The age we live in... depressed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't like it then don't buy it its that simple. With the world heading in the direction its heading the LAST thing im concerned about it the technology in a chainsaw.

Last edited:
Not true. It's all in the coil and carb, an extremely simple design.

Really?? Well, it must be magic then.
So the M-Tronic system (according to Stihl) constantly adjusts fuel mixture...
But it does this without any added (constantly) moving parts or diaphragms in the carburetor? There's no added ports, covers, screws, gaskets, whatever to the carb? No extra added (and costly) machining or labor during manufacturing and assembly? The carb is still just as easy to repair or rebuild, and no extra parts, gaskets, diaphragms or hardware required to rebuild? Don't need any special tools to test, diagnose, adjust or repair the carb?

Well I'll be a......... freakin' magic... just freakin' magic!

Damn hard for me to see something as “progress” if it ain’t needed or necessary and adds cost to the product. I’ve never had any problems keeping a saw running properly without that stuff… so where is the need or necessity?

I’ll stick with the KISS theory… ain’t failed me yet.

Define "needed"! :blob2::blob2:

AutoTune and M-Tronic makes it easier on the user, and works better than traditional carb tuning, regarding how the saw performs in varying conditions.

Fits the KISS rule just fine! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Since stratified scavenging has such good effect on emissions (I breathe that air too!) and fuel consumption, the three most recently acquired 2-strokes here have it, as will any others to come.

It adds a throttled inlet & some porting cast/machined into piston. Maybe .5 ounce. BFD! I suspect it's yet another benefit, with outside air passed through piston skirt, cooling it.

Never does good to stand there and stamp your feet. Just stirs up dust.

Since stratified scavenging has such good effect on emissions (I breathe that air too!) and fuel consumption, the three most recently acquired 2-strokes here have it, as will any others to come. .....

That actually is dubious, but it changes some parameters that the EPA measures. If you look at the specific consumption numbers, they usually don't confirm the fuel savings that the brands claim? :confused:

I suspect it more is done to please the EPA, than it really is to saving any environment.

The real question is why the EPA bothers with these small two-strokes anyway, as it is like pissing in the ocean. The ugly truth likely is to defend their own existense, when they are not allowed to do anything with what really matters to the environment anyway!

I drive a '68 pickup, do woodwork with planes and chisels, hunt with a bow and a flintlock, don't own a cell phone, and am working on a vacuum tube preamplifier for my turntable. I even have a 486 DOS machine that I still use. I love cutting with my old saws, and have been doing a lot of clearing with a Pulaski, bush axe and machete.

What I don't do is ##### about the new stuff. I have the luxury of doing things the way I want to, because I don't do it for a living. If I did, I'd be using different tools.

The innovations that you don't like make things easier and more efficient for those that need them, or get the saws to meet emissions requirements without huge sacrifices in function.

Perhaps you'd prefer empty shelves at your local dealership?

I don't care if someone wants to be a vegetarian, because what they eat doesn't make me crap, but I can't stand the ones that have to let you know they are vegetarians by incessantly #####ing about what is on the menu.

Our Grandparents would be turning in their graves if they new how dependant we have become on new technology.

Yeah, my grandfather would have much rather done more work for less yield on our farm. I'm surprised he didn't trade his tractor in for some oxen.

Romaticism sure makes people say stupid things.

Last edited:
I got sucked into this thread to only find out it was a lead in to an anti government rant. Grow up, you don't seem to mind any of the other technology advances that allow you to live an easy life and participate on this forum.

If you don't like technology don't buy or use it. You might want to start by severing your Internet connection to spare us this garbage.

Something’s to day I like something’s I don't ,1950's is where I want to live Cars were built better back than like my 1929 boat motor had to have a battery for it to run until magneto came out than the was cool. But my truck will always have a carburetor. but I do like cell phones when something happens in the middle of nowhere.

The only thing I do not like to is those new gas cans today with the safety vents I spill gas all over the place you need 3 hands to use one.:mad:

I forgot to say, what actually is good about the pressure that EPA puts on the saw brands, is that it provokes other developments, that might not have happened if the saw brands could continue to do what they did earlier. :msp_wink:

Husky have managed to break the trend towards heavier saws - I wonder when the other brand will be able to do it.....:msp_biggrin:

That actually is dubious, but it changes some parameters that the EPA measures. If you look at the specific consumption numbers, they usually don't confirm the fuel savings that the brands claim? :confused:

I suspect it more is done to please the EPA, than it really is to saving any environment.

