The 576 XP, wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oye Ve, I just had a thought...

With the advanced electrical / computer systems that are gonna be put in 2 strokes in the future, I wouldn't doubt it if the owner (homeowner or commercial) will have to get it inspected yearly by the state.

I can see it now, a little "sniffer" to make sure your emissions is correct. And if the saw throws a check engine light, you don't get your sticker until you've paid the mechanic $95 an hour to replace the o2 sensor.....

:cry: :bang:

And the 372 is still available, which is lighter yet, more wieldly by far, and with a Muff Mod alone will either match or come awfull close to the 576.

Friends don't let friends run Strato saws!!!!:cry:
(At least until that's all that is left!)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:agree2:

I stay away until they are more "mature"!

Oye Ve, I just had a thought...

With the advanced electrical / computer systems that are gonna be put in 2 strokes in the future, I wouldn't doubt it if the owner (homeowner or commercial) will have to get it inspected yearly by the state.

I can see it now, a little "sniffer" to make sure your emissions is correct. And if the saw throws a check engine light, you don't get your sticker until you've paid the mechanic $95 an hour to replace the o2 sensor.....

:cry: :bang:

They wouldn't be able to enforce it. A saw/weed eater isn't like a car where it has to travel on public roads, subject to inspection by the police at anytime in order to check inspection/registration. And if it was a renewal notice through the mail one could just say that they simply sold the saw or it is broken/destroyed.

Interesting stuff here, but some of it is conflicting. No failures on anything I have sold. Just sold my demo, and the guy loves it. That saw had 10+ tanks on it, and really came on in the power department. From what I know of the default setting, it is supposed to default "rich", as in if power to the module was lost. A factory temporary "beat the test" setting doesn't sound legal, let alone plausable, but with new stuff, you never know, and I do think that Simon knows his stuff pretty good. If that info is accurate, and if the solution is as simple as poking the saw into a log at set-up, it shouldn't be a problem for a decent shop. But I would expect Husky would communicate that info to dealers. I'll make a phone call today and see if I can learn anything.

One thing that I already know is that 372's are winding down a lot faster than I expected. As of Monday, there were less than 500 in the entire country. ( a few less than that after my order. haha) My contact didn't know if there were any more inbound, but said he doubted it this late in the year. He may be right, as they arrived yesterday and the build dates were week 38. And that's for regular 372's. There are no XPW's at all. I got the standard 2 week backorder message on weborder, but we'll have to wait and see. My guess would be that they would jam in a few containers of them before the end of the year. I think i'm going to order a few more today. It's not called hoarding guys, it's called stocking up!! LOL

I just bought my 372 a few weeks ago - the dealer said that he was down to his last 2 and that there were fewer than 500 left in the country. If a 372 is on your wish list you will need to make your move in the next month or so.

I just bought my 372 a few weeks ago - the dealer said that he was down to his last 2 and that there were fewer than 500 left in the country. If a 372 is on your wish list you will need to make your move in the next month or so.

I did that 3 years ago...... :biggrinbounce2: :laugh::laugh:

That model has been "discontinued" in the US before, and then returned - but I guess it is for real this time!

Interesting stuff here, but some of it is conflicting. No failures on anything I have sold. Just sold my demo, and the guy loves it. That saw had 10+ tanks on it, and really came on in the power department. From what I know of the default setting, it is supposed to default "rich", as in if power to the module was lost. A factory temporary "beat the test" setting doesn't sound legal, let alone plausable, but with new stuff, you never know, and I do think that Simon knows his stuff pretty good. If that info is accurate, and if the solution is as simple as poking the saw into a log at set-up, it shouldn't be a problem for a decent shop. But I would expect Husky would communicate that info to dealers. I'll make a phone call today and see if I can learn anything.

Nice to see you here - keep us informed! ;)

One thing that I already know is that 372's are winding down a lot faster than I expected. As of Monday, there were less than 500 in the entire country. ( a few less than that after my order. haha) My contact didn't know if there were any more inbound, but said he doubted it this late in the year. He may be right, as they arrived yesterday and the build dates were week 38. And that's for regular 372's. There are no XPW's at all. I got the standard 2 week backorder message on weborder, but we'll have to wait and see. My guess would be that they would jam in a few containers of them before the end of the year. I think i'm going to order a few more today. It's not called hoarding guys, it's called stocking up!! LOL

Good post Spike. In a normal world you should be right!
It sounds very strange that the saw would come lean from the factory with
risk for seizure to get around some emission requirements´in a questionable way. I don't know if there is a certain test cysle for EPA but I guess the saw
should run for a while both heavily loaded and at idle and so on just like
for the Euro6 / Bin5 regulations for passenger cars etc?
Personally I like the idea of microcontrolled injection, a carb is by no means perfect. Also, Simon says he has not yet seen one seized saw. I think there will be a lot less seizures with Autotune that with people setting the carbs to lean. How is it powered ? Like the heated handles ?

