at SO many levels..Stihl's 280 and now Husqvarna's 576 are first generation adaptive controls...strato saws, 4-Mix motors..etc

4) I would be more PO'ed at the politicians who bought into the global warming scam than the manufacturers.. Canadian's haven't done much to blunt that all encompassing attack! We all live with the results of that political nightmare! I would hope the distribution channels would be more helpfull to support the industry deal with this vs. attacking them as they try.

5) The fact that cyber intelligence is used to control motor performance means by its very nature changes and updates will be cheaper over time as they develop interfaces (They always do!) to update timing curves, mixture curves etc. If I was in the business of tuning and building performace saws, that would be a welcome feature as it would allow aftermarket "value add" that is not available to this point. Its a big thing in the motorcycle and automotive world! You cut metal with CNC machines with programs built by evaluating cyber models built with with CAD systems (Or are you one of the Point Control mindless robots of the CNC world)...get a grip on the electronic ignition/ fuel control devices and move on!

Not impressed with this tone what so ever..and I like the fact that The Stihl folks picked up on the attitude portrayed in this thread so quickly. Marketing..Sales..understanding the art of grabbing market share! Me? If I buy new, I'll buy Jonsered for a lot of non technical reasons, possibly a Stihl 441 for the same types of reasons. And my bet is they will do what I need.

Great post.

There is a non-AT 576xp, if you are worried.........:buttkick:

It is lighter as well.

And the 372 is still available, which is lighter yet, more wieldly by far, and with a Muff Mod alone will either match or come awfull close to the 576.

Friends don't let friends run Strato saws!!!!:cry:
(At least until that's all that is left!)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I can't wait until the saws reach the level of HAL 9000 (2001 space odyssey), imagine the conversation you will have with your saw (recall the episode with the pod bay doors):

Sawer: Fire it up saw, I need to bring this 30"DBH oak down - open the throttle saw!
Saw: I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that. I don't think this would be a safe felling, it might stress my powerhead.
Sawer: What? Open the throttle saw!
Saw: I can see you are upset Dave, why don't you take a few minutes to relax?
Sawer: WHAT!?!!? You are my saw, open the throttle - now!
(after some unprintable invetives the sawer violently removes the 'puter from the saw and procedes to fell the tree old school style)
Rep to you thats funny stuff.

Back