The age we live in... depressed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People have been cutting down trees and burning wood for a very, very long time. A chainsaw, any chainsaw, IS new technology. I'm not sure how one draws that fine a line, between exactly what level of new technology is OK and which is not. Seems kind of arbitrary to me. If you can't get or afford fuel for it it really makes no difference at all. Which is why I'm also collecting traditional tools that don't require fuel or an industrial manufacturing system at all.

There are a lot of those little yellow top handle saws around that you could use! :msp_scared: :D :msp_sneaky:

*****EDIT****(An example of backwards progress!)

Exactly what I was thinking post up your address and your front porch could be filled with top handle saws:msp_ohmy:

Oh… I get it now… if’n I buy a saw with IntelliCarb I’ll never have to clean the air filter…
Say what? I still have to clean the air filter?? Well, if that’s the case, what possible reason do I have to pay extra for the IntelliCarb and all of its extra vents, tubes, holes, diaphragms and whatnot?
Naw… I’ll stick with the KISS theory… ain’t failed me yet.
That was my point - why on earth would it cost more to connect the diaphragm vent to the inside of the air filter than it does to connect it to the outside, when every cheap lawn mower does it and even my oldest chainsaw did? It doesn't cost more, nor does it affect performance, nor does it add to complexity - it's just that doing it one way is a dumb design mistake and doing it properly is not.

It's irritating when some manufacturer finally corrects a stupid error that every other industry figured out years ago (and some in that industry too) and then has the gall to call it a feature and charge for it! If you don't get the new IntelliCarb, do they give you StupidCarb?

Then it's kind of funny when someone says they'd really have it done the old, poor way!

I guess that the M-tronic and Auto-Tune systems will never fail!:dizzy:

I agree completely with the OP. I'm all for progress and technological advancements, but it is a certainty that not all new technology is PROGRESS.
To me anything that takes the ability to control/troubleshoot/repair and maintain a piece of equipment out of the hands of the operator can NEVER be called an advancement.
Anything that ties an owner to a dealer for what should otherwise be simple maintainence and repair is not progress to me.

I lived through the sixties and the seventies and I know exactly what smog and pollution are.
I totally agree that something needed to be done to clean up the environment, but we passed that a long time ago. Now all we are cleaning is ourselves out of GOOD jobs.

Mike

I got sucked into this thread to only find out it was a lead in to an anti government rant. Grow up, you don't seem to mind any of the other technology advances that allow you to live an easy life and participate on this forum.

If you don't like technology don't buy or use it. You might want to start by severing your Internet connection to spare us this garbage.

Government and polititians actually is the culprit, and not only in the US - they are herassing the small engine people, to pretend they are doing something for the environment, while not daring to touch what really counts regarding that same environment! :angry2::angry2:

Over here, they are putting "environment tax" on stuff, to collect more money from the working people. It is worst on new cars, as it makes them so expensive that people keep using their old ones, that pollute a lot more, and is less safe in case of an accident.:help:

I'll have to bail from this thread now, before my blood pressure really go up.....

Wow! This one is off the hook! I'm gonna go thru and read this again later. WCTV's servers are melting down. Gosh, more technology.

Why are computers on cars? I like setting my timing under a streetlamp on small block Chevy. Had anyone else ever noticed that 60 cycle hum will just allow your harmonic balancer to appear to begin spinning backward when she's optimized? They went to all that emisison garbage, and then were required to have On Board Diagnostic system 1 on every car. OBD 2 was cool though cause you could range out and cycle all your relays and motors. Now with controller area network/OBD2 it can be done to your car from a cell phone in a cave in Afganistan. Everything is that interconnected.

Easy to start? Pffft. Decompression valve was too much tech for me. More moving parts.

Whitespider, I went for the MS201T cause I didn't want a fuel purge bulb on none of my saws.

If i wanted a Top handle saw for lighter duty, I think I'd look at gettin' a Tanaka Top handle shipped to my door for less than $250.

I don't like seein' a good guy get depressed.

That was my point - why on earth would it cost more to connect the diaphragm vent to the inside of the air filter than it does to connect it to the outside, when every cheap lawn mower does it and even my oldest chainsaw did? It doesn't cost more, nor does it affect performance, nor does it add to complexity - it's just that doing it one way is a dumb design mistake and doing it properly is not.

Either we're not talking about the same thing or I'm just flat lost. I've never seen this connection from a diaphragm "to the inside of the air filter" on any lawn mower... most all my small engines just have a air filter plopped on top of an intake manifold, and the only "vent" connected to any of it is the crankcase vent into the manifold.
The carb on my saw doesn't have any sort of "compensating" diaphragm, vent, hose or connection to the outside or inside of the air filter.
It has one simple fuel pump diaphragm that also opens and closes the needle by way of engine impulse.
The "cost" and "complexity" is in the actual unneeded IntelliCarb (or whatever you want to call it) diaphragm style itself... wherever the vent connects.

The "Electronic" and "Quick Stop" have been on Stihl saws since the late 70's or early 80's.

Fancy-schmancy words for "electronic ignition" and "inertia induced chain brake".

Gary

Really?? Well, it must be magic then.
So the M-Tronic system (according to Stihl) constantly adjusts fuel mixture...
But it does this without any added (constantly) moving parts or diaphragms in the carburetor? There's no added ports, covers, screws, gaskets, whatever to the carb? No extra added (and costly) machining or labor during manufacturing and assembly? The carb is still just as easy to repair or rebuild, and no extra parts, gaskets, diaphragms or hardware required to rebuild? Don't need any special tools to test, diagnose, adjust or repair the carb?

Well I'll be a......... freakin' magic... just freakin' magic!
All you're doing is proving that you know nothing about what you're talking about.

Latest posts

Back