.. A factory temporary "beat the test" setting doesn't sound legal, let alone plausable, but with new stuff, you never know, and I do think that Simon knows his stuff pretty good.

It's certainly plausible and certainly illegal. Diesel truck manufacturers programmed the engine control software to sense when the engine was being tested and changed the injection timing to reduce NOx. The EPA was slow to catch on, but ultimately in 1998 settled with seven manufacturers to the tune of one billion dollars.

http://yosemite1.epa.gov/opa/admpre...93e9e651adeed6b7852566a60069ad2e?OpenDocument

The EPA was slow to recognize the problem even when multiple whistleblowers raised the issue. The funniest thing is that in 1991 Mercedes Benz showed the EPA test data from a competitor's engine that defeated the testing cycle and asked if they could do it too.

http://www.walshcarlines.com/pdf/housereport.pdf

(long House report).

Buy what good "old style saws" you can. By the next election this Country will be so screwed down by the EPA nothing will be right.

People that make the laws for the two stroke industry probably have never even used a Chainsaw!!

You mean leftist nutjobs that "love" the environment and see all internal combustion engines as bad for the health of the earth. If they(epa, liberals and the green movement)had their way with us all, we all be living in mud huts, riding bicycles, and eating soy wheat cakes. The so called green movement is not really about saving anything. It is all about control of are personal lives and wealth redistribution by force of the federal government.

A good chunk of americans living in urban america voted for the man child. Now we all have to live with the fall out having a uber leftist president, senate, and house. Say good by to your money and freedoms. Because they(politicians) DO NOT care what we want or think about the direction america is going. It is and always be about them and THEIR agendas. They are so brazen what they do anything they want to do. The threat of being voted out of office DOES NOT scare them...

perhaps this has future potential to modernize saw engines and make some really great products in the future.

in the meantime, i'm glad i have a 372!

You mean leftist nutjobs that "love" the environment and see all internal combustion engines as bad for the health of the earth. If they(epa, liberals and the green movement)had their way with us all, we all be living in mud huts, riding bicycles, and eating soy wheat cakes. The so called green movement is not really about saving anything. It is all about control of are personal lives and wealth redistribution by force of the federal government.

A good chunk of americans living in urban america voted for the man child. Now we all have to live with the fall out having a uber leftist president, senate, and house. Say good by to your money and freedoms. Because they(politicians) DO NOT care what we want or think about the direction america is going. It is and always be about them and THEIR agendas. They are so brazen what they do anything they want to do. The threat of being voted out of office DOES NOT scare them...

Wrong forum GM.

Wow... you got your foil hat on mang?

Gary

The idea of having the tools to modify timing curves and fuel delivery curves thru modified ignition / engine control moduals has to be a new area for performance saw builder to explore...sounds like fun. I wonder what the architecture of the system is. Is it a similar deal where "burning" new chips a possibility? Or is everything all balled up in a wad of plastic "potting" material on those new Husqvarna's.

This is nothing more than a old dealer not wanting to learn the new technology. In my 30 years of working in powertrain engineering I have seen many good mechanics put down their tools from fear of electronic controls. The sad truth is they could have been stars if they had only learned how to use the electronic tools. The use of electronic controls is only going to increase. The systems from a service viewpoint will get simpler with electronic control
ZG

This is nothing more than a old dealer not wanting to learn the new technology. In my 30 years of working in powertrain engineering I have seen many good mechanics put down their tools from fear of electronic controls. The sad truth is they could have been stars if they had only learned how to use the electronic tools. The use of electronic controls is only going to increase. The systems from a service viewpoint will get simpler with electronic control
ZG

i'm going to go ahead and disagree with you on this one. technology is good, but new engineering has that pesky habit of being implemented long before its perfected, or even achieved reliability.

the fact that every dealer seems to be unable to get answers about this P.O.S. has alarm bells ringing. the last thing a faller needs is some stupid sensor to rattle off while he's in the middle of a dangerous situation with snags or technical falling, all in the name of improved fuel efficiency. i'll carry a few extra litres of gas with a smile on my face rather than run a 576.

i'm going to go ahead and disagree with you on this one. technology is good, but new engineering has that pesky habit of being implemented long before its perfected, or even achieved reliability.

the fact that every dealer seems to be unable to get answers about this P.O.S. has alarm bells ringing. the last thing a faller needs is some stupid sensor to rattle off while he's in the middle of a dangerous situation with snags or technical falling, all in the name of improved fuel efficiency. i'll carry a few extra litres of gas with a smile on my face rather than run a 576.

Stuff happens with the current saws in those dangerous situations too, just very rarely. I really doubt you'll see an increase in logger mortality because of computer controlled saws, if anything they'll save lives.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back