The real question is why the EPA bothers with these small two-strokes anyway, as it is like pissing in the ocean. The ugly truth likely is to defend their own existense, when they are not allowed to do anything with what really matters to the environment anyway!

The worst is bunker fuel on all these large cargo ships and various other large vessels. Global trade, because it relies primarily on these huge ships running that bunker fuel, is set to make those ships be the number one emitters by around 2020 unless the engines can be refined or some other actions taken.

In a limited defence of the epa (even though I have bashed them regularly here), I can distinctly remember when US major urban areas had yellow/brown air all the time. Some places you couldn't even see down to the end of the street from the hazy stuff. Something was needed, the "industry" had zero regard for any sort of pollution, they were not going to do anything about it unless forced to. Same with water pollution.

Younger folks (still talking USA) today have never even seen anything like that unless they have travelled to some other nation with zero or non enforced emissions codes. and once you start making exceptions, then the next bloc wants exceptions for their engines, and so on. Plain jane old school two strokes are particular nasty when it comes to being wasteful of fuel. Strong yes, simpler to work on in some regards yes, but also much dirtier. Plus, the operator is standing right there very close to the exhaust.

A couple of "gadgets" or better designs is not that bad to reduce your own personal exposure while operating equipment.

Now some guys wouldn't care, most people given a choice would rather be around a small engine device that was a little less nasty as to the clouds of toxic stuff it emits.

I dont mind new technology, most makes a saw more comfortable to run. But Iam not going to buy newly released stuff. I will let others be guinea pigs. When it is well proven I may proceed to buy. I have saws that have proven track records that fill the gap until the newly released technology proves satisfactory to do so at the cost of others not me. After all AS is a great way to get information on new products if they are failing or not.

I got sucked into this thread to only find out it was a lead in to an anti government rant. Grow up, you don't seem to mind any of the other technology advances...

Say what?? Where is the “anti government rant” Guido??
And I love new technology if it makes sense and reduces cost to me (it’s cheaper to run my microwave for 80 seconds than preheat and use the oven). All I’m sayin’ is not all new technology can be classified as an “advance”.

So if all this new chainsaw technology is an actual advance… answer me these questions…
Why is it that the Stihl “MS” series of saws are heavier, bulkier, and require larger displacement engines to deliver the same rated power (on average) as the previous “0xx” series saws?
And how can you call that an “advancement”?

I drive a '68 pickup, do woodwork with planes and chisels, hunt with a bow and a flintlock, don't own a cell phone, and am working on a vacuum tube preamplifier for my turntable. I even have a 486 DOS machine that I still use. I love cutting with my old saws, and have been doing a lot of clearing with a Pulaski, bush axe and machete.

What I don't do is ##### about the new stuff. I have the luxury of doing things the way I want to, because I don't do it for a living. If I did, I'd be using different tools.

The innovations that you don't like make things easier and more efficient for those that need them, or get the saws to meet emissions requirements without huge sacrifices in function.

Perhaps you'd prefer empty shelves at your local dealership?

I don't care if someone wants to be a vegetarian, because what they eat doesn't make me crap, but I can't stand the ones that have to let you know they are vegetarians by incessantly #####ing about what is on the menu.

Yeah, my grandfather would have much rather done more work for less yield on our farm. I'm surprised he didn't trade his tractor in for some oxen.

Romaticism sure makes people say stupid things.

I'm not talking about tractors ande ox's. I'm talking about being dependent on things we really don't need. My grandparent owned a large farm also and because they provided for themselves they really didn't have to worry about the economy or the price of food. We have completely forgotten how to take care of ourselves for the most part.

I'm not talking about tractors ande ox's. I'm talking about being dependent on things we really don't need. My grandparent owned a large farm also and because they provided for themselves they really didn't have to worry about the economy or the price of food. We have completely forgotten how to take care of ourselves for the most part.

Again, you are just talking out of some misty-eyed, Norman Rockwell view of what the world might have been like. If there is one thing that all farmer's do worry about, it is the price of food.

It is true that a staggering proportion of our population is unable to fend for themselves, but technology isn't to blame.

Latest posts

Back